Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:57 PM

732 posts, read 780,817 times

Advertisements

I dont think you are all getting the point of it. Having to sing R & B or pop doesn't mean it is westernized although it was said to have all started with the genres in America. Pop music doesn't mean it is Americanized or Westernized. Same thing goes with R & B, rap and other genres that popped up in the modern times. They merely propagated it but somehow it was supposed to be a human thing out of evolution that it happened. Whether America or any country else, pop and other genres would still pick up in the modern times as it is part of human evolution. What I mean is that to sing pop or other modern music genres doesn't necessarily mean it is weternized or Americanized. If I have to put it, I would prefer it to be called modernized.

You might be probably talking about country music or anything that was sung with old genres that is akin to each countries. I believe all countries in the world has their own share of these type of music inculding the Phils. The only thing is that most countries rarely does them anymore except probably for dedicated musicians who are passionate about it. Mainstream music nowadays are into pop, R & B, rap, etc.

Now if you consider and equate anything pop, R & B and other genres as all Americanized or westernized then we can come to a conclusion that the OP is correct that we can only count countries that wont sound as such because humans tend to do what is popular and follows the trend unless your country is still stuck in the yesteryears.

My argument is that I dont think it is proper to say that you are Americanized just because you sing pop or any modern genres. You can still sound native even with that type of singing. You can basically relate with the music as it is the international language and to some extent the rhythm but certainly not the language. You dont think anything sung in pop is American right just because it is pop? Or do they own pop or has exclusive use of it that anyone that sings it automatically falls to being Americanized? Should we say Americanized or modernized instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I'm only hoping music around the world doesn't follow the current mass-produced horrid sounding american pop...
I take it you have never listened to the radio abroad. The vast majority of countries around the world have been making pastiches of American pop music since I was a kid (and I'm getting old).

Some of it is "good", but the majority would make you beg for a Taylor Swift song to play while being waterboarded.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:44 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
I kind of get what the above poster (naMarL) is saying. It seems that a lot of people (and not to be mean, but - mostly Americans) don't realise that much of rest of the world was making music before the US even existed, or at least before the US was considered important culturally speaking. Not only that, but much of that US culture was imported in the first place: the first "American" songs were often hymns or folk songs brought from the UK, Ireland or other parts of Europe, some of which were later adopted by slaves to create the blues and gospel. The US has given the world some amazing music (and a whole bunch of crap too, it must be said) but not exclusively. Also we're often told how much American music was copied in the sixties by, for example, The Beatles. But, while this is true in part, The Beatles (and later their Brit rivals, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, et al), also fed on a distinct pre-sixties British sensibility (folk, music hall etc) which helped distinguish them from their US counterparts. A certain British eccentricity, lack of conservatism, irreverence and a more experimental, harder edge is what caused the so-called British invasion to even happen in the US which had, at that point reached a level of musical stagnation. Also, some of these bands took influences from other cultures (notable The Beatles and The Yardbirds with their use of the Sitar) and paved the way for Psychedelia and Progressive Rock. So, ultimately, I think America, even with a huge of amount of amazing music that has emerged from there, needs to acknowledge that it has a huge debt to pay for the rest of the world too

Old 10-07-2017, 07:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I dont think you are all getting the point of it. Having to sing R & B or pop doesn't mean it is westernized although it was said to have all started with the genres in America. Pop music doesn't mean it is Americanized or Westernized. Same thing goes with R & B, rap and other genres that popped up in the modern times. They merely propagated it but somehow it was supposed to be a human thing out of evolution that it happened. Whether America or any country else, pop and other genres would still pick up in the modern times as it is part of human evolution. What I mean is that to sing pop or other modern music genres doesn't necessarily mean it is weternized or Americanized. If I have to put it, I would prefer it to be called modernized.

You might be probably talking about country music or anything that was sung with old genres that is akin to each countries. I believe all countries in the world has their own share of these type of music inculding the Phils. The only thing is that most countries rarely does them anymore except probably for dedicated musicians who are passionate about it. Mainstream music nowadays are into pop, R & B, rap, etc.

Now if you consider and equate anything pop, R & B and other genres as all Americanized or westernized then we can come to a conclusion that the OP is correct that we can only count countries that wont sound as such because humans tend to do what is popular and follows the trend unless your country is still stuck in the yesteryears.

My argument is that I dont think it is proper to say that you are Americanized just because you sing pop or any modern genres. You can still sound native even with that type of singing. You can basically relate with the music as it is the international language and to some extent the rhythm but certainly not the language. You dont think anything sung in pop is American right just because it is pop? Or do they own pop or has exclusive use of it that anyone that sings it automatically falls to being Americanized? Should we say Americanized or modernized instead?
This makes no logical sense at all.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I take it you have never listened to the radio abroad. The vast majority of countries around the world have been making pastiches of American pop music since I was a kid (and I'm getting old).

Some of it is "good", but the majority would make you beg for a Taylor Swift song to play while being waterboarded.
No I haven't gotten the chance to travel abroad yet but I have heard some music from other countries and if it's going to copy us then that's not good; I'll stick to listening to underground then.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This makes no logical sense at all.
And what is your logical sense? That everything rock, pop, rap, R n B and anything modern music are all American and sounds American? Sheeshh, you dont make sense too!

Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
At this point every country in the world has a rap scene. Ever heard russian or Japanese rap ? is it americanized music ? Isn't it rather NY-based music transformed into something that is relevant on a local level and has little to do with the original core ? I know the French rap scene and most of the artists today are inspired by French rappers from 10 years ago, which were influenced by French rappers from the 1990s. Sure they also listen to American artists but hip hop as a genre is hardly exclusive to US culture anymore.

Also, look at reggae. It is derived from ska which was the jamaican version of r'n'b. And now you've got techno artists influenced by reggae. Music does not know borders.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
At this point every country in the world has a rap scene. Ever heard russian or Japanese rap ? is it americanized music ? Isn't it rather NY-based music transformed into something that is relevant on a local level and has little to do with the original core ? I know the French rap scene and most of the artists today are inspired by French rappers from 10 years ago, which were influenced by French rappers from the 1990s. Sure they also listen to American artists but hip hop as a genre is hardly exclusive to US culture anymore.

Also, look at reggae. It is derived from ska which was the jamaican version of r'n'b. And now you've got techno artists influenced by reggae. Music does not know borders.
Exactly, just because the style was popularized in your country doesn't give you the exclusive right to own it. Just like cooking, just because frying or baking or putting coconut milk on menus were popularized or started in your place doesn't mean that you own all the recipes and the foods that are fried, baked or where coco milk is added.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
And what is your logical sense? That everything rock, pop, rap, R n B and anything modern music are all American and sounds American? Sheeshh, you dont make sense too!
You obviously have little to no musical knowledge of any kind.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Pentatonic scale is still "in tune" with European scale.
For example, if C is the keynote, a pentatonic scale song will (mainly) use CDEGA.
That's right, but most western music commonly uses the 7-note heptatonic scale.

Eastern Asian music is somehow restricted to the pentatonic scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World