Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do these 4 countries deserve to be perm members of the UNSC?
Brazil - yes 10 20.41%
Germany - yes 36 73.47%
India - yes 14 28.57%
Japan - yes 33 67.35%
Brazil - no 22 44.90%
Germany - no 9 18.37%
India - no 21 42.86%
Japan - no 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

It just blows my mind that so many people think Japan is so qualified.

Japan so far still denies a lot of the atrocities it committed in China, Korea and much of the rest of Asia. Its PM still frequently pay homage to its WWII crimes.

If it were in Europe, it would be like Germany claims the holocaust never happened, hiding it from the children, and telling the public the war was because Germany wanted to make Europe a "better place". It is like Angela Merkel visiting wherever Hilter is buried every year. Does everyone even know the Japanese probably killed more Asians than Germany killed Europeans/Jews? I am sure your west centric textbooks don't give it a lot of coverage.

But since it happened in Asia, and the victims were Asians, not white Europeans, I guess it doesn't matter. Japan is so adorable and close to the west now, why not make it one? We all love Japan, don't we? better than China, isn't it?

I myself don't hate Japan, but just don't think a country who doesn't even fully admit its crimes should be one of the UNSC's permanent members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am sure your west centric textbooks don't give it a lot of coverage.
Not that your Sino-centric or Asian-centric textbooks do either of the nazi atrocities. Otherwise we wouldn't seen scenes like these:

I would like to know what you would think if I did a Unit 731 or Nanking Massacre cosplay? Not overly enthusiastic I guess?

Old 10-09-2017, 10:31 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Brazil - NOT SURE - I am not against Brazil being on the Security Council, I am just not sure neutral Brazil wants it.
Not sure? Brazil has been rallying for a permanent seat for ages

Here is the G4 summit

Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China will not allow Japan to join in foreseeable future. Japan does not even have a real military and US troops are stationed there. Why would China allow it?
I know westerners love Japan, but China and Korea hate Japan with a heart.
It should not matter if China "hates" Japan. I understand China has differences with Japan and also India for that matter, but the real question is, are Japan and India wealthy, able and powerful enough to contribute to world security?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Not that your Sino-centric or Asian-centric textbooks do either of the nazi atrocities. Otherwise we wouldn't seen scenes like these:

I would like to know what you would think if I did a Unit 731 or Nanking Massacre cosplay? Not overly enthusiastic I guess?
if you look closely enough, they are Koreans, not Chinese. Under the photo it explicitly says "[Above: In Korea people love to pretend, or 'cosplay', to be 'Nazis'. Here a couple gets married with the groom in SS uniform.]

souces: http://www.mourningtheancient.com/tt108.htm

Could you do a little bit more due diligence? All of these cosplay are either Koreans or Japanese if you have read the text. Or you know but thought I wouldn't find out.

Last edited by botticelli; 10-09-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It should not matter if China "hates" Japan. I understand China has differences with Japan and also India for that matter, but the real question is, are Japan and India wealthy, able and powerful enough to contribute to world security?
If the UNSC were about "world security", why would war mongering, trouble making USA even be in it??

Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
if you look closely enough, they are Koreans, not Chinese. Under the photo it explicitly says "[Above: In Korea people love to pretend, or 'cosplay', to be 'Nazis'. Here a couple gets married with the groom in SS uniform.]

souces: Trash and Treasure Page One Hundred and Eight

Could you do a little bit more due diligence? All of these cosplay are either Koreans or Japanese if you have read the text. Or you know but thought I wouldn't find out.
I can't see a difference between a Korean or Chinese person. Taiwanese are those school children at least. Nevertheless, if they were more aware of the nazi atrocities we wouldn't see those uniforms. That was my point if you'd read more carefully.

But so what. Just because we have a complex doesn't mean that you should too. OTH, if you have a complex with Japanese atrocities doesn't mean we should feel overly shocked.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I can't see a difference between a Korean or Chinese person. Taiwanese are those school children at least. Nevertheless, if they were more aware of the nazi atrocities we wouldn't see those uniforms. That was my point if you'd read more carefully.

But so what. Just because we have a complex doesn't mean that you should too. OTH, if you have a complex with Japanese atrocities doesn't mean we should feel overly shocked.
No, it makes a huge difference that the Japanese government is still not taking full responsibility and is still trying the hide certain facts by teaching students the wrong or incompletely information. The fact they keep visiting Imperial Shrine of Yasukuni shows they don't even think those people committed huge war crimes. They are considered national heroes.

Do you know what happened to the Japanese emperor after the war ended, the emperor who had the power to start the war in the first place? Nothing. He was still the emperor. It is like Hilter still gets to be the head of the German state after WWII.

I don't hold a grudge against the current Japanese population because it is not their doing. It is not a complex. But the behavior from their government shows they are not qualified to be a UNSC permanent member to say the least.

I don't expect you to be overly shocked, but just want to show you why Asian people were shocked when Japan does that, the same way how the Europeans would feel if the chancellor of Germany keeps visiting Hitler's grave year after year.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
If the UNSC were about "world security", why would war mongering, trouble making USA even be in it??
You mean like the other members of the security council. During the Cold War, China and Russia killed millions of people.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:26 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
It just blows my mind that so many people think Japan is so qualified.

Japan so far still denies a lot of the atrocities it committed in China, Korea and much of the rest of Asia. Its PM still frequently pay homage to its WWII crimes.

If it were in Europe, it would be like Germany claims the holocaust never happened, hiding it from the children, and telling the public the war was because Germany wanted to make Europe a "better place". It is like Angela Merkel visiting wherever Hilter is buried every year. Does everyone even know the Japanese probably killed more Asians than Germany killed Europeans/Jews? I am sure your west centric textbooks don't give it a lot of coverage.
It’s hardly the only country to deny the past. Turkey to this day still ignores the Armenian genocide. But you’re right to a certain extent, Germany was forced to admit those problems as it was under the spotlight following the war. Just like with the First World War, Germany was once again Blaine’s for the conflict.

Quote:
[
But since it happened in Asia, and the victims were Asians, not white Europeans, I guess it doesn't matter. Japan is so adorable and close to the west now, why not make it one? We all love Japan, don't we? better than China, isn't it?
The reverse is equally true. In Asia, Germany isn’t viewed with the same reservation as it is in the Europe which is why the cosplay shots that Ariete posted are not nearly as controversial over there.

Quote:
I myself don't hate Japan, but just don't think a country who doesn't even fully admit its crimes should be one of the UNSC's permanent members.
If that were the case, then none of the current 5 members deserve to have a seat on the UNSC. They all have their fair share of ghosts that they refuse to part with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World