Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Moscow and St. Petersburg are showcase metros. I'm not sure why people are listing NYC's. It's dirty, run-down, and has frequent minor breakdowns, during which passengers inwardly panic, if the lights in the cars go off. Fears about crime seem ever-present. I haven't tried the Asian ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:19 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
You are mixing a ranking with only underground systems with underground + overground (RER, whatever...) frequentation, that's kinda weird
Because Brand New World was complaining that I didn't have all the metros of London and that I should look at post 9. I then combined any of the metro systems serving the same city that were listed on the wiki link I provided. If you have any suggestions to fix the list be my guest.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Okay I'm a bit confused are we only talking about underground metro systems, or are we talking about all metro systems, both underground and above ground, and if that is the case are we also adding all heavy rail such as commuter rail?

Old 09-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Okay I'm a bit confused are we only talking about underground metro systems, or are we talking about all metro systems, both underground and above ground, and if that is the case are we also adding all heavy rail such as commuter rail?
I think we're talking about underground metro systems, aka "subways", in American parlance.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think we're talking about underground metro systems, aka "subways", in American parlance.
so then we are ignoring lines of systems that go above ground? Such as NY which has 59% of it's stations underground

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...k_position.svg

* Blue = above ground

Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
so then we are ignoring lines of systems that go above ground? Such as NY which has 59% of it's stations underground
Um, well, I guess we're just talking about the nearly 60% underground part...

Good point. Part of San Francisco's "municipal railway" is underground, but no one thinks of it as a "metro" or subway system. But most of NYC's is underground, so that's how people think of it.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Quote:
I think it's really relevant to mention the network deeply connected with the subway/underground/metro that goes in the core of the city. OP doesn't want to hear about tramways or long distance trains that 'wait at the train station' and leave at a specific schedule (in Paris (for example) they are named 'Transiliens' and cover really long distance, you find them in big train stations) More RER-like systems that are long distance trains with kilometers of space between each stations...but run non stop like a metro
So technically the improvement of the ranking is relevant.
But for example if we take Paris, you also have to add the RER system (that is a big subway under paris and then a normal train outside, in the suburbs). They are used by 310/320 million people yearly, some of them are absolutely ULTRA important, much more than 75% of the metros (like the famous (for parisians ) RER A, that is a line that -unfortunately - Paris just cannot live without).

Old 09-27-2017, 04:15 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Quite a lot of underground metro systems have overground sections. London or Chicago for example.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
I think it's really relevant to mention the network deeply connected with the subway/underground/metro that goes in the core of the city. OP doesn't want to hear about tramways or long distance trains that 'wait at the train station' and leave at a specific schedule (in Paris (for example) they are named 'Transiliens' and cover really long distance, you find them in big train stations) More RER-like systems that are long distance trains with kilometers of space between each stations...but run non stop like a metro
So technically the improvement of the ranking is relevant.
But for example if we take Paris, you also have to add the RER system (that is a big subway under paris and then a normal train outside, in the suburbs). They are used by 310/320 million people yearly, some of them are absolutely ULTRA important, much more than 75% of the metros (like the famous (for parisians ) RER A, that is a line that -unfortunately - Paris just cannot live without).
I agree. It is all part of an integrated public transportation infrastructure.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:28 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
New York
Paris
London
Seoul

Hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo
Beijing
Madrid
Mexico City
Moscow

Berlin

1. Seoul
2. Moscow
3. Beijing
4. Shanghai
5. London
6. Madrid
7. mexico City

* I only rated the ones I've used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World