U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM

15,846 posts, read 19,804,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So, each distinctive region in the world seems to have it's own tastes and flavors that stand out. However, there are certain foods (and especially drinks) that are just, all over. A number of the ones mentioned, but there also others that seem to some degree to be ubiquitous everywhere. So, given the opportunity to go to one city in the world in order to taste these products, and just sort of an atmosphere that caters to people who like these sort of things, where would you go? Feel free to add others.

For me:
Coffee in US: Seattle World: Trieste Italy or Bogota Colombia
Beer in US: Portland World: Munich Germany
Wine in US: San Francisco World: Florence Italy
Spirits in US: Louisville World: Dublin Ireland
Tea in US: ...Bueller? Victoria BC or Niagara on the Lake in Americas World: London UK or Kyoto Japan
Pizza (Not completely universal, but relatively common in the west): New Haven CT in US, Naples in world (obviously)
Street Food: New Orleans or Philadelphia in US, Mexico City in Americas, Berlin in Europe, Singapore/Hong Kong in Asia

Where/what else? What are your thoughts on these?
I would say New York for pizza. Anyway:

Coffee: US, Seattle. World, Trieste, Florence Italy
Beer: US, for mega market, Saint Louis. Overall variety and craft, Portland, OR
Wine: US, San Francisco. World Bordeaux France.
Spirits: US, can't pin one place down. World, Dublin Ireland
Tea: Not sure the US is on this running. World, London
Street Food: US, New York. Not sure of the world.
Seafood: US, Boston, Seattle. World, Brussels or Tokyo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 PM

2,972 posts, read 1,951,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

I might say NYC too (though Frank Pepe seems to be rated #1 overall), but I wanted to put New Haven instead to very subtly troll New Yorkers and see if I'd get a comment saying otherwise Sorry. I pretty much agree with all your other picks, BTW. Brussels for seafood too, even though they aren't a port?! Even the fact that they are listed in your tops though means, I really need to get there.

As for the other poster re: Darjeeling, you're probably right, I just didn't know where the true center was there. I'm sure there's some degree of tea culture there in the more affluent sections of town especially, though everyone I'm sure has it in home. Many portions of the world are very, very serious about tea (see: the price of tea in China, a common metaphor for IDK what). In fact, tea actually is the most consumed beverage in the world after water, and I believe that even means more than all alcoholic beverages, COMBINED. But yeah, the US definitely isn't in the running in regards to "tea shops" or high tea, N.O.T.L. and Victoria in Canada, that is much more a part of their city than anywhere in the US. If ANYWHERE in the US though, maybe Charleston? I don't know if they have "sweet tea" cafes there, but I do know that it is a major southern port and sweet tea is huge in the south, it was on one of those many not necessarily meaningful "Top 10" lists. Regarding the "epicenter" of Colombian coffee, which while I don't think is the highest producer, but many feel the "best" coffee comes from there due to the setting/climate, this town is the MAJOR epicenter, but I'm sure it's ubiquitous in the major cities there too.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/t...s.html?mcubz=1
Brazil is actually a HUGE coffee producing nation too, I think maybe the largest, so Sao Paulo probably has some good shops.

Rice is another one that is pretty universal. I'm almost certain China has the most production, but in regards to rice terraces, the ones in the Philippines (Banaue) and those in Bali are considered the most impressive/beautiful, at least according to people who pay attention to those sorts of things. Granted, rice won't be THAT different, but at the same time, when rice is cooked well, you can tell the difference.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,652,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

coffee is so average in the usa , starbucks is considered a treat

where as its no different than mc donalds when it comes to burgers and fries

Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM

15,846 posts, read 19,804,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
coffee is so average in the usa , starbucks is considered a treat

where as its no different than mc donalds when it comes to burgers and fries
Starbucks may be headquartered in Seattle but Seattle has WAY more than Starbucks. Starbucks is just one that spread. When you live in Seattle, you know where the good coffee is so when I say Seattle for coffee, you need to understand that it's not just about Starbucks.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 PM

14,507 posts, read 10,549,072 times
New Zealand is the capital for fish and chips -others (the Brits) might try to claim that title, but we all know that Brits are liars and cheats.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:16 AM

2,473 posts, read 3,302,014 times
Wine : Burgundy
Beer: Munich
Tea: Kyoto? Can't say for sure. London? Moscow? tough call
Pizza: New York
Coffee: Vienna
Street food: Bangkok

Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 AM

2,473 posts, read 3,302,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Coffee: brasilia Brazil
Beer: Munich Germany
Tea: Kanazawa Japan
Wine: Bordeaux France
Pizza: New York (better than Naples) United States
Street food: Casablanca Morocco
Meat: New Dheli India
I suppose if by "meat" you mean the best place to actually BE a cow then I could agree with Delhi.

I was terrified of trying any meat in Delhi outside my hotel.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,612,119 times
Coffee: Seattle, Bogota

Beer: Munich, Brussels, Denver, Portland

Tea: London, Darjeeling, Shanghai

Spirits: Kentucky/Tennessee (Bourbon), Moscow (Whiskey), Jamaica (Rum)

Pizza: New York City, Chicago, Naples

Street Food: NYC, Austin, TX, Bangkok

Meat: Buenos Aires, Kansas City (BBQ)

Cheese: Paris, Wisconsin

Old 09-07-2017, 04:17 PM

10,210 posts, read 10,399,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Cheese: Paris, Wisconsin
Gouda.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM

10,542 posts, read 9,162,140 times
Those who considered Seattle as having the best coffee should really ashamed of themselves.

And how eurocentric people here are! Funny to see so many who think a bunch of European countries have the best tea, especially considering the word "tea" comes from Chinese.

I also know many westerners who think tea should be in the form of tea bags. Ouch, that's like saying Nestle instant coffee is great coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World