U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 PM

13,053 posts, read 14,385,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Given the violent,divided sinking ship the u.s. is becoming,what are some livable equivalents around the world? I know Canada is one...
Why would other countries want people who run away from their problems instead of trying to improve their home? The only exception is countries with conditions poor enough to give emigrees refugee status.

A fun game is to listen to Europeans and Canadians describe the US as a violence wracked hell hole, then ask if you can be considered a refugee. Suddenly, the US isn't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
The US is a diverse place not all states are the same
Firearm death rates in the US by state (per 100,000)

Top 5
1. Alaska: 19.59
2. Louisiana: 19.15
3. Alabama: 17.79
4. Mississippi: 17.55
5. Wyoming: 17.51

Bottom 5
Hawaii: 2.71
Massachusetts: 3.18
New York: 4.39
Connecticut: 4.48
Rhode Island: 5.33

Though that's still pretty bad considering most developed nations have rates <1
2/3 (or some similarly large figure) of the firearm deaths in the US are suicides. All the above disparity says is that people in those states have lost the will to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 04:41 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,088,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why would other countries want people who run away from their problems instead of trying to improve their home? The only exception is countries with conditions poor enough to give emigrees refugee status.

A fun game is to listen to Europeans and Canadians describe the US as a violence wracked hell hole, then ask if you can be considered a refugee. Suddenly, the US isn't so bad.

2/3 (or some similarly large figure) of the firearm deaths in the US are suicides. All the above disparity says is that people in those states have lost the will to live.
That is true so these figures would be more accurate then.

Top 5
1. Alaska: 6.53
2. Louisiana: 6.38
3. Alabama: 5.93
4. Mississippi: 5.85
5. Wyoming: 5.84

Bottom 5
Hawaii: 0.90
Massachusetts: 1.06
New York: 1.46
Connecticut: 1.49
Rhode Island: 1.78

Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
Singapore
After all the places in Asia you pick the only one which is at some risk of terrorism...

Old 10-04-2017, 07:45 PM

10,531 posts, read 4,482,950 times
Canada is really overrated honestly. It's just as suburbanized as the US, awful climate, isolated, expensive, and has much lower salaries. You're basically moving to a poorer version of the US that still has the same social problems that you face in the states. The only benefit of Canada is lower violent crime, so you're essentially trading a bit of your personal safety for lower salaries and a much harsher climate

Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 PM

6,144 posts, read 3,874,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
After all the places in Asia you pick the only one which is at some risk of terrorism...
Is this a joke? Most of Asia is rife with terrorism. Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria are all in Asia. The Philippines, China, Thailand all had some in the last few years as well. Your idea of Asia is like in Mars or Venus tbqh.

Singapore isnít one of them. Not even close.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 PM

5,360 posts, read 5,239,886 times
Since I moved to Boston area 4 years ago, there have been quite a lot of gun shots in the city or suburbs, not to mention the marathon bombs. A guy in my neighborhood shot his wife and kids, and then himself. There was also a gun shot near my office building (I forgot if someone was dead or not.)

Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,433,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Canada is really overrated honestly. It's just as suburbanized as the US, awful climate, isolated, expensive, and has much lower salaries. You're basically moving to a poorer version of the US that still has the same social problems that you face in the states. The only benefit of Canada is lower violent crime, so you're essentially trading a bit of your personal safety for lower salaries and a much harsher climate
Overall I have to agree.....Canada is not a bad country at all of course but the positive differences with he US are highly overrated and the negative ones tend to be swept under the rug....

Old 10-05-2017, 11:30 AM

317 posts, read 94,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Overall I have to agree.....Canada is not a bad country at all of course but the positive differences with he US are highly overrated and the negative ones tend to be swept under the rug....
To me, Canada is to the US what the Coke Zero is to Coke.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 558,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Lower wages is balanced out by money saved from increased personal safety. You typically need to pay a large part of your salary for a safe American city, or pay for security in a cheaper but less safe area, along with paying to recover from theft/assault incidents.

But I don't know much about Canada or have a desire to live there. You have to pay extra for winter heating I'd imagine.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:18 PM

10,792 posts, read 11,639,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As that is your view, then leave. The majority of people in the US do not have this pessimistic view and will stay. We've dealt with adversity for 100's of years and still the high majority stay. We will not be refugees from the US, Period.
I think the OP is looking to be an immigrant, not a refugee. At least for the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World