U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city names (up to 3) do you like the best?
Tokyo 7 24.14%
Sao Paulo 9 31.03%
Jakarta 8 27.59%
Seoul 3 10.34%
Manila 6 20.69%
New York 6 20.69%
Shanghai 8 27.59%
Mumbai 3 10.34%
Cairo 5 17.24%
Delhi 4 13.79%
Mexico City 1 3.45%
Beijing 3 10.34%
Guangzhou 1 3.45%
Bengaluru 2 6.90%
Dhaka 4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2017, 11:58 AM
 
Location: NO
4,720 posts, read 4,912,488 times
Reputation: 3522

Advertisements

Kuala Lumpur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Status: "RUSSIA 2018 WORLD CHAMPIONS" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,585 posts, read 4,525,184 times
Reputation: 3666
I like Jakarta, Manila, and New York the most. Mumbai and Dhaka are the ugliest names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 08:47 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,413 posts, read 1,420,365 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I like Jakarta, Manila, and New York the most. Mumbai and Dhaka are the ugliest names
Manila and Dhaka remind me strange things...
"Manilha" is the Portuguese word for "shackle". And Dhaka reminds me of Dako, a defunct brazilian brand of kitchen stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,413 posts, read 1,420,365 times
Reputation: 948
I don't like the city names in Latin America.
"Mexico City"... could somewhat be more boring than this? Think Paris being called "France City". The older name, "Tenochtitlán", was much more interesting.

"Panamá City", "Guatemala City", "Belize City": same of Mexico City.

"São Paulo"... nothing more than "Saint Paul". Brazilian cities in the colonial times were founded often following the scheme "Saint Foo of Bar", or "Our Lady of Foo and Bar". SP and Rio were not different. São Paulo was originally called "São Paulo de Piratininga", while Rio was "São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro" and Salvador was nothing less than "São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos" (The Holy Saviour of The Bay of All Saints) - "Bahia" was later used for naming the state. São Paulo could be shortened to Piratininga. Which is also still boring if you speak Tupi, because this word stands for "dry fish".

"San José", "Santiago" (Saint Joseph, Saint James): same of São Paulo, cities named after a saint.

"Buenos Aires": "Good Airs". More funny than boring.

"Caracas": it's an euphemism for a profanity in Portuguese and, I guess, also in Spanish.

"Lima": in Portuguese, is the name of a variety of orange and a surname almost as common as "Smith" in english-speaking countries.

"Cochabamba": I prefer not even to say what this word sounds like in Portuguese.

"Sucre": stands for sugar, in French. A good name for a city with economy based on sugarcane, or where people is extremely polite ("sweetheart"), or where all its inhabitants suffer of diabetes, or something like this.

"Quito": a phantom city, which all its inhabitants had to QUIT, because it had a lot of mosQUITOes.

The only major city in Latin America with a really good sounding name is "Montevideo", with "Tegucigalpa" and "Guayaquil" coming after.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 11-16-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
18,561 posts, read 22,877,930 times
Reputation: 7306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post

"Cochabamba": I prefer not even to say what this word sounds like in Portuguese.

.

I've always liked this one. (I have no idea what it sounds like in Portuguese.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:31 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,413 posts, read 1,420,365 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've always liked this one. (I have no idea what it sounds like in Portuguese.)
Okay, I'll tell. It sounds like "floppy thighs", in a malicious way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Raccoon City
799 posts, read 924,818 times
Reputation: 1251
^^Yes, I agree. I wish Mexico City was still Tenochtitlán. Mexico City doesn't do that great city justice. Mesoamerica had great names: Chichen Itza, Tikal, Teotihuacan, Tlaxcala, etc.

From the list, I would say Tokyo, Seoul, Cairo, & Jakarta sound cool. Others I like: Rio de Janeiro, Yangon (like the translation: "The End of Strife"), Paris, Chicago, Algiers, Madrid, London & Xi'an.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 PM
Status: "RUSSIA 2018 WORLD CHAMPIONS" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,585 posts, read 4,525,184 times
Reputation: 3666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't like the city names in Latin America.
"Mexico City"... could somewhat be more boring than this? Think Paris being called "France City". The older name, "Tenochtitlán", was much more interesting.

"Panamá City", "Guatemala City", "Belize City": same of Mexico City.

"São Paulo"... nothing more than "Saint Paul". Brazilian cities in the colonial times were founded often following the scheme "Saint Foo of Bar", or "Our Lady of Foo and Bar". SP and Rio were not different. São Paulo was originally called "São Paulo de Piratininga", while Rio was "São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro" and Salvador was nothing less than "São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos" (The Holy Saviour of The Bay of All Saints) - "Bahia" was later used for naming the state. São Paulo could be shortened to Piratininga. Which is also still boring if you speak Tupi, because this word stands for "dry fish".

"San José", "Santiago" (Saint Joseph, Saint James): same of São Paulo, cities named after a saint.

"Buenos Aires": "Good Airs". More funny than boring.

"Caracas": it's an euphemism for a profanity in Portuguese and, I guess, also in Spanish.

"Lima": in Portuguese, is the name of a variety of orange and a surname almost as common as "Smith" in english-speaking countries.

"Cochabamba": I prefer not even to say what this word sounds like in Portuguese.

"Sucre": stands for sugar, in French. A good name for a city with economy based on sugarcane, or where people is extremely polite ("sweetheart"), or where all its inhabitants suffer of diabetes, or something like this.

"Quito": a phantom city, which all its inhabitants had to QUIT, because it had a lot of mosQUITOes.

The only major city in Latin America with a really good sounding name is "Montevideo", with "Tegucigalpa" and "Guayaquil" coming after.
Are you kidding, I love many of the names in Latin American cities, aside from the boring ones like MX or Sao Paulo


Here are some good ones:

- Buenos Aires
- Valparaiso
- Maracaibo
- Florianopolis
- Belo Horizonte
- Porto Alegre
- Rio de Janeiro
- Arequipa
- Montevideo
- Guayaquil
- Ushuaia
- Lima
- Piura
- Fortaleza
- Aracaju
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Sumner County,Tn
537 posts, read 410,704 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Cairo! Nice name. Manila, sounds like Ice Cream, All Sao Paulo is, translated into English is St. Paul, Tokyo is pretty cool, Like Beijing also, has a nice ring too it Shanghai and New York are ok, Seoul reminds me of it

Mumbai is a Hideous name, I like it's old name ( Bombay) much better. Jakarta is ugly, doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, Delhi remains me of a Subway Sandwich, or some lunch mwar6 you have

Oh Dear Lord, I think I was Drunk and Fell Asleep while writing this Post. Let Me Correct My Self, I'm Sober Now Lol.

Cairo! Nice name. Manila, sounds like Ice Cream, All Sao Paulo is, translated into English is St. Paul, Tokyo is pretty cool, Like Beijing also, has a nice ring too it Shanghai and New York are ok, Seoul reminds of Soul, Like a Human Soul, Or the Slang Term You've Got Soul

Mumbai is a Hideous name, I like it's old name ( Bombay) much better. Jakarta is ugly, doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, Delhi remains me of a Subway Sandwich, or so type of Lunch Meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM
 
66 posts, read 20,281 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Oh Dear Lord, I think I was Drunk and Fell Asleep while writing this Post. Let Me Correct My Self, I'm Sober Now Lol.

Cairo! Nice name. Manila, sounds like Ice Cream, All Sao Paulo is, translated into English is St. Paul, Tokyo is pretty cool, Like Beijing also, has a nice ring too it Shanghai and New York are ok, Seoul reminds of Soul, Like a Human Soul, Or the Slang Term You've Got Soul

Mumbai is a Hideous name, I like it's old name ( Bombay) much better. Jakarta is ugly, doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, Delhi remains me of a Subway Sandwich, or so type of Lunch Meat
Jakarta is ugly for you but not necessarily for others

Jakarta one nice is sound of the most . I personally love the name of the city of "Washington, D.C." so cool and sound really stunning !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top