U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM

6,114 posts, read 6,633,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
London is great, just not as glamorous as u expected it to be. I'd visit it again though.
Oh, I'm not here for the glamor at all. I am here because it is a superior cultural and social fit for me than where I am from, which is America. London is a thinking man's city, a bonafide city for the more cerebral types.
Quote:
You forgot to say quality of life in Hong Kong is abysmal, except for the ultra rich.
No arguments here from my end. Insane housing costs depress the potential for a high standard of living in Hong Kong. Every time I get the notion that London is expensive in my head, I tend to think of Hong Kong and then smile that at the bare minimum, at least I don't have to put up with those insane housing costs. At least I don't have it that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM

508 posts, read 285,333 times
A lot of the answer depends on what that hype is. The dangerous and poverty stricken part of Detroit does more than live up to that hype but so does the hipster part.
No place I've traveled to perfectly matches my expectation. I usually find something I didn't expect to hate and plenty I didn't expect to like in every place I've been to.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:12 PM

13,484 posts, read 16,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I agree to some extent. My first time in Paris i wasn't that impressed , yes i was young but everybody talked so highly about it that when i got there it didn't blow my mind...I think maybe it is because i am person of extreme....For me a city has to have something abnormal like tons of skyscrapers or an unique architecture, or surrounded by breathtaking beauty.
The beauty of Paris is in the details. You can spend days just exploring the Louvre or dining at the cafes. Everybody prefers you to speak French there though.

I think Paris gets more enjoyable as you get a little older, like fine wine.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 PM

1,760 posts, read 761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I think Paris gets more enjoyable as you get a little older, like fine wine.
This is very true, I only truly enjoyed Paris on my 3rd visit there but that has more to do with a change within myself than the city itself. Paris is truly a great city it's just not as globally enjoyable as London or New York which can be like playgrounds for any taste, trend, culture or personality.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 PM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times
Quote:
You forgot to say quality of life in Hong Kong is abysmal, except for the ultra rich.

London is great, just not as glamorous as u expected it to be. I'd visit it again though.
I never thought of London as being glamorous. I always thought of is as being a big city that works. And that is exactly how it felt when i first visited it. I would use glamorous to describe Dubai, everything has to be top notch there.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 PM

1,760 posts, read 761,240 times
Exactly, London has always been proud of its Punk, anti-establishment attitude & working class cultures. From Cockney rhyming slang to the current grime movement. You may get glamour in Mayfair, Kensington, Chelsea, Hampstead and Dulwich but you also get hippy Camden and the ruggedness of Hackney and Brixton. London is plenty of towns mashed-up into one, each offering their own flavour.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:23 AM

6,218 posts, read 6,644,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The only cities that have lived up-to their hype and exceeded them in some cases for me are New York, Edinburgh and Rome. Paris and Barcelona, although great cities no doubt, didn't really live up to the hype.

The biggest let-down for me was Atlanta.
barcelona is indeed a little over rated !

Old 10-24-2017, 03:36 AM

135 posts, read 58,918 times
For England London and York definitely. Both deliver exactly what you are hyped to expect.

For London it's all been said already, but will add when I'm there it feels like an adventure playground. So much to see and do it's unreal.It feels like I'm in one of those city leggo sets they build, think in Denmark, and I mean that as a compliment.

York is tiny compared with most cities mentioned on this site but when you're there it feels five times larger and the sites and ambience are how it's hyped up to be. Your first walk up the Shambles with the Minster emerging into view is pretty unforgettable.

And like others have said, Paris matches and sometimes exceeds all the hype associated with it.When you're there it's a self contained universe and feels like there's no other city on earth.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 AM

206 posts, read 76,038 times
Paris, New York, London, Chicago, San Francisco, Cape Town, Charleston, and Barcelona to name a few. None of them are overhyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The biggest let-down for me was Atlanta.
Atlanta is very polarizing. It's a city in a dense forest, which is highly unusual. It has a suburban feel similar to Los Angeles or Johannesburg. Yet, it has that Southern elegance, great food, and an extraordinary history if you know where to look. I think it's a darling city.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Paris, New York, London, Chicago, San Francisco, Cape Town, Charleston, and Barcelona to name a few. None of them are overhyped.

Atlanta is very polarizing. It's a city in a dense forest, which is highly unusual. It has a suburban feel similar to Los Angeles or Johannesburg. Yet, it has that Southern elegance, great food, and an extraordinary history if you know where to look. I think it's a darling city.
Cape Town is overhyped in my opinion...Yes the surroundings are breathtaking but the city itself didn't impress me. Same with Rio. I live in São Paulo but travel often to Rio for work and the city itself is pretty disappointing. Brazilians here say that the best part of Rio is seeing it from above or from Niteroi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World