U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:40 AM

10,847 posts, read 10,320,243 times

Advertisements

well, the previous post is too Euro-centric so I am doing a real world one since it is a world forum, not a "White world forum".

New York
Paris
London
Seoul
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo
Beijing
Madrid
Mexico City
Moscow
Berlin

Let's judge them based on availability, ease of access, cleanness, efficiency, operating hours etc. Please do not include light rail/tram system that need to stop for traffic lights. On the other hand, the RER style train that fully integrated with the metro system should count, but not commuter trains which only operate during certain rush hours or are very infrequent.

I have taken most of them (except Moscow, Singapore and Mexico City), and would think Tokyo is the best one. For a city of that size, it is not really that crowded even during peak hours, and it is very easy to navigate even if you don't know Japanese.

Paris, London and HK are all very good. Shanghai's system is very new and clean, all equipped with safety gates etc but it is way too crowded even off rush hours. NYC metro is the bottom of the barrel because taking it is like living in hell, the train itself or the filthy stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 AM

1,657 posts, read 679,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, the previous post is too Euro-centric so I am doing a real world one since it is a world forum, not a "White world forum".

New York
Paris
London
Seoul
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo
Beijing
Madrid
Mexico City
Moscow
Berlin

Let's judge them based on availability, ease of access, cleanness, efficiency, operating hours etc. Please do not include light rail/tram system that need to stop for traffic lights. On the other hand, the RER style train that fully integrated with the metro system should count, but not commuter trains which only operate during certain rush hours or are very infrequent.

I have taken most of them (except Moscow, Singapore and Mexico City), and would think Tokyo is the best one. For a city of that size, it is not really that crowded even during peak hours, and it is very easy to navigate even if you don't know Japanese.

Paris, London and HK are all very good. Shanghai's system is very new and clean, all equipped with safety gates etc but it is way too crowded even off rush hours. NYC metro is the bottom of the barrel because taking it is like living in hell, the train itself or the filthy stations.
Wow, not my feeling ! But I never tried Shanghai...
HK is tiny. Tokyo is number one for me, followed by Seoul

Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Wow, not my feeling ! But I never tried Shanghai...
HK is tiny. Tokyo is number one for me, followed by Seoul
Really? Maybe I was lucky or I was instinctively comparing it with Shanghai. I stayed for a week and often go out at 7:30am-ish. While the trains are usually full, they are never unbearably packed like Shanghai metro where your body is bound to touch someone else, sometimes squeezing into it. People are generally quiet, although not as quiet as you expect based on stereotype. The stations are not fancy or pretty, but in good condition. The staff are very helpful if you have questions (an they speak decent English!) It really works quite well and I have no bad word against it considering how many people it carries each day.

For Shanghai, the system itself is quite good, but taking it is not pleasant due to the crowd.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 680,388 times
From a general websearch on the topic, these are the two articles that give a top 10 ranking.

9 best metro systems in the world | CNN Travel

1. Hong Kong
2. Seoul
3. Singapore
4. London
5. Paris
6. Madrid
7. New York City
8. Tokyo
9. Guangzhou, China

https://www.thevacationtimes.com/201...-in-the-world/

1. London
2. Hong Kong
3. Singapore
4. Paris
5. New York City
6. Tokyo
7. Moscow
8. Stockholm
9. Seoul
10. Athens

Old 09-27-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
From a general websearch on the topic, these are the two articles that give a top 10 ranking.

9 best metro systems in the world | CNN Travel

1. Hong Kong
2. Seoul
3. Singapore
4. London
5. Paris
6. Madrid
7. New York City
8. Tokyo
9. Guangzhou, China

https://www.thevacationtimes.com/201...-in-the-world/

1. London
2. Hong Kong
3. Singapore
4. Paris
5. New York City
6. Tokyo
7. Moscow
8. Stockholm
9. Seoul
10. Athens
OK, if they put NYC ahead of Tokyo, it has no credibility whatsoever. At least for me. The thought of having to take the NYC metro scares me.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 AM

1,173 posts, read 680,388 times
Quote:
OK, if they put NYC ahead of Tokyo, it has no credibility whatsoever. At least for me. The thought of having to take the NYC metro scares me.
I think it includes the convenience factor of 24 hour operation and the passenger load.

Also the article was written a while ago when the NY subway wasn't as much of a mess as it is right now. If you were unfortunate enough to try to use it this summer, you'll have seen it (and much of the city's infrastructure) at its lowest ebb in quite a while.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 679,172 times
Quote:
First from CNN is better, yet Tokyo is in front of London Paris and NYC for sure.
Second one, exceptional BS London, alone in front of asian systems such as Seoul, Tokyo, HK, Shangai
Niarf niarf

Old 09-27-2017, 10:30 AM

571 posts, read 227,563 times
NYC, it has the most character but that's about it.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:57 AM

7,715 posts, read 2,584,270 times
To get a proper view of London's system you have to look at the different levels at which it operates.

Firstly you have the busy regional train lines in and out of London, the maps below do not include Crossrail (the Elizabeth Line) which becomes fully operational at the end of next year.

London and South East Rail Map

Secondly you have London's rail and tube network

London Rail and Tube Services Map

And it should be noted that like Paris, London is increasingly operating Metro Style Services on heavy rail lines with services such as London Overground, Thameslink and Crossrail.

Metro style services on heavy rail lines - Rail Technology Magazine

TfL takeover of London rail could be 'Crossrail 3' – Lord Adonis - Rail Technology Magazine

London Overground - Wikipedia

Thameslink Programme - Network Rail

New trains for the Thameslink route - Thameslink Programme

Crossrail - Crossrail

Crossrail 2 - Supporting Growth in the South East

As for future planning -

Planning for the future - Transport for London

Reinvesting in transport - Transport for London

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-27-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 11:08 AM

14,217 posts, read 14,512,413 times
I have used a lot of metro systems in the world and I have lived in London, lived in the New York area and visited Paris on many occasions. The only Asian system I have used is Hong Kong so cannot really comment on them.

The New York system is old, dirty and confusing. Its main benefit is that it is relatively cheap (subsidized by tolls on bridges and tunnels) and runs 24 hours a day.

The London and Paris systems are pretty much on the same level. They are generally well run, fairly clean and easy to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or