U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

10,441 posts, read 10,310,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
From a "book" learning perspective, it is quite easy for a foreigner to know more about a country than a native...from a "street" or "on the ground' perspective, the native usually knows more.
Example, a foreigner might be able to do a lecture on the beginnings of hip hop. A Bronx native would be able to tell you what was hot on the street at the time and how people really reacted to this new music.
This right here.

From my own experience, I know hell of a lot regarding Russian history, more so than about any Russian I ever encountered. However, it took living there and being around relatives, etc, to know the little, unwritten things about daily life there and how people conduct themselves for any given event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

5,374 posts, read 5,242,752 times
Humans are always subjective too. The locals usually love their culture, language, and history even if they say otherwise. Outsiders will never have the same feeling. Good or bad.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

12,148 posts, read 10,901,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
It really depends. I think a native may always beat an outsider on the "ground level" or how day-to-day life is carried on. However, I think it's more of a class thing than local/foreigner. A poor working class stiff with a marginal education who barely leaves his neighborhood might not have the same grasp of the big picture as say a foreign diplomat who conducts business in all of the country's major cities and has, as a job requirement, the responsibility to know the political system and the customs and culture of their host nation.
I agree with your assessment here.
It all depends what kind of "foreigner" and what kind of "native" we are talking about...

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

5,374 posts, read 5,242,752 times
Language barrier is a big issue.

For example, many educated Russians can read articles from English media, but very few educated Americans can read Russian. As a result, Americans are often fed with western perspectives only, no matter it is "liberal" or "conservative".

In China the barrier is bilateral. In terms of ratio, very few educated Chinese are fluent in English and vice versa.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

1,837 posts, read 822,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China the barrier is bilateral. In terms of ratio, very few educated Chinese are fluent in English and vice versa.
In a sense a double language barrier-not only are the spoken languages unrelated, but the writing systems are completely different.

Beyond the language barrier-cultures having completely different roots.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 822,437 times
How well does an outsider know the cultural DNA of another nation? For example, the junta in Argentina seems to have under estimated the determination of the British to fight if attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World