U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most impressive to visitors?
Paris 28 43.08%
Rome 10 15.38%
New York City 27 41.54%
Hong Kong 13 20.00%
London 27 41.54%
Kyoto 2 3.08%
Prague 4 6.15%
Florence 3 4.62%
Dubai 1 1.54%
Saint Petersburg 1 1.54%
Moscow 1 1.54%
Vienna 4 6.15%
Toronto 5 7.69%
Madrid 4 6.15%
Copenhagen 4 6.15%
Milan 4 6.15%
San Francisco 3 4.62%
Los Angeles 6 9.23%
Washington DC 3 4.62%
Cairo 1 1.54%
Sydney 3 4.62%
Melbourne 2 3.08%
Buenos Aires 1 1.54%
Mexico City 1 1.54%
Tokyo 16 24.62%
Beijing 1 1.54%
Singapore 3 4.62%
New Delhi 1 1.54%
Bangkok 2 3.08%
Seoul 5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 854,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I'll do as I like.

Anyone who is interested in any of the schemes can click on or not as they wish.

It's better than arguing nonsense over safety, when London a city of 8.8 million is one of the safest in the world for it's size.
I think that posting links to support your points are a GOOD thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 PM

347 posts, read 131,608 times
NYC definitely. London and Paris (although not my favorites). I think Istanbul deserves to be on the list - fantastic city.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM

347 posts, read 131,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China just had the National Day' holidays. Chengdu is by far the most popular destination in terms of profits (about 30 billion USD in one week).

Chengdu is unknown in the west, but it is the capital of Sichuan (Szechuan) Cuisine, hometown of panda bears, and the largest city near the Tibet Plateau. It's also famous for tea houses. In fact, Chengdu has 10x more tea houses than either Beijing or Shanghai. Its Western-style bars and clubs are also among the best in China.
I don't think it's unknown in the west. If you want to see Pandas this is where you're likely to go. We were just there in April. Interesting city - not one of my favorites in China though.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,048,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yea you can pretty much throw away that stupid ranking. I stopped reading seeing Chicago is safer than Shanghai.
If White in Chicago or Asian in Chicago ..... you are very safe as the crime YOU EVOKE IS WORST THERE .... sadly is greatly African-American against African-Americans. But you can toot the hone against that city ..... all you want as you will.
Quote:
I am aware of that. In any case, Chicago is not going to be "safer" than Shanghai.

Plus, personal safety is crucial, without which all the others are meaningless.
And again .... you comment on a city not even on the list....
Quote:
I did read the criteria, still pretty BS ranking.
Infrastructure? as if that's something cities like Chicago and LA are good at. It will just drag them lower.
Enough of this FIGHTING with everyone and DOGGING AN AMERICAN CITY NOT EVEN ON THE LIST.
Quote:
I think he was being sarcastic.

NYC is a great place, but whoever thinks it is impressive because of the skyscrapers are kind of superficial -- there are better places to see tall buildings. Midtown Manhattan is the most boring place on the island as a matter of fact.
You say this of NYC even ....
Quote:
What's the USE of Japan since it simply does whatever the US tells it to do?

I agree that UK is useless too since it is exactly like Japan. But France is by no means useless. Its refusal to get involved in the Iraqi war shows its independent foreign policy. I have no objection to Germany. It should replace the UK, which has been spineless for decades.
dogging Japan and the UK ......
Quote:
Paris, Prague, Vienna, Barcelona and to some extent Rome.

Didn't find NYC that impressive at all. Skyscrapers don't impress me as I have seen too many elsewhere. Los Angeles was a huge surprise, and not in the good way. San Francisco despite its big name, is so tiny and suburban feeling.
London was kind of boring, aesthetically. HK is basically a dump with apparent horrible living standards.

My Bangkok trip was the most disappointing among all. What an ugly city.

So you have issues with the US and UK and Japan..... But enough on Chicago and to dog LA too ..... Honestly, Chicago vs Toronto in Architecture just in high-rises and skyscrapers is different tiers AS YOU ASK WHAT ITS GOOD AT and its great street-grid with urban alleys and its awesome lakefront even your adopted .... Toronto can hope to gain yet .... Only because you ASK WHAT it's good at I will add pictures.

Sorry, knowing this Chicago isn't on the list.... a poster keeps bringing it in....
Still architecturally significant for the US.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 02:37 AM

3,457 posts, read 2,561,861 times
^Those are impressive pictures.

Chicago is a really, really impressive city, more so impressive than several of these on the list perhaps, I just personally didn't want to include too many from the US because proportionately I think it would then show bias on my end. But, it definitely is a cool place to see.

I gave LA the nod over Chicago not necessarily because it has better urban structure/form (it has some underrated facets, but it doesn't). But on overall body of work (natural areas surrounding, theme park type places, climate, etc.)

Old 10-20-2017, 02:34 PM

11,374 posts, read 13,916,948 times
New York City, London, Tokyo.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:33 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,743,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Paris, London and NYC are not ranked the safest cities in the world.

Here are the world's top 10 safest cities ranked by Economist:
https://dkf1ato8y5dsg.cloudfront.net...17-eng-web.pdf

Paris, London and NYC's rankings are comparatively low -- 24th, 20th and 21st -- out of 60 cities surveyed.
The economist discredits itself there by ranking Chicago as the 19th safest city on the list. Chicago is the most dangerous city in the western world and a top contender for being the most dangerous overall when considering the developing world as well. I don't think any other city in any halfway developed country has seen Cabrini Green like conditions.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:10 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,003,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The economist discredits itself there by ranking Chicago as the 19th safest city on the list. Chicago is the most dangerous city in the western world and a top contender for being the most dangerous overall when considering the developing world as well. I don't think any other city in any halfway developed country has seen Cabrini Green like conditions.
Chicago isn't even the most dangerous major city in the United States. Even with its homicide spike last year, it barely entered the top 10. Cabrini Green also barely exists at this point and the area is being developed into condos. Housing projects like it existed across the country, and many have met the same fate.

You tried though.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,743,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago isn't even the most dangerous major city in the United States. Even with its homicide spike last year, it barely entered the top 10. Cabrini Green also barely exists at this point and the area is being developed into condos. Housing projects like it existed across the country, and many have met the same fate.
In Chicago 15 people got killed in the 4th of July weekend and over 80 got shot and just wounded. I don't think any city, in or outside of the US, comes close to those kinds of numbers regardless of what statistics claim otherwise. Anyway, a report that claims Chicago is safer than London, Paris, Rome, or New York can't be taken seriously.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,048,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
In Chicago 15 people got killed in the 4th of July weekend and over 80 got shot and just wounded. I don't think any city, in or outside of the US, comes close to those kinds of numbers regardless of what statistics claim otherwise. Anyway, a report that claims Chicago is safer than London, Paris, Rome, or New York can't be taken seriously.
Chicago is not in this thread list. Whether by the FBI of the US stats or per 100,000 population as US statistics use. Chicago is not the crime capital of US cities.

If White or Asian especially..... you are very safe. You enjoy US cities with bad neighborhoods and neighborhoods labeled ghettos, or with visible de-industrialization and urban-blight and .... streetview connoisseur of US cities. But interjecting Chicago and African-American gang violence upon their own ..... is sadly a segment of that city and not the whole.

In fact -- Condé Nast readers recognized Chicago as the best big city for travelers to the USA 2017. Chicago swept the No. 1 spot for big cities, topping New York (second place), San Francisco (third) and Honolulu (fourth). Chicago was Voted second best in 2016 and third in 2015.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog...readers-101917

Further Chicago comments are actually off-topic, but I had to reply to negative on the city brought in again ....

Last edited by DavePa; 10-21-2017 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or