U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do these 4 countries deserve to be perm members of the UNSC?
Brazil - yes 10 20.41%
Germany - yes 36 73.47%
India - yes 14 28.57%
Japan - yes 33 67.35%
Brazil - no 22 44.90%
Germany - no 9 18.37%
India - no 21 42.86%
Japan - no 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,586 posts, read 2,854,295 times
Reputation: 13915

Advertisements

I think that membership in the UNSC should be limited to no more than 10 of the world's strongest countries, with strength being measured either militarily or economically. There should also be a mechanism wherein some high percentage (maybe 67 or 75%) of the members can override a veto.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
7,541 posts, read 7,510,041 times
Reputation: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think that membership in the UNSC should be limited to no more than 10 of the world's strongest countries, with strength being measured either militarily or economically. There should also be a mechanism wherein some high percentage (maybe 67 or 75%) of the members can override a veto.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2017, 03:14 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,447 posts, read 1,560,934 times
Reputation: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
French Guiana is the Europe's only independent access to space. I think that wanting to invade it would be a very bad idea.
The last thing Brazil wants is invading other countries, and much less engaging in a war with France in change of nothing - even because France is one of our historic allies. Relations with Guyana and Suriname are good. Venezuela and Bolivia are enough for giving us headaches.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 11:12 AM
 
2,097 posts, read 975,327 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think that membership in the UNSC should be limited to no more than 10 of the world's strongest countries, with strength being measured either militarily or economically. There should also be a mechanism wherein some high percentage (maybe 67 or 75%) of the members can override a veto.
China, India, Indonesia, Japan

France, Germany, Russia, United Kingdom

Brazil, United States
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 09:08 PM
 
5,953 posts, read 5,792,577 times
Reputation: 2111
It should be the US, Russia, China and the EU (collectively). Nobody else.
These four have huge global influences today.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 06:48 AM
 
2,097 posts, read 975,327 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It should be the US, Russia, China and the EU (collectively). Nobody else.
These four have huge global influences today.
India and Japan also deserve such status!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 07:33 AM
 
730 posts, read 314,928 times
Reputation: 474
Only India is hopeful to join the club among those and among the rest of nations. That was Nikki Haley (who herself is Indian) advocating. But, because of China's permanent membership veto power, India will never join for the next thousand years.

China used to want India to become the next permanent member. However, India lately refuses to allow China building roads, electric grids and other infrastructures and risking war conflicts between the two neighboring countries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
6,587 posts, read 9,061,110 times
Reputation: 5660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Brazil, Germany, India, Japan have long been advocating to be permanent members of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) alongside the five existing permanent members being China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States, but so far their efforts have so far been to no avail.
I voted YES for India and Japan. I did not vote for Brazil and Germany one way or the other because I am not sure.

India - YES - one of the world's largest nations, a rapidly growing economy and a growing military and diplomatic network.

Japan - YES - an established Great Power, Japan WOULD already be on the Security Council if she did not join the Axis Alliance in WW2. But it has been over 70 years since the war.

Brazil - NOT SURE - I am not against Brazil being on the Security Council, I am just not sure neutral Brazil wants it.

Germany - NOT SURE - I am also not against Germany joining but although Germany has a large economy, her population is less 100 million and there are already 2 other western European powers on the Security Council, Britain and France.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 PM
 
Location: SE Estonia
2,287 posts, read 1,168,556 times
Reputation: 763
Japan and India, imo. The latter is really a big country. There were claims already some time ago that India had overtaken China as the world's most populous nation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM
 
5,953 posts, read 5,792,577 times
Reputation: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I voted YES for India and Japan. I did not vote for Brazil and Germany one way or the other because I am not sure.

India - YES - one of the world's largest nations, a rapidly growing economy and a growing military and diplomatic network.

Japan - YES - an established Great Power, Japan WOULD already be on the Security Council if she did not join the Axis Alliance in WW2. But it has been over 70 years since the war.

Brazil - NOT SURE - I am not against Brazil being on the Security Council, I am just not sure neutral Brazil wants it.

Germany - NOT SURE - I am also not against Germany joining but although Germany has a large economy, her population is less 100 million and there are already 2 other western European powers on the Security Council, Britain and France.
China will not allow Japan to join in foreseeable future. Japan does not even have a real military and US troops are stationed there. Why would China allow it?
I know westerners love Japan, but China and Korea hate Japan with a heart.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top