U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

8,687 posts, read 5,987,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Since types of food and drink have spread so much in our modern world (although certainly not everywhere), I think you have a point. But what I think most people are talking about when they talk about destinations, is atmosphere.

Can you get Bavarian beers imported, or taste Bavarian style beers in breweries in the US and other parts of the world? Yes. But, can you go to THE Oktoberfest, and take in the atmosphere of a Bavarian style biergarten in any city in the world? Certainly not.

Likewise goes for the atmosphere of a coffee shop(s) in a Trieste or Jardin, or street food in say Bangkok or Singapore (though admittedly, from what I understand, the selection of Asian style dishes there is truly distinctive, more so even than the most authentic places in an NYC, so perhaps that's a little different, plus, price point.)
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

653 posts, read 256,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Mostly Australians go on about their coffee. On travel forums, besides tipping, it seems their major topic is hoping that where they are going is going to have as good as coffee as Australia. Some come and drink dishwasher cafe coffee and feign horror, to probably prove a point, while ignoring the many brilliant coffee houses that exist even in poor old Vancouver. Some do go to the good places and seem astonished that good coffee can be had elsewhere

One Aussie bragged theirs was the best in the world...ignoring the fact that the coffee cultures around the world ( except Turkish etc ) are European style based for a reason and that perhaps, just perhaps Europe has good coffee as well.

Reminds me of a decorating show, where an American decorator while waking down a San Franciscan street, bragged how San Fran was the Fung Shui capital of the world. The English host, said " Um...wouldn't that be in China? " LOL
I think good coffee can be found in most cities, but I also believe that the potential of finding good coffee is much higher in Melbourne than in most other cities. I think Vienna, Stockholm and Copenhagen should also be mentioned alongside Melbourne.

Old Today, 12:01 AM

14,215 posts, read 10,111,296 times
Melbourne is definitely food heaven, but I got the impression I thought the coffee was great mainly because of the general atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't. I think our coffee scene is good, and lots to choose from, but nowhere is like sitting in a cafe in the south of France, or reading a newspaper in the back of an old Viennese coffee house with a slice of Sachertorte.

Beer is getting there. Street food is pretty good here, but it's food trucks and not really a street.
The whole sitting in Europe thing doesn't seem that important, although I'm sure I would enjoy it. Quality coffee and quality food are the essence of the cafe experience and and I think that probably exists anywhere people take those seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Since types of food and drink have spread so much in our modern world (although certainly not everywhere), I think you have a point. But what I think most people are talking about when they talk about destinations, is atmosphere.

Can you get Bavarian beers imported, or taste Bavarian style beers in breweries in the US and other parts of the world? Yes. But, can you go to THE Oktoberfest, and take in the atmosphere of a Bavarian style biergarten in any city in the world? Certainly not.

Likewise goes for the atmosphere of a coffee shop(s) in a Trieste or Jardin, or street food in say Bangkok or Singapore (though admittedly, from what I understand, the selection of Asian style dishes there is truly distinctive, more so even than the most authentic places in an NYC, so perhaps that's a little different, plus, price point.)
I don't place the cafe culture of Trieste (which I wasn't specifically aware of) or world cities, in the same league as Oktoberfest, or perhaps even Asian street food.

I think a cafe atmosphere is easily achieved. I can understand that the Euro thing might be a bucket list thing for some people, but I'm not sure that they it would necessarily be the pinnacle of cafe experiences, beyond the initial "wow!, I'm here" experience.

Old Today, 01:32 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,615,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Melbourne is definitely food heaven, but I got the impression I thought the coffee was great mainly because of the general atmosphere.
Personally I think Melbourne is overrated generally from a food perspective, it's the setting that makes it taste good. Though the one thing I miss most when im in Seoul is a good flat white

Last edited by danielsa1775; Today at 01:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World