U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 16,830,554 times
Reputation: 11103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Stalin was a liberal also.
How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,303 posts, read 1,562,674 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How?
he was a communist, communism is a form of liberalism. Hitler was a Fascist which is a form of conservatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,664 posts, read 2,004,811 times
Reputation: 4942
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yet you don't hear western countries criticizing Saudi Arabia much. The tone is rather positive. When exactly the same thing happens in Russia or China, the media coverage and tone would be completely different (all about authoritarian, dictatorship etc).
I'd bet my farm ( IF I HAD ONE) that Trump envies this newly anointed leader of Saudi Arabia!! Difference is Trump is POTUS of a "Democratic " Country that has a constitution with checks and balances!!

Meanwhile, I heard a rather educated pundit who understand what this newly appointed LEADER of Saudi.. and agrees on one principle.. HOWEVER, WORRIES he is alienating far too many and can never win such a WAR!!

Must remember, Saudi Arabia is NOT a democracy.. But young Prince/King Salman is attempting to bring it into 21st Century, He sure is bringing down the HAMMAR!!! Yikes!! What out for the fallout within!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 05:17 PM
 
280 posts, read 71,989 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
he was a communist, communism is a form of liberalism. Hitler was a Fascist which is a form of conservatism.
Nonsense. Hitler and Stalin were both essentially dictators and statists. Hitler was a Nazi (National Socialist). He and Stalin were rivals espousing approximately equivalent ideologies, with Stalin a more extreme statist, and Hitler a more extreme racist. Stalin was trying to catch up with Hitler, but died before he managed to do it.

Calling Hitler a conservative is as sure a sign of Communist beliefs as use of the Hegelian word "dialectic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 05:28 PM
 
1,819 posts, read 577,161 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I certainly hope a civil war in Saudi Arabia and the collapse of this country eventually.

Iran is 10 times more tolerant, peaceful and moderate than Saudi Arabia, yet the US and the west can't stop antagonizing it.
Nope, Iran is nearly just as bad as Saudi Arabia. They are both theocracies that function on very similar principles and in many ways are doppelgängers. The big difference is that one is Sunni while the other is Shia.

Let’s look at a few ways in which they are similar. Both countries segregate sexes as much as possible in public spaces. Both enforce strict religious observance. Both engage in mass censorship. Both restrict the consumption of alcohol. Both carry public executions. Both hold the death penalty for homosexuals.

Iran has on a number of occasions intervened globally as well. It supported Bosnian Muslims in the 90’s, it carried out political assassinations, it backed the attack on the Jewish centre in Buenos Aires. It funds Hezbollah.

Why does Iran keep antagonizing Israel? Why does it keep threatening to wipe it off the map?

Iran is about 90-95% as bad as SA. The only thing I agree with is that the West should stop supporting SA, but that doesn’t make Iran moderate. There is only one moderate country in the ME as this stage and that Israel (perhaps Turkey).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,441 posts, read 4,435,210 times
Reputation: 4141
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I certainly hope a civil war in Saudi Arabia and the collapse of this country eventually.
I certainly hope for a civil war in China and the collapse of this country, and you know eventually it’s probably gonna happen given China’s long history of civil wars, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 16,830,554 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
he was a communist, communism is a form of liberalism. Hitler was a Fascist which is a form of conservatism.
Lol. Communism has definitely not anything to do with liberalism. Both fascism and communism are totalitarian ideas. Does "dictatorship of the proletariat" sound liberal to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 03:31 AM
 
2,014 posts, read 1,272,509 times
Reputation: 1208
In ideal circumstances their next king may turn SA into world power against western powers/russia. Not saying it could do it alone but it may be one of several countries to do so. I knew a guy in dubai who really hated their current king and hoped for better successor...this one possibly seems good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 AM
 
4,228 posts, read 1,644,888 times
Reputation: 4273
The Soviet Union was not "communist" that's just a label, a bullet word. It was an authoritarian system with State Capiitalism as its mechanism governing. It was very like a corporation in nature.

Many ME states were and are this way, there's a lot of religion mixed in too which complicates the whole thing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM
 
4,228 posts, read 1,644,888 times
Reputation: 4273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Nope, Iran is nearly just as bad as Saudi Arabia. They are both theocracies that function on very similar principles and in many ways are doppelgängers. The big difference is that one is Sunni while the other is Shia.

Let’s look at a few ways in which they are similar. Both countries segregate sexes as much as possible in public spaces. Both enforce strict religious observance. Both engage in mass censorship. Both restrict the consumption of alcohol. Both carry public executions. Both hold the death penalty for homosexuals.

Iran has on a number of occasions intervened globally as well. It supported Bosnian Muslims in the 90’s, it carried out political assassinations, it backed the attack on the Jewish centre in Buenos Aires. It funds Hezbollah.

Why does Iran keep antagonizing Israel? Why does it keep threatening to wipe it off the map?

Iran is about 90-95% as bad as SA. The only thing I agree with is that the West should stop supporting SA, but that doesn’t make Iran moderate. There is only one moderate country in the ME as this stage and that Israel (perhaps Turkey).
I recently had the pleasure to talk with a woman who was of Egyptian heritage who grew up in the west. She was in her 70s and worked in various countries for the US government. Her last assignment was working in Baghdad in 2005 and it was her job to assess the "civil disposition" of Iraqi society. She actually spent time with Iraqi citizens assessing how they felt out in the street. She told me Iran and Shias are for the most part worse than the Saudis when it comes to rule. She also said that every country over there is incredibly corrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top