U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:38 PM

11,321 posts, read 7,805,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
To a certain extent. I agree with you, that spending taxes on social spaces to improve the well-being of society is an imperative. However, spending money on the MIC has its perks as well. When most people think of wars, they only look at the end result, which of course has involves the use of firepower to cause death and destruction. But they ignore the investment that goes into developing new technologies. Sure many of them are for an ulterior motive, but they trickle down to society over time.

Here are a few things we have nowadays thanks to spending:

-GPS
-Satellites
-Commercial drones
-The TCP/IP standard that defines internet communication
High cost IMO. It would be better if we would just invent things for the greater good, and or commercial value. However what you say is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 04:47 PM

6,257 posts, read 6,086,862 times
All governments take taxes, since 4000BC

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,473,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
All governments take taxes, since 4000BC
No. Organised religion created the tax system. Religious authority is much older than government authority. Organised religion is also the first welfare office.

Hammurabi might've most of the judiciary authority, but the religion had the taxation.

Taxation is neither bound to a central government. Tributes to a warlord was taxation though he had no other control of a neighbouring tribe.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:06 PM

236 posts, read 80,716 times
Quote:
In no particular order, the 10 countries with no income taxes are:
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Oman
  • Bahrain
  • Qatar
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Kuwait
  • Bermuda
  • Cayman Islands
  • The Bahamas
  • Brunei
https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ome-taxes.aspx
7 out of the above 10 countries uphold Islamic law. Not sure what I am learning here.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM

236 posts, read 80,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. Organised religion created the tax system. Religious authority is much older than government authority. Organised religion is also the first welfare office.

Hammurabi might've most of the judiciary authority, but the religion had the taxation.

Taxation is neither bound to a central government. Tributes to a warlord was taxation though he had no other control of a neighbouring tribe.
I did not see your post until after I have posted mine. Wow, Airiete, you are amazing - like an encyclopedia.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:13 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,473,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I did not see your post until after I have posted mine. Wow, Airiete, you are amazing - like an encyclopedia.
Ask me about chemistry or red wine, I know nothing about that.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM

33,511 posts, read 51,670,847 times
Here is a list of countries by tax rates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_tax_rates

It looks like countries that pay the highest taxes have also the happiest citizens. They are happy because these societies are not only prosperous but also with high equality, social trust and honesty of government. They enjoy long paid vacations, zero out-of-pocket costs of health care, zero or low tuition costs and quality public services for all, etc...
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/09/the-...-in-taxes.html

Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ask me about chemistry or red wine, I know nothing about that.
Well without chemistry, there would be no red wine.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
7 out of the above 10 countries uphold Islamic law. Not sure what I am learning here.
Do they have other types of taxes?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 PM

16,131 posts, read 21,359,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's not too horrible if your taxes are used for things citizens can enjoy (education, healthcare, transportation, parks and recreations, etc...), but it really sucks when they are mainly used to create and maintain new wars...
^^^This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or