U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,433,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is there some common quality or feature of North American cities that you would say makes them overrated?
Very interesting point...yes in my opinion many cities in the Anglosphere (in particular North America) tend to be more overhyped than others. They are simply better at marketing and creating slogans, the movie industry, etc...
The North American mass culture dominance has definitely something to do with it.

I still vividly remember my first trip to LA in 1992 arriving from Sydney.......enormous disappointment...I could not really understand why some young Sydneysiders I did talk before my trip had some sort of "California dream"....must have been because of Baywatch and Pamela Anderson popularity back then!! (which is Canadian by the way)

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-25-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 6,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Very interesting point...yes in my opinion many cities in the Anglosphere (in particular North America) tend to be more overhyped than others. They are simply better at marketing and creating slogans, the movie industry, etc...

I still vividly remember my first trip to LA in 1992 arriving from Sydney.......enormous disappointment...I could not really understand why some young Sydneysiders I did talk before my trip had some sort of "California dream"....must have been because of Pamela Anderson back then!! (which is Canadian by the way)
In reagards to LA. Yes it's because of Hollywood, that many get the totally wrong impression of what to expect.

It also has changed so much over the years. It used to be much closer to that " California Dream " type of place.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,433,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In reagards to LA. Yes it's because of Hollywood, that many get the totally wrong impression of what to expect.

It also has changed so much over the years. It used to be much closer to that " California Dream " type of place.

I find that pretty much almost anything about California is overhyped...and even back then (year of my first trip) was not that different....

Surprisingly I do find San Diego not that overhyped....and RE prices (unless you talk about La Jolla or other trendy coastline locations) tend to be still reasonable...

Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 PM

1,965 posts, read 851,828 times
Santiago Chile was a great surprise for me. Very clean and modern. People are friendly and the cities infrastructures are pretty good.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:54 PM

16,499 posts, read 18,839,315 times
Madrid, Montreal, Sydney, Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya were cities that I thought met or exceeded my expectations. The last one especially considering that no one is really supposed to like Nagoya. It was also interesting being told how dangerous Osaka is supposed to be (lol!) and how ineffective the mass transit in Nagoya is (lol again). I've been to many other cities which I liked a lot, but most had at least a few off-putting things to them.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-25-2017 at 11:35 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 01:49 AM

6,144 posts, read 3,874,685 times
I find Osaka similar to Taipei, which is probably why I didn't like it.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:58 AM

83 posts, read 18,539 times
Istanbul, London, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Rapallo.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:32 AM

10,539 posts, read 9,142,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The North American mass culture dominance has definitely something to do with it.

I still vividly remember my first trip to LA in 1992 arriving from Sydney.......enormous disappointment...I could not really understand why some young Sydneysiders I did talk before my trip had some sort of "California dream"....must have been because of Baywatch and Pamela Anderson popularity back then!! (which is Canadian by the way)
looool.

I did my graduate school in LA... what we Chinese students call LA is "the large suburb". You can' walk to anywhere, most buildings are like 2 stories tall and ugly. Freeways everywhere. Can't walk alone at night even near the campus. Downtown is scary, and even the over hyped "west wide" is still --- a large suburb. Westwood is dreary. Santa Monica is a suburb too. Basically your lifestyle is drive, park and get into a shopping plaza or something.

I seriously don't know why people look up to LA. The only thing I miss about it is the palm trees, but they exist in other cities as well. There is no glamour with LA whatsoever.

Now looking back, I seriously wished I had studied in France or something. Even a city like Lyon or Toulouse is far more interesting (and beautiful) than Los Angeles (or much hyped San Fran for that matter, which in my opinion is no more attractive than Lisbon). NYC and Boston are probably the only two places I would want to spend a few years there (Philly is a bit scary). I honestly don't know how many of my friends spent years in Indiana, Illinois (outside Chicago), upstate NY, Texas etc.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:09 AM

155 posts, read 35,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
looool.

I did my graduate school in LA... what we Chinese students call LA is "the large suburb". You can' walk to anywhere, most buildings are like 2 stories tall and ugly. Freeways everywhere. Can't walk alone at night even near the campus. Downtown is scary, and even the over hyped "west wide" is still --- a large suburb. Westwood is dreary. Santa Monica is a suburb too. Basically your lifestyle is drive, park and get into a shopping plaza or something.

I seriously don't know why people look up to LA. The only thing I miss about it is the palm trees, but they exist in other cities as well. There is no glamour with LA whatsoever.

Now looking back, I seriously wished I had studied in France or something. Even a city like Lyon or Toulouse is far more interesting (and beautiful) than Los Angeles (or much hyped San Fran for that matter, which in my opinion is no more attractive than Lisbon). NYC and Boston are probably the only two places I would want to spend a few years there (Philly is a bit scary). I honestly don't know how many of my friends spent years in Indiana, Illinois (outside Chicago), upstate NY, Texas etc.
I think LA is more beautiful than NYC in terms of nature. Also weather is warmer in LA than NY. NYC can be very windy sometimes. When I was in LA it was comfortable in high 20s low 30 degrees though I know it can reach to uncomfortable 40s. Santa Monica, Manhattan beach, Redondo beach were all very beautiful. Marina Del Rey was awesome. Also Disneyland and Universal Studios are great. Oh and the beautiful homes of Beverly Hills. Even not so rich neighbourhoods like Westchester are pretty. The architecture in LA is also more varied. You can see homes you may see in Connecticut or Mexico. I also like the laid back attitude in LA as opposed to NYC where everyone seems to be serious and in a rush.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM

16,499 posts, read 18,839,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
looool.

Well, things have changed in parts of LA. It's definitely still car-oriented, but it's much more possible to live without a car these days than it was, say, a decade ago. By the time the Olympics come around, LA's total area of where one can live without a car comfortably should have expanded by quite a bit. If you went to USC, that part of town is the part that's slated to change the most. There was the mostly grade-separated light rail that made its way to Santa Monica last year and the coming regional connector that adds multiple stops and connections in downtown and let's a link really far out into the suburbs. If you went to UCLA, well, that extension is still a while away unless LA finds a way to fund an accelerated schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World