U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM
 
Location: SE UK
6,016 posts, read 4,843,586 times
Reputation: 3937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I'll start with Australia.

The misconception: that it's always hot here. It's not. It can be cool and cloudy, like England. It can be tropical, like Florida. It is more than just sun and sweat.
England


The misconception: that it's always cool and cloudy here. Its not. It can be hot , like Australia, its more than just cool and cloud! lol


(see what I did there)


P.S. Notice however I did have to leave out the 'tropical' bit! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM
 
1,788 posts, read 986,688 times
Reputation: 1063
For bulgaria I'd say that we're "pro eu", "pro nato" and "pro western" in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
8,776 posts, read 6,069,331 times
Reputation: 4703
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Excuse my narrow mindedness, can you please explain how it really is?
And how could we know this isn't the case if the internet confirms it?


Canada is a bilingual country with "co-official" languages. English and French enjoy equal status as the official languages of all federal government institutions in Canada. This means that the public has the right to communicate with and receive services from, federal government institutions in either English or French. Federal government employees have the right to work in the official language of their choice in designated bilingual regions.
The internet confirms it? LOL

Being officially bilingual doesn't mean everyone speaks both languages. Out of 36 million, about 8 million speak French. Mainly in Quebec, and parts of New Brunswick.

I for one come from a Quebecois family that moved out of Quebec in 1909, fathers' side, and 1950, mother's side. They moved to British Columbia where French, especially back then, was rare. I grew up not speaking French and to this day only have " menu French " since Cantonese or Mandarin would be more useful in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:00 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
13,419 posts, read 15,910,536 times
Reputation: 9193
The biggest misconception about America is that what you see in Hollywood movies has any relation to the lives of most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
8,776 posts, read 6,069,331 times
Reputation: 4703
Canada

People underestimate the size of the country. Some understand it's huge, but still think you can drive from Montreal to Vancouver in a day.

We're backwards, until they visit.

The Queen has power over us.

That we are just like the US. This is a big one. To the casual observer at first, it seems visually close. It's when they start to get to know us that they realize there are some very big social differences, and politically the way work is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
18,015 posts, read 22,342,309 times
Reputation: 7099
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Excuse my narrow mindedness, can you please explain how it really is?
And how could we know this isn't the case if the internet confirms it?


Canada is a bilingual country with "co-official" languages. English and French enjoy equal status as the official languages of all federal government institutions in Canada. This means that the public has the right to communicate with and receive services from, federal government institutions in either English or French. Federal government employees have the right to work in the official language of their choice in designated bilingual regions.
Where on the Internet does it confirm that everyone in Canada speaks English and French?


The information you posted is about government services and institutions, not about the language skills of the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Greater LA area
13,200 posts, read 9,114,730 times
Reputation: 24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where on the Internet does it confirm that everyone in Canada speaks English and French?


The information you posted is about government services and institutions, not about the language skills of the general population.
I AM SORRY if I stepped on anyones feet here. I have never been in Canada, so all I know is google, internet overall and barely any movies. And sorry for assuming that if the government is in a specific language (which should accommodate most citizens) this is the common language. That's why we have the thread here, to clean up all the misconception, right? SORRY FOR ASKING.


German is the official language in Germany. It is overloaded with refugees and Turks but I would never say that it is wrong to expect German being the language expected to be spoken there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
8,776 posts, read 6,069,331 times
Reputation: 4703
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I AM SORRY if I stepped on anyones feet here. I have never been in Canada, so all I know is google, internet overall and barely any movies. And sorry for assuming that if the government is in a specific language (which should accommodate most citizens) this is the common language. That's why we have the thread here, to clean up all the misconception, right? SORRY FOR ASKING.


German is the official language in Germany. It is overloaded with refugees and Turks but I would never say that it is wrong to expect German being the language expected to be spoken there.
I would expect someone who wants to live in Germany to speak German. That's not unreasonable.

Canada is different. We expect people to speak either English or French. It's just that if one is going to speak French ONLY, you better choose the part of the country where that is practical.

Being such a large country, someone living here in Vancouver, would have to fly 3,700 K's to Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
13,419 posts, read 15,910,536 times
Reputation: 9193
Hardly anybody speaks French in the predominantly English-speaking parts of Canada.

Linguistically, they are very similar to the northern U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Greater LA area
13,200 posts, read 9,114,730 times
Reputation: 24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada:


- It's freezing cold all year round.


- Everyone is bilingual in English and French.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I would expect someone who wants to live in Germany to speak German. That's not unreasonable.

Canada is different. We expect people to speak either English or French. It's just that if one is going to speak French ONLY, you better choose the part of the country where that is practical.

Being such a large country, someone living here in Vancouver, would have to fly 3,700 K's to Montreal.
makes sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top