U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban?
Toronto 16 69.57%
Sydney 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 PM
BMI

5,169 posts, read 2,704,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Toronto-Sydney is an interesting comparison, because the latter's geography and history of development have given it a distinct character. I suspect Melbourne might be a better direct comparison, though, even if it is a smaller city than its more northern twin. In terms of building height, it beats Sydney fairly comprehensively in both the number and height of skyscrapers, while its geography has encouraged development of a single CBD rather than the fragmentation you see in Sydney. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Australia
Toronto has mini CBD's going north along Yonge St.
Yonge and Elginton
Yonge and Sheppard

For this poll I chose Toronto, it is bigger and more dense with an amazing
amount of highrise residential built downtown over the last decade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:01 AM

4,066 posts, read 7,996,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Population wise, Greater Sydney is 5 mil, Greater Toronto is 6.4 mil (Census Metropolitan Area population is 5.9 mil)
With that 6.4 million stat, I must remark that Toronto is similar to my hometown of Houston. Both have the same metro population numbers and both are remarkably racially/ethnically diverse in their countries. Houston was just awarded the Most Diverse City in America™ award earlier this year and Toronto's diversity is renowned as being the epitome of Canadian Multiculturalism.

Surprisingly, Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world despite its smaller size. Canada definitely trails Australia in general for high COL.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:54 AM

10,540 posts, read 9,151,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
With that 6.4 million stat, I must remark that Toronto is similar to my hometown of Houston. Both have the same metro population numbers and both are remarkably racially/ethnically diverse in their countries. Houston was just awarded the Most Diverse City in America™ award earlier this year and Toronto's diversity is renowned as being the epitome of Canadian Multiculturalism.

Surprisingly, Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world despite its smaller size. Canada definitely trails Australia in general for high COL.
Sorry Toront never compares itself to Houston.
Toronto has 6.4m people on 6000 sq km, Houston has 6.4m on 26,000 sq km. The city of Toronto has 2.8m on 630 sq km, Houston has 2.1m on 1640 sq km. Toronto has good public transit and one can live without cars
This is why they are not similar at all.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:34 AM

638 posts, read 356,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

I found this ranking for 2017; Sydney's actually fairly well down the list at 31, with more than few US cities higher up the scale.
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And while you might pay Sydney prices, you also get paid Sydney wages (Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed)with the bonus of Sydney's lifestyle.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 04:32 AM

3,143 posts, read 4,710,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Population wise, Greater Sydney is 5 mil, Greater Toronto is 6.4 mil (Census Metropolitan Area population is 5.9 mil)

Greater Sydney area is 12,367 sq/km; Greater Toronto is 7,124 sq/km...quite smaller.

Sydney Urban area covers 1788 sq/km, Toronto Urban is 1751 sq/km.

Sydney proper Postal Code area is probably smaller than the City of Toronto.
It might be the way Australia Collects census data, and divides up metro Areas. "Brisbane", for instance, includes a lot of sparsely populated national parks and farming communities spanning almost 100km to the West, but not the 600,000 living people on the Gold Coast, which starts 40 km to the south. In would Imagine Sydney would be very similar, including the Blue Mountains but the much closer Wooloongong, and the Central Coast been separate.

The city of Sydney itself is 25Km's and has a population of about 200,000. All up for the cities around the Harbour from the East Cost to Parramatta, at the western end of it approximately 2 Million people live at an average density of 4,100 per Km's . Which is about 10% less than the city of Toronto, according to a previous post.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-03-2017 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 PM

737 posts, read 725,781 times
I think Toronto wins this fairly solidly. Toronto is a very urban and urbane city and less so Sydney.

This is often the case with outdoorsy cities like Sydney, they sacrifice their some urban delights for their outdoor ones. Outdoor cities also draw more people who enjoy and outdoor and sporting lifestyle and urbanity is their secondary concern.

This does not mean Sydney is less of a city than Toronto {or vice versa} but simply that each tend to cater to different tastes. There is no good or bad in such great cities as it comes down to what you want in your city but in terms of urbanity, Toronto takes it.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 PM

87 posts, read 19,531 times
Australia's cost of living rankings change with changes in the exchange rate.
Sydney has to be much more of an outdoor city because of the climate. Whether it is golf, swimming, football or whatever, it all happens all year.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:10 PM

150 posts, read 150,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
This is often the case with outdoorsy cities like Sydney, they sacrifice their some urban delights for their outdoor ones. Outdoor cities also draw more people who enjoy and outdoor and sporting lifestyle and urbanity is their secondary concern
I think that logic backfires. It's the same as saying outdoors cities encourages people to walk on the streets and promotes urbanity, while in cold weather cities everyone sticks indoors in the comfort of their double brick homes and never venture outside their house and their cars.

I know that's hardly the case, but I'd appreciate some reasonable discussion here

Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 PM

737 posts, read 725,781 times
Exactl, Sydney is more outdoorsy due to it's climate and beautiful location and hence the emphasis of the city and it's citizens tend to be more aligned with this than Torontonians. Vancouver is a smaller scale of Sydney.....beautiful setting but the city itself is rather soulless and Canadians outside BC refer to it as "no fun city".

This does not mean that overall Toronto is better but rather just more urbane.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 PM

150 posts, read 150,479 times
Of course, Sydney is more outdoorsy, that's why you see more people on the streets enjoying the urbanity rather than everyone sticking in their house and cars in cold weather cities like the great lake cities which are like Minneapolis, where the streets are dead. This does not mean that Sydney is better but just more urbane

Pardon for this overgeneralisation about Minneapolis and the great lake cities which I know is untrue, but again please see my above comment.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 11-07-2017 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World