U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:29 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,798,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are single women who walk alone (*gasp* even live alone!) in downtown LA these days who can easily afford otherwise. And it's not true that the "US" trumps everything in China as there are plenty of people I've known in and from China who aren't very big on the US at all.
I agree, I think Botti does exaggerate a little bit...I did walk several times in places considered "hot" even at night and nothing happened to me...situational awareness is always the key....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:29 AM

10,847 posts, read 10,188,292 times
Quote:
There are single women who walk alone (*gasp* even live alone!) in downtown LA these days who can easily afford otherwise. And it's not true that the "US" trumps everything in China as there are plenty of people I've known in and from China who aren't very big on the US at all.

Nowadays the trip from Palms to downtown Santa Monica is a trip on the Expo Line for many and it's pretty easy. The frequencies are pretty decent. It's every six minutes on weekdays and every twelve on weekends.
Of course there are single women walking anywhere. What I am asking was if YOU would feel safe to let your wife or daughter to walk there alone at night, and you didn't answer. Especially east of Main st.

Yes, more and more Chinese realize the US is not as great as they think, but I was talking about people who never went to the US. Trust me, it is a very prevalent belief in China that the US is so fantastic in every aspect. When I told them there are hundreds of homeless people in downtown LA/SF, they think I am totally making this up.

I am aware of the new line and I admit it has been improving a lot, and my experience was 10 years ago. However, as I said, most people can't rely on public transit on a daily basis, like the vast majority. The city doesn't have a mature and extensive enough network for people to get anywhere from anywhere with relative ease.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:30 AM

19,013 posts, read 20,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course there are single women walking anywhere. What I am asking was if YOU would feel safe to let your wife or daughter to walk there alone at night, and you didn't answer. Especially east of Main st.

Yes, more and more Chinese realize the US is not as great as they think, but I was talking about people who never went to the US. Trust me, it is a very prevalent belief in China that the US is so fantastic in every aspect. When I told them there are hundreds of homeless people in downtown LA/SF, they think I am totally making this up.

I am aware of the new line and I admit it has been improving a lot, and my experience was 10 years ago. However, as I said, most people can't rely on public transit on a daily basis, like the vast majority. The city doesn't have a mature and extensive enough network for people to get anywhere from anywhere with relative ease.
Absolutely I would, though the idea of "letting" my wife go where she wants is incredibly silly. I would warn people about where skid row is if they don't know, but that's about it.

Downtown LA is where a lot of the cultural life and nightlife has shifted to over the last several years, so it's kind of ridiculous to expect people to not go there and there's certainly been a massive difference in the decade that you've been gone which itself was really different from a decade before that when downtown LA was really at its nadir. There are lots of people living there now that aren't living in the streets and there are the sorts of stores (like grocery stores) that one would expect for an urban neighborhood with a large and fairly affluent residential population. The rents can be really expensive there now, too. If you do go back to LA for a visit for any reason, downtown LA is going to look ridiculous to you compared to a decade ago.

I agree the mass transit network isn't extensive enough especially given how vast the metro is. Even with all their plans laid out finished, most people are going to be left out and it's going to be central Los Angeles and parts of the Westside that really get much of anything.

I think there are different crowds of people in China which is to be expected. There's definitely a vocal crowd of people who vaguely think it's fantastic or at the very least better and there are also people who have a very strong dislike of the place or think it's featureless and bland either compared to China itself or to other countries. It also usually gets really unfavorable comparisons to Europe from Chinese immigrants I've known who have lived in both or currently live in Europe.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-28-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 AM

6,442 posts, read 4,442,196 times
Quote:
though the idea of "letting" my wife go where she wants is incredibly silly.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 AM

696 posts, read 1,080,071 times
Cities that surpassed expectations
Honolulu
London
Mexico City
New York
San Francisco

Cities that met expectations
Los Angeles
Paris

Cities that underwhelmed
Rome

Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 PM

1,164 posts, read 665,912 times
Quote:
You forgot to say quality of life in Hong Kong is abysmal, except for the ultra rich.

London is great, just not as glamorous as u expected it to be. I'd visit it again though.
If you're talking street ambiance, this seems to vary greatly depending on the prevailing crowd.

Every now and again you have a predominance of people from the conservative neighborhoods around Mayfair and similar neighborhoods, due to street events and so on. They tend to be more well-presented, the women more feminine and attractive, in my opinion. They tend to ramp up the glamor factor by an order of magnitude or so.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,304,220 times
Quote:
There is no hype about Atlanta. One should not expect anything in the first place lol.
Don't believe the no-hype.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,304,220 times
Gotham is still the one to beat. Gorgeous cobblestone streets, elegant 19th century row houses, incomparable deco scrapers, beaux arts, contemporary high-rises etc. And the brio - the intellectual capital of America. In fact I now consider New York a new old world city. Arguably, there are other contenders - the world city.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:44 AM

10,847 posts, read 10,188,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Gotham is still the one to beat. Gorgeous cobblestone streets, elegant 19th century row houses, incomparable deco scrapers, beaux arts, contemporary high-rises etc. And the brio - the intellectual capital of America. In fact I now consider New York a new old world city. Arguably, there are other contenders - the world city.
keep in mind it is the World forum, not the US forum, so "Gotham" in that wider context is not that difficult to be challenged. Cobblestone streets, 19th century row rises, art decor, beaux arts, many cities in the world have more and better of those.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM

7,199 posts, read 2,428,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I would have thought Boston with it's world famous Universities or Washington DC home to the Library of Congress, National Archive, Smithsonian etc would be strong contenders in relation to an intellectual capital of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or