Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:06 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,348,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I see the UK (as usual) is getting 'bashed' here (surprisingly along with France this time), I think somebody has already posted several other beautiful, influential French cities apart from Paris and as for the UK what about Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, York etc etc are we to believe that the home of the industrial revolution (Manchester) has no value? Are we to believe that the 'dreamy spires' of Oxford have no value (millions of international tourists every year beg to differ). York has been in existence since the Vikings called it home is it 'nothing'? And as somebody has already pointed out there is of course the jewel in the crown, Bradford.
What is with this constant need for approval? So people are not mentioning British cities here, and your interpretation of that is “bashing”?

I guess some people are just such patriots that they couldn’t help but take offence at foreigners on internet not putting their fatherland on a pedestal. It’s quite amusing to watch, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 AM

14,810 posts, read 11,893,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What is with this constant need for approval? So people are not mentioning British cities here, and your interpretation of that is “bashing”?

I guess some people are just such patriots that they couldn’t help but take offence at foreigners on internet not putting their fatherland on a pedestal. It’s quite amusing to watch, really.
See post 25 or post 36, I am simply pointing out that there are plenty of other cities in the UK that have plenty to offer other than just London, and what is wrong with that exactly? Have I said that the cities here need to be put on some kind of 'pedestal'? If so kindly show me where. Or perhaps you believe I am not allowed to join the discussion or mention a few cities I feel may be worth visiting? Incidently you notice I was also talking about France and French cities or did that fact completely pass you by?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:55 AM

1,892 posts, read 1,664,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I have a book called 'The Cities Book' that ranks the 200 Greatest Cities of the World. I actually made the Top 100 my official bucket list (#101-200 is rubbish, imo)

If we go by that, we get the following for the Allied 11:

Australia
Hobart #91
Melbourne #11
Perth #47
Sydney #3

Canada
Montreal #20
Quebec City #95
Toronto #31
Vancouver #15

France
Carcassonne #130
Marseilles #124
Paris #1

Germany
Berlin #18
Hamburg #78
Heidelberg #99
Lubeck #131
Munich #37

Italy
Florence #27
Naples #97
Rome #6
Siena #81
Venice #22

Japan
Hiroshima #133
Kyoto #45
Tokyo #26

Korea
Seoul #85

Spain
Barcelona #4
Granada #197
Madrid #36
San Sebastian #111
Seville #44

Turkey
Istanbul #10

UK
Bath #119
Belfast #163
Cardiff #171
Edinburgh #21
Glasgow #106
London #5
Manchester #126
York #76

USA
Anchorage #175
Austin #169
Chicago #34
Las Vegas #46
Los Angeles #49
Memphis #98
Miami #194
New Orleans #39
New York #2
San Francisco #7
San Juan #113
Savannah #164
Seattle #55
Washington #103
Marseille? Wouw....

Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 AM

26,762 posts, read 37,688,818 times
Quote:
See post 25 or post 36, I am simply pointing out that there are plenty of other cities in the UK that have plenty to offer other than just London, and what is wrong with that exactly? Have I said that the cities here need to be put on some kind of 'pedestal'? If so kindly show me where. Or perhaps you believe I am not allowed to join the discussion or mention a few cities I feel may be worth visiting? Incidently you notice I was also talking about France and French cities or did that fact completely pass you by?
If my post 36 is UK-bashing I don't know what to say...

Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,348,768 times
Quote:
I never said that you’re not allowed to join the discussion.

There’s no need to play dumb. Most of your posts involve you getting upset over someone criticising London, or just England in general. I think you are perfectly aware of it. When other posters bring up London or England unfavourably you always feel the need to get defensive or accuse them of trolling, then resort to your grade school Bradford innuendo. It’s frankly pretty annoying.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,268,703 times
Quote:
I see the UK (as usual) is getting 'bashed' here (surprisingly along with France this time), I think somebody has already posted several other beautiful, influential French cities apart from Paris and as for the UK what about Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, York etc etc are we to believe that the home of the industrial revolution (Manchester) has no value? Are we to believe that the 'dreamy spires' of Oxford have no value (millions of international tourists every year beg to differ). York has been in existence since the Vikings called it home is it 'nothing'? And as somebody has already pointed out there is of course the jewel in the crown, Bradford.
Oh ffs nobody is bashing England here. News flash, NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT ENGLAND. Just because people are not mentioning it doesn't make it "bashing", there is something called personal preference. You seem to get personally offended when everything is not about England

Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 AM

26,916 posts, read 13,130,691 times
Quote:
Fair point.

The UK has very diverse cities, indeed the really historic cities are often overshadowed by the Industrial and Commercial powerhouses, when in reality the UK has some beautiful historic and often relatively unkown cities. There are currently a total of 69 such cities in the United Kingdom: 51 in England, seven in Scotland, six in Wales, and five in Northern Ireland

List of cities in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

Here's a 2016 survey of peoples top 20 UK cities.

Britain's 20 best cities - Travel - The Telegraph

1. Edinburgh

2. London

3. York

4. Bath

5. St Davids

6. Cambridge

7. Wells

8. Durham

9. Chester

10. Oxford

11. Winchester

12. Lincoln

13. Chichester

14. Liverpool

15. Salisbury

16. Cardiff

17. Canterbury

18. Norwich

19. Truro

20. Newcastle Upon Tyne

Other cities worth mentioning are Brighton, Lancaster, Stratford Upon Avon, Chelmsford, Eky, Litchfield, Hereford, Worcestor, Gloucester, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham Manchester, Bradford, Leeds, Hull, Sheffield, Portsmouth, Southampton, Plmouth, Glasgow, Swansea, Bangor, Belfast, Armagh, Lisburn Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling, Inverness etc etc

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-25-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,230,926 times
Honestly I would really like to visit Manchester or Liverpool. I have only been to the south of England.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 AM

26,762 posts, read 37,688,818 times
The whole UK tangent on here is so bizarre.

No one is saying that UK cities suck. Has anyone really said that?

Is it UK-bashing to express a preference?

Anyway, I'd ask everyone to look at the 10 biggest cities in France and compare it to the list of the 10 biggest cities in Britain and tell me which one is objectively better.

People have mentioned that the UK has some better cities as you go further down the list into smaller pes but this is also true of France outside of the top 10: Montpellier, Avignon, Poitiers, La Rochelle, Annecy, etc. are all attractive cities often with interesting histories and local culture. There are tons of them in that country too.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:31 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,210,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
A term like "best collection" is always going to trigger opinions so here's mine:

USA: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Boston, New Orleans, Washington DC.
Germany: Berlin, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich
Italy: Rome, Florence, Milan, Naples, Venice

There are others but I just pulled these out of thin air.
Just curious as to why Philadelphia wouldn't be an obvious choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World