U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2017, 12:43 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 1,041,848 times
Reputation: 546

Advertisements

There are about a dozens declared-independent countries with limited recognition but recognition of Kosovo and Palestine draw very sharp contrast in the other countries’ support!

Only listing out 59 major nations

Recognizes Kosovo as sovereign nation but not Palestine (21):
United States, Japan, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Canada, South Korea, Australia, Netherlands, Colombia, Switzerland, Belgium, Singapore, Austria, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Croatia

Does not recognize either Kosovo or Palestine (5):
Mexico, Spain, Israel, Greece, Myanmar

Recognizes both Kosovo and Palestine (14):
Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Egypt, Poland, Pakistan, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, Bangladesh, Sweden, Peru, Czech Republic, Qatar, Hungary

Recognizes Palestine but not Kosovo (19):
China, India, Russia, Brazil, South Africa, Indonesia, Argentina, Iran, Nigeria, Philippines, Iraq, Algeria, Vietnam, Venezuela, Romania, Kazakhstan, Chile, Ukraine, Morocco

Last edited by Daywalk; 10-31-2017 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2017, 05:11 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 716,744 times
Reputation: 1243
It's a pretty interesting contrast and one where political lines are easy to draw.

Countries aligned with the West tend to support Kosovo but not Palestine.

Countries that are not aligned with the West tend to support Palestine but not Kosovo.

Countries where Islam is the dominant religion tend to back both as they are territories with predominantly Muslim populations. It's interesting that Indonesia doesn't seem to recognize Kosovo, while neighboring Malaysia does.

Those that have internal strife tend to not support independence movements out of fear, it will open up the possibility separatism in their own backyard (Spain with Catalonia and Myanmar with the current Rohingya crisis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 05:17 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,588,132 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It's a pretty interesting contrast and one where political lines are easy to draw.

Countries aligned with the West tend to support Kosovo but not Palestine.

Countries that are not aligned with the West tend to support Palestine but not Kosovo.

Countries where Islam is the dominant religion tend to back both as they are territories with predominantly Muslim populations. It's interesting that Indonesia doesn't seem to recognize Kosovo, while neighboring Malaysia does.

Those that have internal strife tend to not support independence movements out of fear, it will open up the possibility separatism in their own backyard (Spain with Catalonia and Myanmar with the current Rohingya crisis).
basically it is not about those countries' independence, but about "what is in it for ME".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 05:20 AM
 
30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times
Reputation: 14021
Palestine has never proclaimed statehood. So I am not clear why it is recognized at this point by various nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 05:21 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 716,744 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
basically it is not about those countries' independence, but about "what is in it for ME".
Yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,537,399 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
basically it is not about those countries' independence, but about "what is in it for ME".
Well, for most countries there's nothing in for them regarding either Kosovo or Palestine.

Last edited by Ariete; 11-02-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,588,132 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Palestine has never proclaimed statehood. So I am not clear why it is recognized at this point by various nations.
It did in 1988, and most of the world recognize it. The congresses of UK and France voted to recognize it as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,112 posts, read 10,159,452 times
Reputation: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
basically it is not about those countries' independence, but about "what is in it for ME".
When, pray tell, is politics NOT about "what's in it for ME"?

Is that not the very definition of politics?

Last edited by bale002; 11-02-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 10,588,132 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
When, pray tell, is politics NOT about "what's in it for ME"?

Is that not the very definition of politics?
yes, but some admit it is self-interest, some pretend it is about some universal value, even good vs. evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 AM
 
30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times
Reputation: 14021
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It did in 1988, and most of the world recognize it. The congresses of UK and France voted to recognize it as well.
Can you send me a link with the source of your statement, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top