U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,441,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
looool.

I did my graduate school in LA... what we Chinese students call LA is "the large suburb". You can' walk to anywhere, most buildings are like 2 stories tall and ugly. Freeways everywhere. Can't walk alone at night even near the campus. Downtown is scary, and even the over hyped "west wide" is still --- a large suburb. Westwood is dreary. Santa Monica is a suburb too. Basically your lifestyle is drive, park and get into a shopping plaza or something.

I seriously don't know why people look up to LA. The only thing I miss about it is the palm trees, but they exist in other cities as well. There is no glamour with LA whatsoever.

Now looking back, I seriously wished I had studied in France or something. Even a city like Lyon or Toulouse is far more interesting (and beautiful) than Los Angeles (or much hyped San Fran for that matter, which in my opinion is no more attractive than Lisbon). NYC and Boston are probably the only two places I would want to spend a few years there (Philly is a bit scary). I honestly don't know how many of my friends spent years in Indiana, Illinois (outside Chicago), upstate NY, Texas etc.

Yes.....I really find amusing that California is still regarded by some as one of the best places to be for the rich and famous (or only the rich).
In my opinion there are so many places much better than California to live if you are independently wealthy. I would take the entire Mediterranean coastal area of Italy, France and Spain over California hands down. Or the Atlantic coast of Portugal and northern Spain. I was surprised that the new Asian wealth has not targeted these areas more....I think there is still too much cultural emphasis and aspirations about living in an Anglo country.
Even the Pacific coast of Australia, from Melbourne all the way to northern Queensland, to me is preferable to California in a way (not as much as Europe obviously) maybe minus the cultural vibrancy that Australia cannot match..

To be fair, LA is a "strange animal" of a city....it is so large and disjointed that is almost pointless to talk about Los Angeles metro as a whole...some areas are actually nice or even very nice...I do not mind Pasadena, for example.

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-26-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:28 AM

2,003 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Vienna, although beautiful, I found quite staid and boring. However I arrived directly from Sorrento. I've only been once, so that impression has stuck. I stayed with friends of friends, and not in a hotel. Remember, this is a first impression only. It wasn't so horrible that I won't go back. It was just I was expecting a bigger punch.

Milan. Again first impressions was when we stepped out of the train station. It looked like Moscow. Plain ugly buildings with cell towers or some sort of microwave and radio towers on almost every roof.

Other streets were nice enough, but again nothing that struck me. The Duomo was spectacular though. The couple of parks we walked through were dirty and dusty, with patches of dead grass. I guess since it is so famous for fashion, that I expected some sort of impact or feeling on the streets. It just didn't wow me like Florence, Sorrento, and Venice did.
I do see similarities to Moscow, but i love Moscow, maybe that's why i enjoy Milan...Yeas it's a working town like Frankfurt but in terms of restaurantes, clubs, theater, live music it is second to none...Rome might edge out but still.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM

513 posts, read 286,992 times
Quote:
looool.

I did my graduate school in LA... what we Chinese students call LA is "the large suburb". You can' walk to anywhere, most buildings are like 2 stories tall and ugly. Freeways everywhere. Can't walk alone at night even near the campus. Downtown is scary, and even the over hyped "west wide" is still --- a large suburb. Westwood is dreary. Santa Monica is a suburb too. Basically your lifestyle is drive, park and get into a shopping plaza or something.

I seriously don't know why people look up to LA. The only thing I miss about it is the palm trees, but they exist in other cities as well. There is no glamour with LA whatsoever.

Now looking back, I seriously wished I had studied in France or something. Even a city like Lyon or Toulouse is far more interesting (and beautiful) than Los Angeles (or much hyped San Fran for that matter, which in my opinion is no more attractive than Lisbon). NYC and Boston are probably the only two places I would want to spend a few years there (Philly is a bit scary). I honestly don't know how many of my friends spent years in Indiana, Illinois (outside Chicago), upstate NY, Texas etc.
Man you sure scare easy. I'm surprised the gypsies haven't targeted you in Paris.
There is a show on CNN by Lisa Ling called "This is Life" or something like that and a recent episode is about the rich second generation Chinese kids in LA. It sure doesn't look like these people have trouble finding glamour in LA.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:35 AM

10,551 posts, read 9,172,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Man you sure scare easy. I'm surprised the gypsies haven't targeted you in Paris.
There is a show on CNN by Lisa Ling called "This is Life" or something like that and a recent episode is about the rich second generation Chinese kids in LA. It sure doesn't look like these people have trouble finding glamour in LA.
the Gypsies in Paris don't threaten your life with guns. They simply scam tourists for money. It is a completely different level of scary. Downtown LA, ok, if you dare let your daughter or wife walk there at night alone, then I agree it is not scary.

I agree second generation Chinese kids are pretty stupid in finding "glamour" in LA, which is just a super sized suburb. They are just clueless about the rest of the world, assuming everything in the US is glamorous. Because you know, in China, the word "US" trumps everything, with an aura in itself (most parents know littl about the world either).

Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM

13,505 posts, read 16,193,269 times
Quote:
looool.

This is why I tell people that when they come to the United States, they should visit the East Coast cities first. Boston to Washington DC is the most historic and urban part of the United States.

Other regions may have more beautiful topography, but nowhere has the the same level of development across 450 miles as the east coast cities do. You just get more bang for your buck. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-27-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM

303 posts, read 186,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, things have changed in parts of LA. It's definitely still car-oriented, but it's much more possible to live without a car these days than it was, say, a decade ago. By the time the Olympics come around, LA's total area of where one can live without a car comfortably should have expanded by quite a bit. If you went to USC, that part of town is the part that's slated to change the most. There was the mostly grade-separated light rail that made its way to Santa Monica last year and the coming regional connector that adds multiple stops and connections in downtown and let's a link really far out into the suburbs. If you went to UCLA, well, that extension is still a while away unless LA finds a way to fund an accelerated schedule.
I have friends that live in Central LA and do so just fine without a car. Growing up, my grandparents would tell me about when they lived in LA in their 20's and how it was nearly impossible to do so; so their reaction when I tell them people do it now without a problem is one of shock lol.

With LA being awarded the 2028 Olympics, I hope LA Metro focuses on central systems for the transit, especially the Purple Line subway extension to Westwood down Wilshire.

I personally love living in LA, but I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea

Old 10-27-2017, 11:46 AM

10,551 posts, read 9,172,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I have friends that live in Central LA and do so just fine without a car. Growing up, my grandparents would tell me about when they lived in LA in their 20's and how it was nearly impossible to do so; so their reaction when I tell them people do it now without a problem is one of shock lol.

With LA being awarded the 2028 Olympics, I hope LA Metro focuses on central systems for the transit, especially the Purple Line subway extension to Westwood down Wilshire.

I personally love living in LA, but I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea
Living without a car in theory is possible, but far from convenient like in real transit friendly cities. Are the trams and buses frequent enough (meaning headways shorter than 10 minutes)? Do they operate every day and most of the hours, including weekends (some buses stop at 5 or 6pm I think)? If I work the night shift, can I get to work by public transit? If I live in west LA and want to visit someone in Pasadena, will it be easily to do? Yes, I know there is tram to Pasadena, but what to do after you exit the tram? Not every house sit within 10 minutes of tram stops.

There was a period when my car broke down and I had to take the bus from Palms to Santa Monica to work. It was so tiring. A 15-20 minutes drive turns into two bus rides totalling more than an hour, and sometimes if you are unlucky you need to wait for the second bus for 25 minutes. It is good that LA is not cold.

They are improving, very fast, but I doubt there will be a day any time soon that many people can live a car free life.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:07 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,441,923 times
Quote:
Living without a car in theory is possible, but far from convenient like in real transit friendly cities. Are the trams and buses frequent enough (meaning headways shorter than 10 minutes)? Do they operate every day and most of the hours, including weekends (some buses stop at 5 or 6pm I think)? If I work the night shift, can I get to work by public transit? If I live in west LA and want to visit someone in Pasadena, will it be easily to do? Yes, I know there is tram to Pasadena, but what to do after you exit the tram? Not every house sit within 10 minutes of tram stops.

There was a period when my car broke down and I had to take the bus from Palms to Santa Monica to work. It was so tiring. A 15-20 minutes drive turns into two bus rides totalling more than an hour, and sometimes if you are unlucky you need to wait for the second bus for 25 minutes. It is good that LA is not cold.

They are improving, very fast, but I doubt there will be a day any time soon that many people can live a car free life.

I cannot even conceive not having a car for my lifestyle. I do enjoy the possibility of using public transportation to go to work or to spend few hours in a city downtown (or you could use Uber) but a car for me is essential especially in North America.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 PM

16,562 posts, read 18,881,491 times
Quote:
the Gypsies in Paris don't threaten your life with guns. They simply scam tourists for money. It is a completely different level of scary. Downtown LA, ok, if you dare let your daughter or wife walk there at night alone, then I agree it is not scary.

I agree second generation Chinese kids are pretty stupid in finding "glamour" in LA, which is just a super sized suburb. They are just clueless about the rest of the world, assuming everything in the US is glamorous. Because you know, in China, the word "US" trumps everything, with an aura in itself (most parents know littl about the world either).
Quote:

There are single women who walk alone (*gasp* even live alone!) in downtown LA these days who can easily afford otherwise. And it's not true that the "US" trumps everything in China as there are plenty of people I've known in and from China who aren't very big on the US at all.

Nowadays the trip from Palms to downtown Santa Monica is a trip on the Expo Line for many and it's pretty easy. The frequencies are pretty decent. It's every six minutes on weekdays and every twelve on weekends.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 PM

1,585 posts, read 521,212 times
Lived up to it:

Seoul
Bangkok
NYC
Paris
London
Monaco (if it counts)

Underwhelming:
Dubai
Seattle
Atlanta
Milan
Marseille
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World