Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,320 times

Advertisements

Economics New York City, United States of America

Religion Vatican, Italy

Political Brussels, Belgium Headquarters of the European Union (ONU in NYC became worthless after 911)

Entertainment/Media - Los Angeles, United States of America (Hands down)

Tourism - Paris, France
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 02:57 PM

69 posts, read 228,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Economics New York City, United States of America

Religion Vatican, Italy

Political Brussels, Belgium Headquarters of the European Union (ONU in NYC became worthless after 911)

Entertainment/Media - Los Angeles, United States of America (Hands down)

Tourism - Paris, France
I might be tempted to separate entertainment and media? Los Angeles is most certainly the hands down winner in the entertainment industry (film, TV, music) but it's not at all a leader in news production, journalism or radio. I think New York probably gets that one. CNN is in Atlanta. BBC in London is the world's biggest broadcaster, Reuters is also in London. Also, not only Los Angeles but the USA are blown out of sight when it comes to the print media, where Asia dominates, followed by Europe.

I can't see Brussels beating Washington just yet for raw diplomatic clout. It will be a long, long, long time before Iran, Israel, Russia or China take more seriously a visit from an EU 'troika', or Jose Manuel Barroso, than it will Hillary Clinton...and if that does happen, the EU delegation will be behind those from Beijing and New Delhi in terms of diplomatic significance anyway.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
NYC and London. People who mention L.A. because of the entertainment industry fail to realize that NYC is up there when it comes to the entertainment industry as well. L.A. is the most influential city of the Western United States (with Seattle as 2nd) but not of the entire nation or the world. Also many of the people running the entertainment industry in L.A. are from the N.Y. area.

After that? Tokyo.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post

and what these articles are supposed to show finnally ? cos I don't see what put NY first....

And as for the ranking... if NY can be seen as a major player in the fashion industry, frankly... Rome as a number two tells everything about the credibility and revelence of this ranking.

and here is your study

a very interesting quotes :
Quote:
according to a survey by a U.S.-based language use group.The Global Language Monitor, a non-profit group that tracks words and phrases in the media, on the Internet and throughout the blogosphere, compiles an annual list of the top fashion cities.
in another words, it means more NY and Rome are cited it makes them more and more fashion....
frankly, I don't want to be rude, but it doesn't make sens.

Here is the point of view of a new designer : Top Five Fashion Cities for Shoppers and Industry Careers

Actually, it looks a little bit more real. so to make it short, you think Ny is the fashion capital because an algorithme says it, you think Rome is number two, and then Paris and Milan where the fashion is produced by artist who lives in these both cities, where all the "haute couture" and "pret à porter" is produced are ranked behind ny and rome...

As I mentionned above, the fashion industry is based in France and Italy, the companies of both countries are the ones who are the most important in the world, the place where they are based (so Paris and Milan) are the most important place about fashion, and fashion week won't change that nor a study made by american where amazingly an american city is first....

ah and BTW the most important fashion cities have their fashion week, and guess which city has the last fashion week among the big four ? Paris, and just before ? Milan. Actually, the ranking is decreasing, you are first to make your fashion week then it means in the fashion's world you are fourth, london which is the second city to make tha fashion week is ranked 3, then milan, then Paris. This is the opposite of what you were saying.

Last edited by caseras; 05-03-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 AM

I just wonder why so many people compare NY with London ???

London is far far behind cities like NY and Tokyo. It's even behind Paris !

Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
and what these articles are supposed to show finnally ? cos I don't see what put NY first....

And as for the ranking... if NY can be seen as a major player in the fashion industry, frankly... Rome as a number two tells everything about the credibility and revelence of this ranking.

and here is your study

a very interesting quotes :

in another words, it means more NY and Rome are cited it makes them more and more fashion....
frankly, I don't want to be rude, but it doesn't make sens.

Here is the point of view of a new designer : Top Five Fashion Cities for Shoppers and Industry Careers

Actually, it looks a little bit more real. so to make it short, you think Ny is the fashion capital because an algorithme says it, you think Rome is number two, and then Paris and Milan where the fashion is produced by artist who lives in these both cities, where all the "haute couture" and "pret à porter" is produced are ranked behind ny and rome...

As I mentionned above, the fashion industry is based in France and Italy, the companies of both countries are the ones who are the most important in the world, the place where they are based (so Paris and Milan) are the most important place about fashion, and fashion week won't change that nor a study made by american where amazingly an american city is first....

ah and BTW the most important fashion cities have their fashion week, and guess which city has the last fashion week among the big four ? Paris, and just before ? Milan. Actually, the ranking is decreasing, you are first to make your fashion week then it means in the fashion's world you are fourth, london which is the second city to make tha fashion week is ranked 3, then milan, then Paris. This is the opposite of what you were saying.
That article you posted is from Reuters. Even though they have a building in NY. They are Headquartered in London. Anyway thats not what i was saying. You act like there is no fashion designers and fashion companies in NY. What these other cities lack is the potential to find these great designers.Thats why we have TV Shows like Americas Next Top Model, Top Design, The Fashion Show, and Project Runway, Which are all in NYC
Also arent the most important fashion magazines made in NY. Your statement about it being an American and it being an American city is very simple. You assume that these people are using favoritism. Thats the answer everybody uses when things dont seem to go their way. "Oh he choose that guy because they were friends". Look lets just say there tie because if they were any better than the next, these cities wouldnt be called the BIG FOUR in Fashion.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Pyongyang and Tehran are in a sense most powerful cities due to how dangerous they can be. Major decisions are made in these two cities. If they're truly really 'nuclear armed' ready, use of it will cause the next world war.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,774 times
NYC by a landslide.
It rocked before, it still rocks and it will rock in the future also

Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 PM

492 posts, read 961,907 times
I suspect that should humanity need to focus on one center of cultural domination it would have to be Paris. I don't thing the French would have it any other way. Nor would I.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
That article you posted is from Reuters. Even though they have a building in NY. They are Headquartered in London. Anyway thats not what i was saying. You act like there is no fashion designers and fashion companies in NY.
no whatsoever, I said, NY can be seen as a major player in the fashion industry, read my previous post, you will see it.

Quote:
What these other cities lack is the potential to find these great designers.Thats why we have TV Shows like Americas Next Top Model, Top Design, The Fashion Show, and Project Runway, Which are all in NYC
Americas next top model is to you enough to be important in the fashion industry ! so if the models are important, you have to know the biggest and most important model agency are based in Paris and not in NY.
As for the others.... the day these shows will be very well know in the world, then maybe it will become important in the fashion industry, for the moment, your TV shows represents nothing excepted entertaining.

BTW, there are a lot of shows in France and Italy (I guess they are the same)

Quote:
Also arent the most important fashion magazines made in NY.
I guess you are talking about vogue ? because I don't know the others, but maybe you are a little bit self centered about america to know there are plenty of fashion magazines all around the world and some of the most important are also based in Paris and London....

Quote:
Your statement about it being an American and it being an American city is very simple. You assume that these people are using favoritism. Thats the answer everybody uses when things dont seem to go their way. "Oh he choose that guy because they were friends".
no, Its just something I wanted to underline, not really a poit, my point was the way how this ranking is made... it's laughable.

Quote:
Look lets just say there tie because if they were any better than the next, these cities wouldnt be called the BIG FOUR in Fashion.
maybe you should read my post..... first sentence. Anyway, your first point was since NY was the first to present the fasion week it meant NY was the most important fashion city

WRONG : among the big four, NY is the less important that's the reason why NY is the first one to present its fashion week

your second point was since Global Language Monitor said NY was the most cited by the media it meant NY was the most important fashion city

WRONG : this datas are put toghether without any sense, it's just based on an algorithm and unfortunately, this algorithm has little if anything to do with what is really happening in reality.

I'm a bit tired to talk about that, and frankly I don't care, it is just so funny to hear NY is the most important fashion industry without any clue about the reality. I can cite you at least 10 international brands based in Paris and Milan you have to know while NY maybe two or three.... frankly compared that with what Paris and Milan bring is very funny. Paris and Milan are far far far above NY and London, it's even not something which is supposed to be discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World