U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 01:44 PM

10,847 posts, read 10,455,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's not that bad in the most populous areas. Personally, Canada overall has the best weather in my view, and even then it gets too hot in the summer in inland Canada.

Ideal weather range for me is -10c to 15c. Anything above 25c = I die. YMMV.
then you are the minority.
Even for a mild city like Toronto (by Canada standard), it frequently drops to under -15C in the winter and can stay that way for days.

two years ago, the temperature never rose above 0C the entire Feb, not for a single minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 05:04 PM

15,518 posts, read 18,024,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, a starter condo doesn't cost $2M, unless you think start condos are 1500sf with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with good views.

For example, this 610sf condo costs 679,000. Another 667sf costs 620,000.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/10_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/10_zm/
But 600 to 700 square feet is a pretty small space that is hardly glamorous to live in, especially if you have a family with teenaged children (which most people eventually will).

I consider 1200 square feet to be starter and 2000+ square feet to be more normal/desirable. Less than that just isn’t worth it.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:47 PM
BMI

6,384 posts, read 3,677,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
then you are the minority.
Even for a mild city like Toronto (by Canada standard), it frequently drops to under -15C in the winter and can stay that way for days.

two years ago, the temperature never rose above 0C the entire Feb, not for a single minute.
To be fair, february 2015 was the coldest february on record.

Average winter temps in Toronto are similar to Prague, Oslo, Stockholm, Kiev,
cold by most people's standards, not siberian frigid.

The rest of the year temperatures in Toronto aren't too bad, in fact actually quite nice.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 PM

125 posts, read 84,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
From all the places i've lived ( UK, Canada, Brazil, France) i would still take the US.
Why?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:12 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,224,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
Why?
Because it has it all... Great cities like Chicago, NYC, SF, Miami etc. The US is blessed geographically with mountains, deserts, plains, volcanos. Goods are cheap compared to most countries. It is just a great place to live.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,035,488 times
As we are humans, we are social creatures. It is impossible to address the questions of where best to live without taking into account inconvenient facts like your professional skills, language facility, options for the nuclear family, and extended family friends. Also, through no choice of our own, we are born into a set of cultural norms. So the starting point of any search starts necessarily with all that baggage.

For this American of middle age with mortgage that is being paid down and kids in or heading to college, whilst I fantasize about living elsewhere it is simply not practical. Were I twenty years younger and single with very portable skills, hmmm...I might follow a beautiful new love overseas or to another state, etc.

All that said, I have thirty please years of travel and exploration awaiting me here in the Inland NW alone. It is not easy to travel when your voice is but one of many and the seasons force your hand.

But I having done two stints on the East Coast already, I will stay home, in the West, where I belong...

Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM

14,804 posts, read 16,859,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Given the violent,divided sinking ship the u.s. is becoming,what are some livable equivalents around the world? I know Canada is one...
Every country has their little "political situations" just like the U.S, you just don't hear much about them because there isn't much international coverage in the U.S....

I have been to Winnipeg and Thunder Bay Canada and it was a very nice vibe, very peaceful... not as similar to America as everyone says, the cities have a different layout and its more quiet and peaceful in the downtown areas... Winnipeg was a very nice and diverse city, you will see people from all different parts of the world in the middle of the Canadian Prairies, its really beautiful..... they have some of the same problems as we do just not as extreme.

You can't just move there though, maybe you can go to school there? your best bet would be to move to a progressive U.S state.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 PM

5,873 posts, read 2,412,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I live in the US, and Ill still take it. You can go elsewhere though.
How does this post add value?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM

5,873 posts, read 2,412,221 times
I would not worry about violence but rather incessant constant lay offs across the board in the USA and the resultant wage reductions for all kinds of professions. Life for the middle class in the USA wont be tops anymore, if it even is now.

If I were to leave it would be for economic reasons and getting tired of being laid off.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 AM

23 posts, read 43,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Given the violent,divided sinking ship the u.s. is becoming,what are some livable equivalents around the world? I know Canada is one...
Individual values vary a lot. Which implies that opinions will vary accordingly. For me, and more or less in this order, here's what I value:

1. PEACE INDEX

I'm interested in general quality of life. For that, I appreciate the international ranking of the Global Peace Index. It shows rankings since 2008:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

The United States is ranked at 114 out of a possible 163 countries (in this list, lower ranks are 'better'). That implies that there are 113 more peaceful places in the world from which to choose a more peaceful life. That's a lot to choose from. Start to rank them by air quality and I'd say you're off to a great start to the rest of your [quality of] life!

2. AIR QUALITY

One of the most underrated criteria is health-related: air quality. The quality of the air that you breath has a big influence on your overall well-being. So, no matter how industrious, or modern, or beautiful a place may be, if the air quality reveals unhealthy conditions, I exclude such a place from my list.

Roughly 40% of people in the U.S. live in unhealthy air. Some have no idea how important a consideration this is. Others downplay it while they can (human nature, I suppose; we downplay a lot of things that are bad for us because they don't knock us down immediately). Ozone and particle pollution aren't just inconveniences that everyone should ignore; they're implicated in both pulmonary and cardiovascular disease.

I spoke with a representative from the American Lung Association about their data when I was considering my next relocation destination. I was told to avoid dwelling near busy roadways for obvious reasons of automotive exhaust concentrations. It's surprising to me how many apartment buildings are built within a quarter mile of major highways, even more surprising how many people choose to live in these places.

Another thing he told me is to consider wind patterns. He used the example of New York City, saying that some people will live in Connecticut but drive into the city for work, but that northerly coastal winds drive a lot of the city's pollution up into Connecticut, making for a somewhat counter-intuitively poorer air quality in parts of Connecticut than in the city itself.

Anyway, for a quick overview of the health effects of two kinds of air pollution -- ozone and particle pollution -- the American Lung Association's page is a good place to start:

Health Effects of Ozone and Particle Pollution | American Lung Association

And, since your question is about places outside the U.S., there's a real-time, zoomable, world air-quality map here:

https://waqi.info/

3. WEATHER

If the air is relatively safe to breathe, and the quality of life is relatively peaceful, then the 3rd criteria important to me is how much I might enjoy being outside. The results of what kind of weather most people consider ideal are outlined on this page:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...st-weather.php

From that page, the 'short answer' conclusion is this:

In summary, here's what people say makes for good city weather:
  • Temperature of 20 to 26 C (68 to 79 F)
  • No rain
  • Partial cloud, covering one-quarter of the sky
  • Light breeze of 1 to 9 kph (0.6 to 5.6 mph)

I prefer it a bit cooler than above, and I don't mind a bit of rain now and then.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

I didn't bother mentioning crime rate or cost of living.

I think most people want to feel safe, but what that means to different people can vary widely. A retired cop in decent physical shape and with a concealed carry permit probably feels safe-enough in many places where an less fit, not combat-alert, non-carrying person would feel too frightened to be outside alone, or outside at all after dark.

As for cost of living, we're not going anywhere if we can't afford to live there so that seems self-evident enough for just a passing comment here.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World