Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Greater Los Angeles 44 59.46%
Greater Tokyo 30 40.54%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 11:13 PM

185 posts, read 105,212 times

Advertisements

If you say population density and city size Shanghai is surrounded by large population citie One hour high speed train in Shanghai You can go to Suzhou, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Wuxi and Ningbo Suzhou population 12.748 million people Hangzhou 11.936 million people Nanjing 9.31 million people Ningbo 9.4043 million people Wuxi 7.46 million people There are three big cities in Guangdong, China Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong The total population of Guangdong is close to that of Japan If you add Hong Kong and Macao Almost the total population is 134 million The area of Guangdong is 47.5% of that of Japan Shenzhen has a population of 17.5601 million There are 18.6766 million people in Guangzhou I think only Americans think Los Angeles is the largest city in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 09:40 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
Los Angeles because that is just too much reading above.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:07 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times

100+km away from Tokyo in its "inland empire"

https://goo.gl/maps/wcRh74cUJrjSCUDF9
https://goo.gl/maps/z7Z3o1MeMhFWPX437

actually does look vaguely like LA

Old 05-24-2021, 07:57 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
I've never been to Tokyo but the LA metropolis is pretty bigger when you include Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura counties. All of these areas depend on LA for business, commerce, entertainment, etc. on larger scale.
But in that case for Tokyo you should include the prefectures of Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, Tochigi, and Ibaraki. Only if you include San Diego for LA then it could compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

100+km away from Tokyo in its "inland empire"

https://goo.gl/maps/wcRh74cUJrjSCUDF9
https://goo.gl/maps/z7Z3o1MeMhFWPX437

actually does look vaguely like LA
Yes it does, especially when you break down and compare the prefectures/counties that I listed above.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:22 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
But in that case for Tokyo you should include the prefectures of Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, Tochigi, and Ibaraki. Only if you include San Diego for LA then it could compete.

Yes it does, especially when you break down and compare the prefectures/counties that I listed above.
First off those map links are in Gunma. So you would have to include that prefecture as well to the comparison. I have never been to Gunma, Tochigi or Ibaraki, but I have traveled extensively in Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama. Yes, Chiba does encompass the eastern suburbs of Tokyo, but beyond that it is 90% farms and small farm towns, which are not considered part of Tokyo. The northern and western parts of Saitama include small isolated mountain towns. Does anybody consider Big Bear to be a part of LA? To make that comparison fair, you would not only have to include San Diego, but the entire Southern California desert as well as the entire Central Valley as well. I don't think anyone would claim those areas are a part of LA.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
First off those map links are in Gunma. So you would have to include that prefecture as well to the comparison. I have never been to Gunma, Tochigi or Ibaraki, but I have traveled extensively in Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama. Yes, Chiba does encompass the eastern suburbs of Tokyo, but beyond that it is 90% farms and small farm towns, which are not considered part of Tokyo. The northern and western parts of Saitama include small isolated mountain towns. Does anybody consider Big Bear to be a part of LA? To make that comparison fair, you would not only have to include San Diego, but the entire Southern California desert as well as the entire Central Valley as well. I don't think anyone would claim those areas are a part of LA.
We should include areas that maintain at least continuous urban corridor between themselves and the metropolitan center. Most of Chiba would not be included but the western urbanized area would be included. It's not about including a whole prefectures, I think that is too broad of a granularity. But we shohuld include the urban parts of them that are continuously urban, which inclues those parts of Gunma.

LA-San Diego is not continuously urban the way Tokyo-Yokohama is. There is a significant gap between them more similar to Tokyo-Shizuoka, which shouldn't be counted for Tokyo

Including the very southern tip (Bakersfield) would be a big stretch seeing as you have to pass through terrian like this to get between them:

https://goo.gl/maps/tafS6qFjkwVbVoGp8

but at least it's slightly reasonable. Including the whole thing is nonsense. That would include places >500 miles away from LA and further north of SF and even Sacramento.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:07 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I forgot about Gunma. I pretty much consider the Kanto Region as synonymous with the Tokyo MSA, and technically parts of Shizuoka (at least Atami) and Yamanashi prefectures could be considered suburbs of Tokyo. Even the western parts of Tokyo prefecture are rural, and Tokyo's Narita Airport is in the rural part of Chiba surrounded by farmland (you're probably familiar with the controversy behind that).

As for California's Inland Empire counties, they do stretch pretty far east (all the way to the AZ/NV border) so you can cut off certain areas to be considered part of the LA MSA (Pretty much anything past Moreno Valley, San Bernardino City, and Racho Cucamonga). I know locals in Riverside and OC don't like to associate themselves with LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
We should include areas that maintain at least continuous urban corridor between themselves and the metropolitan center. Most of Chiba would not be included but the western urbanized area would be included. It's not about including a whole prefectures, I think that is too broad of a granularity. But we shohuld include the urban parts of them that are continuously urban, which inclues those parts of Gunma.

LA-San Diego is not continuously urban the way Tokyo-Yokohama is. There is a significant gap between them more similar to Tokyo-Shizuoka, which shouldn't be counted for Tokyo

Including the very southern tip (Bakersfield) would be a big stretch seeing as you have to pass through terrian like this to get between them:

https://goo.gl/maps/tafS6qFjkwVbVoGp8

but at least it's slightly reasonable. Including the whole thing is nonsense. That would include places >500 miles away from LA and further north of SF and even Sacramento.
Osaka is to Tokyo as SF is to LA. They are both equal and distance and about the same travel time by bullet train (once California completes their HSR line). Not to mention they are both the core cities of the 2nd largest metros in their respective country/state.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I forgot about Gunma. I pretty much consider the Kanto Region as synonymous with the Tokyo MSA, and technically parts of Shizuoka (at least Atami) and Yamanashi prefectures could be considered suburbs of Tokyo. Even the western parts of Tokyo prefecture are rural, and Tokyo's Narita Airport is in the rural part of Chiba surrounded by farmland (you're probably familiar with the controversy behind that).

As for California's Inland Empire counties, they do stretch pretty far east (all the way to the AZ/NV border) so you can cut off certain areas to be considered part of the LA MSA (Pretty much anything past Moreno Valley, San Bernardino City, and Racho Cucamonga). I know locals in Riverside and OC don't like to associate themselves with LA.
Well, that is like considering all of Southern California to be LA.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:55 AM

10 posts, read 6,815 times
People are using incorrect satellite data here. The scales are not accurate. The world is not accurate on your screen. For example Britain and Japan use different metrics for measurement. Britain should be smaller and cutting and pasting satellite images is not only wrong for scale but it is also wrong in that when you zoom in close, you will see urban area is empty and other areas of green are actually suburban. This is die to geographical features.

Having studied this for 20 years and assisted in London in the London Plan 2011, London is larger is suburbanised landmass than LA (yes a lot of people don't believe it until they use that zoom on Bing Maps in particular as this is currently the best mapping for this purpose but do not cut and paste again - you must measure yourself and then do the same to where you're comparing and it will take a lot more time than you think). No city in China is anywhere near the size of most US cities or London in area, or nay English speaking country except New Zealand, but in population they are far denser (on aggregate across the landmass of each).

Tokyo is larger than LA in area and population. I can give you more stats based on detailed urban research data but as this is about Tokyo and LA I suppose will leave it there. No subject causes more extended debate than this one. I now work in a business than analyses for clients and for investment purposes in property and infrastructure - it is in our interests to know up to date sizes of metro areas dependent on a particular CBD for commercial reasons, even when local authorities and governments haven't caught up yet. The only real issue for us is when two (significant size) cities overlap, that's where it becomes complicated, and you have to measure commuting patterns and attribute a percentage to each in an inexact science, but still fairly accurate and reflective. This can and does change over time with the relative success of its neighbour. However, the world of urbanisation does overlap more often than not now, so this exercise is more complicated and needs work to determine how you untangle administrative borders with commuting patterns that may do the opposite. Citizens may be in one city administratively speaking, yet commuting ties, cultural, leisure affiliation belong to the neighbour. Economically speaking they belong to one but administratively the other. Let the food fight begin!

Old 07-25-2021, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9966018461 View Post
Your links didn't work, but here is the image. I'm not sure how accurate it is or is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World