U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,212,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
I very much doubt that. Let me repeat the question I asked milkyway resident earlier. Would North America, Western Europe and Australia recognize Palestine if it was a Christian majority country? Oh also Turkey is a secular country in its constitution similar to France unlike US where the president swears on bible. Even though Turkey’s secularity is under attack by Islamists who have been supported by the west for years.
There are 57 Islamic countries in the world, most of which are recognized by North American and Western European nations. So I really doubt that the Muslim identity of Palestine is what impedes its international recognition. Of course it has everything to do with the ME conflict itself, but it's not the reason in and of itself for lack of recognition of Palestine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM

317 posts, read 94,407 times
Quote:
Let me repeat the question I asked milkyway resident earlier. Would North America, Western Europe and Australia recognize Palestine if it was a Christian majority country?
I take it you would answer yes to that. I don't know, actually.

Quote:
Oh also Turkey is a secular country in its constitution similar to France unlike US where the president swears on bible.
That's more symbolic really. The policies don't follow the doctrine of some old ass book.

Quote:
though Turkey’s secularity is under attack by Islamists supported by the west for years.
Dude, the West doesn't support Erdogan.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:44 PM

155 posts, read 35,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
There are 57 Islamic countries in the world, most of which are recognized by North American and Western European nations. So I really doubt that the Muslim identity of Palestine is what impedes its international recognition. Of course it has everything to do with the Middle Eastern conflict itself, but it's not the reason in and of itself for lack of recognition of Palestine.
Though this topic is not about the recognition of other 57 Islamic countries but about the recognition of Palestine and Kosovo in case you haven’t noticed.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I take it you would answer yes to that. I don't know, actually.

That's more symbolic really. The policies don't follow the doctrine of some old ass book.

Dude, the West doesn't support Erdogan.
Dude, Erdogan has been in power for 15 years. EU started membership negotiations when they came to power. He had red carpet treatment everywhere. Not to mention US support of Gulenists who were allies of Erdogan for a very long time and together they got rid of seculars in the army, police and judiciary. Anyways Turkey is off topic.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:59 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,212,439 times
Quote:
Though this topic is not about the recognition of other 57 Islamic countries but about the recognition of Palestine and Kosovo in case you haven’t noticed.
US, Canada and a substantial number of Western European countries have recognized Kosovo (which is also Muslim), but do not recognize Palestine. So wouldn't logic 101 dictate that religion has nothing to do with these nations' refusal to recognize Palestine?

Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
US, Canada and a substantial number of Western European countries have recognized Kosovo (which is also Muslim), but do not recognize Palestine. So wouldn't logic 101 dictate that religion has nothing to do with these nations' refusal to recognize Palestine?
No logic 101 would dictate they recognized Kosovo to spite Russia who supports Serbia.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM

23,727 posts, read 15,064,663 times
Quote:
I very much doubt that. Let me repeat the question I asked milkyway resident earlier. Would North America, Western Europe and Australia recognize Palestine if it was a Christian majority country?
Finland, Norway and Denmark are ready to recognise Palestina one second after a permanent peace treaty is signed between Israel and Palestina.

I believe this is the case with most European countries. Nothing to do with religion, everything to do with putting down the arms on both sides.

Selen, read here and notice that Israel has many times said the EU is way too pro Palestine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel...nion_relations

Old 11-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland, Norway and Denmark are ready to recognise Palestina one second after a permanent peace treaty is signed between Israel and Palestina.

I believe this is the case with most European countries. Nothing to do with religion, everything to do with putting down the arms on both sides.
Then they will probably keep waiting till the end of the world, because to sign a permanent peace treaty you need two parties who want to sign a permanent peace treaty and Israel has no reason whatsoever to sign a permanent peace treaty.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:15 PM

23,727 posts, read 15,064,663 times
Quote:
Then they will probably keep waiting till the end of the world, because to sign a permanent peace treaty you need two parties who want to sign a permanent peace treaty and Israel has no reason whatsoever to sign a permanent peace treaty.
Then we'll wait.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:21 PM

317 posts, read 94,407 times
Quote:
You mean the two-state solution, if yes then Isreal damn right won't sign it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World