U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 PM

10,539 posts, read 9,142,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
First visits and first impressions only. Since some cities used to live up to the hype, but overtime, I feel they have fallen. San Francisco is an example of that.
I went to SF three times and never once it impressed me. After I saw Lisbon, I am like "this city has everything SF has, even the red bridge, and more".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:04 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,044,409 times
Frankly none . The best cities are ridicilously underrated.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 6,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Do you mind explaining why? Just curious.
Vienna, although beautiful, I found quite staid and boring. However I arrived directly from Sorrento. I've only been once, so that impression has stuck. I stayed with friends of friends, and not in a hotel. Remember, this is a first impression only. It wasn't so horrible that I won't go back. It was just I was expecting a bigger punch.

Milan. Again first impressions was when we stepped out of the train station. It looked like Moscow. Plain ugly buildings with cell towers or some sort of microwave and radio towers on almost every roof.

Other streets were nice enough, but again nothing that struck me. The Duomo was spectacular though. The couple of parks we walked through were dirty and dusty, with patches of dead grass. I guess since it is so famous for fashion, that I expected some sort of impact or feeling on the streets. It just didn't wow me like Florence, Sorrento, and Venice did.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I went to SF three times and never once it impressed me. After I saw Lisbon, I am like "this city has everything SF has, even the red bridge, and more".
Lisbon, at least in my circle of friends, seems to be the flavour of the day. Three different friends spent time there this summer. They all confirmed what a Dutch friend said years earlier. That Lisbon is a fantastic city to visit. They all RAVED about it.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,734,148 times
Vienna, Sydney, Auckland, Copenhagen, Honolulu, Atlanta all underwhelmed (except I still love Sydney)
Lisbon, Prague, Paris, Dublin, London, Perth Rome, Venice, Budapest, Montevideo all met or exceeded expectations.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Vienna, Sydney, Auckland, Copenhagen, Honolulu, Atlanta all underwhelmed (except I still love Sydney)
Lisbon, Prague, Paris, Dublin, London, Perth Rome, Venice, Budapest, Montevideo all met or exceeded expectations.
I was positively surprised about Honolulu, for a city on a isolated island it was pretty impressive.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 PM

158 posts, read 38,982 times
NYC
Istanbul
Florence
St. Petersburg

Old 10-24-2017, 09:07 PM

6,144 posts, read 3,874,685 times
Paris and Venice for me. And Tokyo and Kyoto.

Vienna is more of a living city than a visiting one. The sightseeing isnít the most exciting (still nice though) but its strength is how extremely well-kept and clean everything is. Probably more so than any other European capital. Itís also definitely amongst the safest European capitals.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Paris and Venice for me. And Tokyo and Kyoto.

Vienna is more of a living city than a visiting one. The sightseeing isnít the most exciting (still nice though) but its strength is how extremely well-kept and clean everything is. Probably more so than any other European capital. Itís also definitely amongst the safest European capitals.
That's how I would describe Vienna. I'm sure if I spent more time there I'd get to know it better. I did enjoy the Vienna Woods, and we did have a nice picnic in a nice park by the river.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,433,866 times
In my experience

Overhyped

New York
Paris
Hong Kong
Vancouver
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Chicago

"Fairly" hyped

Sydney
Barcelona
Rio
Bangkok
London
Madrid
Milan
Vienna
San Diego
Miami
Boston

"Under hyped"

Naples and other southern Italy cities.
Istanbul
Valencia
Seville
Lisbon (vastly underrated in my opinion)
Madrid
Buenos Aires
Washington DC
Brisbane

Obviously the reasons why someone consider a city "overhyped" or "underhyped" are often highly subjective...

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-25-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World