U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do these 4 countries deserve to be perm members of the UNSC?
Brazil - yes 10 20.41%
Germany - yes 36 73.47%
India - yes 14 28.57%
Japan - yes 33 67.35%
Brazil - no 22 44.90%
Germany - no 9 18.37%
India - no 21 42.86%
Japan - no 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,547 posts, read 4,687,996 times
Reputation: 4298

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chinese textbooks do cover the Holocaust and all Chinese (who finished middle school) know about it.
Many westerners never heard of Nanjing on the other hand.
Well those history lessons certainly aren’t enough to keep people from having a nazi-theme wedding or doing Nazi salutes in front of the Bundestag.

It’s pretty amusing to see Chinese people trying to convince others that they are more enlightened and less ignorant about historical atrocities.

Last edited by Greysholic; 10-16-2017 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2017, 05:08 AM
 
6,267 posts, read 6,107,043 times
Reputation: 2228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well those history lessons certainly aren’t enough to keep people from having a nazi-theme wedding or doing Nazi salutes in front of the Bundestag.

It’s pretty amusing to see Chinese people trying to convince others that they are more enlightened and less ignorant about historical atrocities.
"Some" Chinese people do not like Jews and secretly admire Hitler. Such people also exist in America, Europe, Japan...And Taiwan.
Your statement makes no sense at all. However I know you 逢中必反, no surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 02:35 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,584,684 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Together we are the 11th largest economy in the world, and have a stellar economic and human rights record. I can honestly not think of a better candidate. And we already got a permanent seat on the Economic and Human Rights councils, so the security council would fit in great.
TOGETHER? Then merge into one country first before being "together".
Size matters. A country with 5m people, no matter how great its record is, does not matter. That's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 02:39 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,584,684 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Germany and Japan.

Lol France and the UK need to leave as they are completely useless.
What's the USE of Japan since it simply does whatever the US tells it to do?

I agree that UK is useless too since it is exactly like Japan. But France is by no means useless. Its refusal to get involved in the Iraqi war shows its independent foreign policy. I have no objection to Germany. It should replace the UK, which has been spineless for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,584,684 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
"Some" Chinese people do not like Jews and secretly admire Hitler. Such people also exist in America, Europe, Japan...And Taiwan.
Your statement makes no sense at all. However I know you 逢中必反, no surprise.
why do you even bother wasting your saliva with him...he prefers to have Japanese as the official language of Taiwan. Stockholm complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,531,453 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
TOGETHER? Then merge into one country first before being "together".
Size matters. A country with 5m people, no matter how great its record is, does not matter. That's the truth.
Yes, together. We are practically an internal market.

Why wouldn't five million Finns matter, but five million Saudis or Mexicans would? And how does it differ from saying that Black or Asian people wouldn't matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 AM
 
771 posts, read 449,624 times
Reputation: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chinese textbooks do cover the Holocaust and all Chinese (who finished middle school) know about it.
Many westerners never heard of Nanjing on the other hand.
Most Chinese people can't tell you how many people died in the Holocaust.
The idea that Rape of Nanking is in any way comparable to the Holocaust is ludicrous. Babi Yar might be a better Apple to Apple comparison and I bet only a handful of people in China heard of it.
The Japanese committed plenty of atrocities in the Far East during WWII, no question about it, but they never attempted to industrialize ethnic cleansing the way their Nazi ally did. Most Chinese people might know of the Holocaust but I'm not sure they grasp the different mentality between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,584,684 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, together. We are practically an internal market.

Why wouldn't five million Finns matter, but five million Saudis or Mexicans would? And how does it differ from saying that Black or Asian people wouldn't matter?
who said five million Saudis or Mexicans would matter? By the way, Saudi Arabia has 32 million and Mexico has 128 million people.

An internal market is ok, but your PM can't decide what to do for the swedes or Norwegians.

It is not that 5m finns don't matter, it is that Finland as country with only 5M people won't matter. Do you know why the world cares more about China or India, despite the fact they are much much poorer and less developed than Finland or Norway? Because they are big. It is not that I am talking as an Asian. Do you think the French or German or Italian politicians really think Finland matters?

Finland, Sweden and Norway etc should just enjoy their high standard of living, and not expect to be important on international affairs. There are quite some cities that have more people than the three countries combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,584,684 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Most Chinese people can't tell you how many people died in the Holocaust.
The idea that Rape of Nanking is in any way comparable to the Holocaust is ludicrous. Babi Yar might be a better Apple to Apple comparison and I bet only a handful of people in China heard of it.
The Japanese committed plenty of atrocities in the Far East during WWII, no question about it, but they never attempted to industrialize ethnic cleansing the way their Nazi ally did. Most Chinese people might know of the Holocaust but I'm not sure they grasp the different mentality between the two.
of course they are comparable. The Japanese atrocity is probably even worse if you know all the details. One life is one life, it doesn't matter whether it is "ethnic cleansing" or whatever. Asians simply didn't care about "ethnicity" as much as Europeans.

Mentality? maybe for a European it is super important. For the Asians it is not.

And as I emphasized many times, the difference between Japan and Germany is not the severity of the crimes, but Japan is still avoiding its responsibilities by hiding facts, even worshiping war criminals. Do you think that makes a difference or not?

Anyone it doesn't matter. China will veto the hell out of it. Japan has zero chance of getting into the club, and that's a fact, no matter how warm and fuzzy you westerners feel about it (usually out of utter ignorance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM
 
771 posts, read 449,624 times
Reputation: 719
They shouldn't add permanent members without reforming the body at the same time, like taking away the veto for the permanent members or consolidating France and Britain's vote.
If India is admitted then Pakistan should come in too. The Islamic world then gets its representative.
There should be an African member in there but I can't think of a good candidate now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top