U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 PM

5,949 posts, read 6,422,696 times

Advertisements

View the stunning metamorphosis of Austin, United States and Brisbane, Australia in visuals (before and after)

Both Austin and Brisbane have gone through rapid metamorphosis in recent decades and years. Austin has been the fastest growing metropolitan area in the United States for the duration of the entire 21st century (by percentage growth) and seems poised to remain as such for a good while longer.

This is Austin in 1995 and in 2017, as well as 2007 and now in 2017:
http://i.imgur.com/XvqXYXj.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1emcy8j1.jpg

Brisbane has rapidly emerged as a global city and is making strides to become of the world's true world class destinations. It has also gone though a significant metamorphosis as well. The city, like Austin, has changed in just a little more than a decades worth of time. Brisbane is currently in the process of finalizing details that will lead to a big for the Summer 2032 Olympics.

This is Brisbane in 2003 and now in 2017 from earlier this year (allow the GIF to shift):
http://imgur.com/ZhYgiR1.gif

Both Austin and Brisbane will continue to keep transforming and rapidly at that. Austin has had 4 different buildings serve as the city's tallest since the year 2000 and will again have another 2 (at least) doing so as well. Its new tallest is now under-construction but its time reigning as the city's tallest will be constricted to only 1-2 years as a new proposal that is quickly moving forwards looks to displace it. Brisbane also is going vertical at a rapid rate. There are entire swaths in the center of the city that are being redeveloped and repurposed into high density mixed use lifestyle centers. Needless to say, both cities are white hot with construction activity but their profile as cities have also managed to climb in recent years as well.

Share some thoughts on what you see here and what you expect going forward. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:11 PM

506 posts, read 113,236 times
That is pretty impressive. It seems that secondary cities are experiencing the most growth nowadays, although New York being an alpha city has plenty of projects that are underway.
I can confirm that Melbourne is also going vertical at a rapid rate with the city's first super tall under construction.

MELBOURNE | Australia 108 | 317m | 1039ft | 100 fl | U/C - Page 26 - SkyscraperCity

Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 PM

5,949 posts, read 6,422,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That is pretty impressive. It seems that secondary cities are experiencing the most growth nowadays, although New York being an alpha city has plenty of projects that are underway.
I can confirm that Melbourne is also going vertical at a rapid rate with the city's first super tall under construction.

MELBOURNE | Australia 108 | 317m | 1039ft | 100 fl | U/C - Page 26 - SkyscraperCity
Yes, indeed. I've been monitoring Australia 108 for a while now. It will be a significant addition to Melbourne's skyline. A fitting first supertall for the city, congratulations.

I agree with your earlier point as well about smaller and more secondary cities finally breaking out and going through construction booms themselves. It is nice for every country because it builds on their roster of cities even more so.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 PM

3,126 posts, read 4,643,424 times
It will be interesting to see what happens in Brisbane once the current line of projects under contruction get complete. and it certainly is some big ones (300 George street, queens warf, Skytower, cross river rail) together with the smaller scale ones.

Personally I find it hard to believe it will keep up int he future. I just cant see the demand keeping up.

While I am all in favor of the inner city development, brisbane charm is mostly its national parks, and hilly tree lined streets, you need to draw a line between the two.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,061,830 times
Great pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World