Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Since types of food and drink have spread so much in our modern world (although certainly not everywhere), I think you have a point. But what I think most people are talking about when they talk about destinations, is atmosphere.

Can you get Bavarian beers imported, or taste Bavarian style beers in breweries in the US and other parts of the world? Yes. But, can you go to THE Oktoberfest, and take in the atmosphere of a Bavarian style biergarten in any city in the world? Certainly not.

Likewise goes for the atmosphere of a coffee shop(s) in a Trieste or Jardin, or street food in say Bangkok or Singapore (though admittedly, from what I understand, the selection of Asian style dishes there is truly distinctive, more so even than the most authentic places in an NYC, so perhaps that's a little different, plus, price point.)
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Mostly Australians go on about their coffee. On travel forums, besides tipping, it seems their major topic is hoping that where they are going is going to have as good as coffee as Australia. Some come and drink dishwasher cafe coffee and feign horror, to probably prove a point, while ignoring the many brilliant coffee houses that exist even in poor old Vancouver. Some do go to the good places and seem astonished that good coffee can be had elsewhere

One Aussie bragged theirs was the best in the world...ignoring the fact that the coffee cultures around the world ( except Turkish etc ) are European style based for a reason and that perhaps, just perhaps Europe has good coffee as well.

Reminds me of a decorating show, where an American decorator while waking down a San Franciscan street, bragged how San Fran was the Fung Shui capital of the world. The English host, said " Um...wouldn't that be in China? " LOL
I think good coffee can be found in most cities, but I also believe that the potential of finding good coffee is much higher in Melbourne than in most other cities. I think Vienna, Stockholm and Copenhagen should also be mentioned alongside Melbourne.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Melbourne is definitely food heaven, but I got the impression I thought the coffee was great mainly because of the general atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't. I think our coffee scene is good, and lots to choose from, but nowhere is like sitting in a cafe in the south of France, or reading a newspaper in the back of an old Viennese coffee house with a slice of Sachertorte.

Beer is getting there. Street food is pretty good here, but it's food trucks and not really a street.
The whole sitting in Europe thing doesn't seem that important, although I'm sure I would enjoy it. Quality coffee and quality food are the essence of the cafe experience and and I think that probably exists anywhere people take those seriously.

Quote:
Since types of food and drink have spread so much in our modern world (although certainly not everywhere), I think you have a point. But what I think most people are talking about when they talk about destinations, is atmosphere.

Can you get Bavarian beers imported, or taste Bavarian style beers in breweries in the US and other parts of the world? Yes. But, can you go to THE Oktoberfest, and take in the atmosphere of a Bavarian style biergarten in any city in the world? Certainly not.

Likewise goes for the atmosphere of a coffee shop(s) in a Trieste or Jardin, or street food in say Bangkok or Singapore (though admittedly, from what I understand, the selection of Asian style dishes there is truly distinctive, more so even than the most authentic places in an NYC, so perhaps that's a little different, plus, price point.)
I don't place the cafe culture of Trieste (which I wasn't specifically aware of) or world cities, in the same league as Oktoberfest, or perhaps even Asian street food.

I think a cafe atmosphere is easily achieved. I can understand that the Euro thing might be a bucket list thing for some people, but I'm not sure that they it would necessarily be the pinnacle of cafe experiences, beyond the initial "wow!, I'm here" experience.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Melbourne is definitely food heaven, but I got the impression I thought the coffee was great mainly because of the general atmosphere.
Personally I think Melbourne is overrated generally from a food perspective, it's the setting that makes it taste good. Though the one thing I miss most when im in Seoul is a good flat white

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-09-2017 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,916,376 times
Southeast Asian coffee is incredibly smooth without any interruption. Really not having any comparisons with Sub Saharan market trade export beans. Vietnam is correctly capitalizing on these prizes of agriculture. Independent Coffee Houses are famous over there, typically in Saigon for first referencing of attention. When moving on next with the tea fantasies, China, Japan, Taiwan are enacting past classical ancient tons of technical caffeine. Switching from the collective into singular for the beer of Germany. Are they really a nightlife hotspot for these cities of Berlin, Munich, Dresden, Leipzig? France, Italy, Spain, Thailand are endlessly supplying us with flavorful alcoholic pressures that are even able to be sweet. What is even further vital to this entire operation of entrepreneurial business flow is the entire ambiance of the storefront.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:59 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Is it really that big a deal if people think places in the US are good? You do realize that probably 90% of forumers here are likely from the US, and thus, are probably going to have more experiences from the US right? Isn't it a bit condescending to suggest that just because the food scene in Austin might not be as dynamic as some European or Southeast Asian cities, that it doesn't have a good one at all? Remember the US is a melting pot. It does have cuisine from all over the world as a reflection of its diversity (more so than a number of countries), and it does it well.

I think in regards to tea, it's about tea culture as much as production. And it's difficult to deny that London has tea culture down.

I think you'll see that poster, as many in this thread have universally cited a number of international places, perhaps naming US places they've experienced and thought were good, along with that. Why do you have such a big problem with that? I get that certain people on here might not know what the best places in the world, or destinations for things like these are, that's why I created the thread. I even educated myself about places in India (Darjeeling) and Jardin (Colombia) that were more of centers for tea/coffee production than the major cities in the country were. But at the same time also (it would stand to reason that a major city in that region/country would have more of a "culture" for that thing that most other places in the world. Respectfully, perhaps instead of insulting and belittling, we could do more e planning and informing and discussing? Just a thought.
No, your topic is "global capital" of this and that, so whether 90% of members here are Americans or not is irrelevant.

Where exactly did I say street food in Austin is "not a good one at all"? I was pointing out that Austin cannot possibly be the "global capital of street food", which this thread is about.

And why exactly "London has tea culture hands down"?? Do you know anything about the tea culture in India or China or Turkey? Do you know how many kinds of teas are there? The British only drink black tea. Does that make green tea completely irrelevant, simply because western people do not drink it? For Christ's sake, do you know the Chinese started to harvest and drink tea hundreds of years before the British? DO you know South Americans started to have coffee hundreds of years before there was a city called "Seattle", not to mention the birth of Starbucks?

I was not condescending and insulting. Your entire post is. And extremely ignorant.

Your title should be "Cities I know which have good street food/coffee/tea/pizza etc". When you know so little about the world beyond the US and a few western cities, you should not talk about "global capital".

Old 09-28-2017, 02:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, your topic is "global capital" of this and that, so whether 90% of members here are Americans or not is irrelevant.

Where exactly did I say street food in Austin is "not a good one at all"? I was pointing out that Austin cannot possibly be the "global capital of street food", which this thread is about.

And why exactly "London has tea culture hands down"?? Do you know anything about the tea culture in India or China or Turkey? Do you know how many kinds of teas are there? The British only drink black tea. Does that make green tea completely irrelevant, simply because western people do not drink it? For Christ's sake, do you know the Chinese started to harvest and drink tea hundreds of years before the British? DO you know South Americans started to have coffee hundreds of years before there was a city called "Seattle", not to mention the birth of Starbucks?

I was not condescending and insulting. Your entire post is. And extremely ignorant.

Your title should be "Cities I know which have good street food/coffee/tea/pizza etc". When you know so little about the world beyond the US and a few western cities, you should not talk about "global capital".
Well to many Americans, the US is the world. How often have you heard an American say someone or something was " world famous " or " the best in the world " or " first in the world " when it actually isn't.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

In the last post, you said something along the lines of "Austin, Street Food capital? Right. How many walkable streets are there in Austin. Ever been to Marrakesh, Bangkok, etc? Guess not."

Look, I agree with you! Austin is not on the level of those cities for that (I believe I mentioned at least one, as did the other poster) But isn't there a gentler way of saying that?

In the post replying to me, you said, in consecutive lines "When you know so little about the world", and "My post was not condescending."

Now, I'm not suggesting you were trying to be, but whether in typed or spoken conversation, not a small number of people might take talk like that as condescending. What exactly in my post did you find condescending? Whatever it is, I do apologize.

And check over my post, because I said London had tea culture down, not hands down. Are British high teas not a famed part of British culture, that London, its capital is well known, perhaps world famous for? I don't believe I mentioned Seattle (POSSIBLY for US, but I don't remember), but I did mention Darjeeling in another post, and I didn't suggest that other places in China or India weren't famous for it too.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
I don’t remember any street food in Berlin. Where is it? Do people mean the Christmas Market? The food from Christmas Market is mediocre at best tbh.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:53 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
For me,

Coffee: Kobe, Japan (I like siphon coffee) or Bogota, Colombia
Beer: Munich, Germany
Wine: Bordeaux, France
Tea: Hangzhou, China
Pizza: Naples, Italy
Street Food: Tainan, Taiwan (Taipei will do also) or Penang, Malaysia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World