Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 04:49 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
what do you say to the jimmy wales quote 18montclair?
ROFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Finding the UKs largest websites for example, doesn't help my quest to find the largest UK-based tech companies:

Alexa - Top Sites in United Kingdom
25 Most Visited Websites in the United Kingdom June 23, 2014
1 google.co.uk-SAN FRANCISCO
2 google.com-SAN FRANCISCO
3 facebook.com-SAN FRANCISCO
4 youtube.com-SAN FRANCISCO
5 bbc.co.uk-LONDON
6 ebay.co.uk-SAN FRANCISCO
7 yahoo.com-SAN FRANCISCO
8 amazon.co.uk-SEATTLE
9 wikipedia.org-SAN FRANCISCO
10 live.com-SEATTLE
11 linkedin.com-SAN FRANCISCO
12 twitter.com-SAN FRANCISCO
13 dailymail.co.uk-LONDON
14 theguardian.com-LONDON
15 paypal.ocm-SAN FRANCISCO
16 theladbible.com-MANCHESTER
17 wordpress.com-SAN FRANCISCO
18 amazon.com-SEATTLE
19 telegraph.co.uk-LONDON
20 pinterest.com-SAN FRANCISCO
21 instagram.com-SAN FRANCISCO
22 tumblr.com-NEW YORK
23 t.co-SAN FRANCISCO
24 rightmove.co.uk
25 imdb.com-SEATTLE

But don't fret, I shall keep looking.
But I digress. Since the usually eager UK forumers are hard pressed to help me out with the names of their massive tech companies that put London at parity with the valley, I shall continue to search on my own..

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM

But in the meantime, do continue to enjoy our websites.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 AM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Ouch.
Quote:
"San Francisco is okay. San Francisco thinks it's a world class city. London is a world class city and I think for creative young people, particularly as we're moving into an era certainly in the consumer internet world - where the ideas are about the way people live their lives and interact and so forth - it's not all going to be pure mathematical hard technology. I think that vibrant open culture is the second wave and it's more about how do we connect with people.
"It's something that many Silicon Valley companies have a very hard time with because they're a bunch of guys who live in an environment where they go to work and they code all day and go home and they really don't have a sense of what's going on outside there."
Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia
Man, what an apt quote.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Man, what an apt quote.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 AM

Yeah, this might rival Austin or Raleigh but it doesn't rival Seattle or Boston, let alone Silicon Valley which is completely in another universe.

Speaking of Europe(since you need to make this a continental effort-LOL):

Quote:
Entrepreneurs picking Silicon Valley over EU, says Barroso

22/05/2014 - 17:47

Commission President Barroso. 22 May

European digital entrepreneurs are moving to Silicon Valley rather than set up their business in the EU, European Commission President José Manuel Barroso today (22 May) told delegates at the Lisbon Council’s Europe 2020 Summit.

The president of the EU executive said the reason so many Europeans were in the US tech capital was because it is a cultural environment encouraging innovation, new businesses and risk-taking...

Barroso insisted: “I was there not only with the big brands of Silicon Valley but the start-ups and the incubators of start-ups. I met so many Europeans there. One of the reasons they were there […] was precisely because of the general environment, the cultural environment in favour of innovation.”

Europe had to find out why young people are “attracted to other more dynamic places” for their careers, he said.

Europe has often struggled with comparisons to Silicon Valley. Entrepreneurs and their investors have cited the availability of finance, the willingness to fail and take risks as the world-renowned hub’s advantages over Europe...
Entrepreneurs picking Silicon Valley over EU, says Barroso | EurActiv

And this was a statement made just 4 weeks ago, so

Anyhow, I've been trying to find something about London that is similar to this:

IDC forecasts 1.2 billion smartphone shipments in 2014; Android to remain market leader - Tech2

Android(by Google) and Apple iOS global market penetration of SmartPhone Operating systems: 95.0%

So out of 1.2 billion smartphones shipped this year, 1.140 billion are run by Silicon Valley operating systems.

Which one is your phone running on?

LOL

Anyway, my quest to find the ways in which London innovation 'rivals' Silicon Valley forges ahead...

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM

But I can see why you'd want desperately to be Silicon Valley, it can be very lucrative.

Average Weekly Wage, 2013 Top 4 US Counties
San Mateo, California $2,724-SILICON VALLEY
New York(Manhattan), New York $2,041
Santa Clara, California $1,972-SILICON VALLEY
San Francisco, California $1,753-SILICON VALLEY

London £658 = $993
Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, 2013 Provisional Results - ONS

British Pound to US Dollar (GBP USD) for 31 May 2013 (31/05/2013)

County Employment and Wages Summary

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Yawns. Another European Telecom giant has just signed the biggest office lease in Santa Clara so far this year...

Ericcson office lease closes in Santa Clara - Silicon Valley Business Journal

Quote:
done deal.

The Swedish telecom giant has agreed to lease 410,000 square feet at Irvine Company's under-construction Santa Clara Square office campus, making it the largest high-end office lease so far this year in Silicon Valley and one of the biggest deals in a speculatively built project in the past couple of years.

For Ericsson, the deal represents a consolidation and expansion into a campus that could house roughly 2,000 workers. It is also something of an image upgrade as the company seeks a higher profile in Silicon Valley...
A rendering of their campus currently under construction:
http://santaclaraca.gov/Modules/Show...x?imageid=6458
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World