U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Buenos Aires 17 65.38%
Rio de Janeiro 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,557,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Rio to visit and Buenos Aires to live, for me. B.A. was more "Manhattanesque"
What do you mean with... "Manhattanesque"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM

9,395 posts, read 10,458,958 times
I've been to Rio but never to Buenos Aires so am not sure about the latter. Even as a tourist, I didn't feel comfortable wandering around Rio by myself but had a local show me around at all times. I imagine in Buenos Aires I could probably have more freedom to wander around safely so I will take that at least for living.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:21 PM

11,129 posts, read 5,326,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I've been to Rio but never to Buenos Aires so am not sure about the latter. Even as a tourist, I didn't feel comfortable wandering around Rio by myself but had a local show me around at all times. I imagine in Buenos Aires I could probably have more freedom to wander around safely so I will take that at least for living.
Sucks to hear that about Rio. Personally when I visit a new city I like to spend hours just walking around and taking in the atmosphere, so I'm not sure if I will like Rio that much. In BA it's safe to walk around the day almost anywhere you want, during night however the beautiful neighborhoods of Retiro and San Telmo become sketchy and uncomfortable

Old 09-04-2017, 02:20 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,557,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
To be fair, i was sure that a paulista would not choose Rio anyway

To me is a tie. Clearly the two best big cities-capitals of SA imo (only Santiago is somewhat close), each of whom have their pros and cons when comparing each other. However, is true that BA is somewhat more wealthy/developed than Río.
I don't have anything against Rio, but I really like Buenos Aires.
Rio is great for taking a trip, for visiting friends, but I would not live there by choice. Moreover, the state of Rio is now under a bad situation. It's highly indebted and going under a severe crisis in public safety.
Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is more or less an improved version of São Paulo with an european flavour.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:25 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,060,769 times
I'm a big fan of Rio's unique scenery, however, as a city Buenos Aires is perhaps the prettiest urban metropolis on the continent, so I choose BsAs despite its various problems, it still conserves a lot of its grandeur from a time past and has great culture & nightlife also. However, I could happily live in both I think.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:33 AM

557 posts, read 261,707 times
Nowadays Buenos Aires of course, Rio is not in good moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't have anything against Rio, but I really like Buenos Aires.
Rio is great for taking a trip, for visiting friends, but I would not live there by choice. Moreover, the state of Rio is now under a bad situation. It's highly indebted and going under a severe crisis in public safety.
Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is more or less an improved version of São Paulo with an european flavour.
I don’t think SP and Bs As have much more in common than people of same heritage of mostly inhabitants in both cities (Italian and Spanish).
Sao Paulo is more similar in architecture style, mindset, lifestyle and strong business economy with US cities. Bs As wanted really emulate Paris, and the mindset and lifestyle is more European.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,184,595 times
first of all i really enjoyed my trip to argentina in 2004 , really liked the people and didnt see much crime and i walked around the districts near where boca juniors play , much of my time was spent on a ranch in BA province where i herded vaccas ( cows ) with a horse and helped milk them

while BA is nice and has some neighbourhoods which would remind you of milan , i didnt get a huge buzz off the city , granted in 2004 things were pretty negative over there but i spoke to some americans on the way home at the airport and they all said brazil was a much livelier place than argentina , argentinians are actually fairly reserved

Old 09-05-2017, 07:34 AM

18,487 posts, read 20,581,389 times
I guess the timing of this is especially bad for Rio--sentiments might be a bit reversed were this topic to be revisited a few years later or were to have come several years earlier.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,072,216 times
Buenos Aires. Rio seems like it'd nice for just a few days or weeks.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:13 AM

13,630 posts, read 7,185,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Cordoba? Vina del Mar? Arequipa?
I agree BA over Rio. BA & Santiago are the nicest cities in SA for me. I can vouch that Arequipa is excellent as I lived there 16 months without any issues...but they don't have very good public transportation and you have to be careful with taxis. Vina del Mar is also excellent and they have a kind of train system as well and I understand it to be safer than Arequipa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or