U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:24 PM

9,118 posts, read 6,311,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thanks for setting me straight.
LOL...I hope it wasn't harsh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 PM

18,532 posts, read 22,827,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL...I hope it wasn't harsh
Ben non...

Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 PM
BMI

5,196 posts, read 2,714,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Incorrect.

Before Vancouver was incorporated in 1886, it's name was Granville.

Gastown, got it's name when because of Gassy Jack, a bar owner with a lot of hot air for conversation.

Gastown, as far as I know, wasn't used back then, but was created when they redeveloped the area in the 1970's. Just like all the other " towns " Vancouver has made up over the years...Yaletown, Railtown, Crosstown. None of these names existed until development.
And I thought it was that “gassy” steam clock everyone in Gastown takes pictures of

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
And I thought it was that “gassy” steam clock everyone in Gastown takes pictures of
That silly clock. Too many tourists think it's 19th century when in fact it was built in the 1970's. Oh, well, one day it will be old.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,096,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Vancouver, Washington....needs to change it’s name.....change it to Columbia,
or North Portland.

Only room for one Vancouver.......Vancouver, BC
I heard that Vancouver wants to change it's name back to Fort Vancouver. Also Fort Vancouver was established in 1824, way older than the Canadian copycat. It was originally a settlement called Gastown centered around a Tavern built in 1867. It was then surveyed for a town site and renamed to Granville in 1870. Then it was finally called Vancouver in 1886 when it was incorporated as a city. And Fort Vancouver was incorporated as a city in 1857. However Vancouver, WA was briefly known as Columbia City between 1855-1857.

The Chinookan and Klickitat names for the area (Vancouver, WA) were reportedly Skit-so-to-ho and Ala-si-kas, respectively, meaning "land of the mud-turtles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancou...ington#History

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,096,739 times
Seattle's original name was Duwamps, though there was a competing settlement in west Seattle known as New York Alkie, but was latter abandoned. Duwamps was latter changed and named after Chief Si'ahl but was anglicized into Seattle.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

15,846 posts, read 19,804,356 times
As I mentioned, San Francisco's original name was Yerba Buena which in turn was taken from the name of a common native herb found in the area.

Contrary to what many believe, the bay was given the name San Francisco first. Yerba Buena would eventually have it's name changed and named after the bay. Today, just to the east of San Francisco in the bay is Yerba Buena Island which the Bay Bridge tunnels through.

Old Today, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I heard that Vancouver wants to change it's name back to Fort Vancouver. Also Fort Vancouver was established in 1824, way older than the Canadian copycat. It was originally a settlement called Gastown centered around a Tavern built in 1867. It was then surveyed for a town site and renamed to Granville in 1870. Then it was finally called Vancouver in 1886 when it was incorporated as a city. And Fort Vancouver was incorporated as a city in 1857. However Vancouver, WA was briefly known as Columbia City between 1855-1857.

The Chinookan and Klickitat names for the area (Vancouver, WA) were reportedly Skit-so-to-ho and Ala-si-kas, respectively, meaning "land of the mud-turtles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancou...ington#History
Re my earlier post. Gastown was a nickname, and not an official name.

If we go back far enough, the first European type settlement in the Vancouver was Fort Langley in 1827. Two dozen men including 2 Hawaiians. Como and Peeohpeeoh helped establish it. They all worked for the Hudson's Bay company, and the 2 Hawaiians had worked at Fort Vancouver, and returned there after 13 years in Fort Langley.

As for name changes...Vancouver Island was called both that and Quadra Island ( there is another Quadra Island today) as far back as the late 1790's.

Having Vancouver Island, Vancouver, BC, and Vancouver Washington can get confusing. I know tourists here often call Vancouver Island, Victoria Island in error.

Last edited by Natnasci; Today at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World