U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following Middle Income/Middle sized countries would you consider living in?
Indonesia 5 19.23%
Ukraine 8 30.77%
Egypt 1 3.85%
Colombia 9 34.62%
South Africa 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:48 PM

681 posts, read 183,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ I hope so! I may be wrong...only know the Arab league boycots it and it's difficult for say Lebanon.
Most of the Arab League. Egypt and Jordan are the exceptions as they both have border crossings with Israel but Lebanon doesnt. Im not sure which country will let you travel there if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport since they each country has its own policy. Some bar anyone with a stamp, while others even if they dont recognise Israel will still accept a foreign passport with a stamp.

If you do plan on traveling there, make sure you check these things out beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:19 PM

1,784 posts, read 769,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Egypt is against homosexuality and is generally homophobic. So my life will be living hell there.
Unfortunately this is true and things seem to be getting progressively worse on this issue.

Quote:
Indonesia is also very Islamic, but also a horrible country when it comes to its climate (hot and humid all year round).
Not necessarily. There are cities like Malang and Bandung which aren't as unbearable; 23-24C averages.

Quote:
South Africa has a high murder rate. But are there a few cities that are very safe in contrast to the others?
South Africa has had issues with increased homicide rates but many cities are still very liveable whilst taking the right precautions.

Quote:
Columbia has a lot of crime, such as drug abuse and kidnappings.
This may shock you but more drug abuse and kidnappings happen in Australia than they do in Colombia. Colombia is not a big consumer country. It was also nominated "Best Emerging LGBT destination" for 2017 and has the biggest gay club in Latin America with 10,000 people capacity called Theatron, gay marriage and adoption is also legal - something not even Australia has. You should read this trip report from a British dude to get a current view of Colombia https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi....html#77867507

Quote:
So I guess I'm left with Ukraine. Which isn't that bad - Kiev is relatively safe. The Crimean region is the war-torn one.
You mentioned you were gay right, you may have big issues here too.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 11-08-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 AM

532 posts, read 389,610 times
Egypt and Indonesia are too hostiles with non-muslims and homosexuals. That's enough for me to not live in these countries.

Between Ukraine, South Africa and Colombia i prefer Colombia because of the latin culture, diversity of climates, good beaches, great large cities with almost everything you need. Violence is a problem but the murder rate is dropping, LGBT rights are advancing.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 AM

4,358 posts, read 6,633,471 times
Colombia, most likely in Medellin.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 AM

333 posts, read 97,990 times
Colombia and Ukraine, in the other ones you might be killed for being a white or non-muslim.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 AM

1,847 posts, read 1,050,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Colombia and Ukraine, in the other ones you might be killed for being a white or non-muslim.
There is 0% chance of getting killed in Eastern Ukraine or some parts of Medelin. But hey..."white christian women". It must be worth it.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 AM

10,556 posts, read 4,509,278 times
Colombia and Indonesia the top two by far. Not sure which one is better. Indonesia is safer and has more history (not that Colombia is lacking in that department), but I'm afraid of religious extremism there. Colombia does seem to have too much crime for my liking, but if you live in a middle class area you can probably avoid that. Bogota or Medellin are no worse than Chicago. Ukraine is nice but Im not sure that my nationality will be liked there lol, and the salaries there are much lower than in Colombia or Indonesia. Egypt? Hell no! South Africa? Nope

Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM

10,556 posts, read 4,509,278 times
Quote:
Egypt is against homosexuality and is generally homophobic. So my life will be living hell there.

Indonesia is also very Islamic, but also a horrible country when it comes to its climate (hot and humid all year round).

South Africa has a high murder rate. But are there a few cities that are very safe in contrast to the others?

Columbia has a lot of crime, such as drug abuse and kidnappings.

So I guess I'm left with Ukraine. Which isn't that bad - Kiev is relatively safe. The Crimean region is the war-torn one.
1. Crimea is not war-torn, it was a bloodless revolution. The region you're thinking about is Donetsk and the surrounding areas on the Russian border

2. It's Colombia

3. It still has a lot of crime, but this isn't the 90s anymore, the chances of you getting kidnapped in Colombia are virtually nil. They had 200 kidnappings last year for a country of 50 million, the chance of you being the unlucky one is 1 in 250,000.

4. Never been to Indonesia so can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure it's not the Sharia hellhole you're describing, at least not in the big cities.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 AM

1,784 posts, read 769,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
3. It still has a lot of crime, but this isn't the 90s anymore, the chances of you getting kidnapped in Colombia are virtually nil. They had 200 kidnappings last year for a country of 50 million, the chance of you being the unlucky one is 1 in 250,000.
Conversely Australia had 550 kidnappings in 2014 for a country of 24 million. No-where near Colombia's all time high of 3,572 in the year 2000 none-the-less Australia currently has a higher kidnap rate than Colombia - more than twice as much in fact.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 PM

9,780 posts, read 5,733,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Not necessarily. There are cities like Malang and Bandung which aren't as unbearable; 23-24C averages.
I know that Indonesia and even Malaysia have cooler highland climates (like Brinchang, which is rather pleasant). But the cities you provided, for me, are still really humid. They're like an endless, muggier Sydney summer.

Quote:
South Africa has had issues with increased homicide rates but many cities are still very liveable whilst taking the right precautions.
South Africa has the best climate in the world and really stunning geography. Sad that its living conditions don't live up to its climate. It's nice to know that a few places there are rather livable. And I really hope that South Africa improves and becomes far more prosperous.

Quote:
This may shock you but more drug abuse and kidnappings happen in Australia than they do in Colombia. Colombia is not a big consumer country. It was also nominated "Best Emerging LGBT destination" for 2017 and has the biggest gay club in Latin America with 10,000 people capacity called Theatron, gay marriage and adoption is also legal - something not even Australia has. You should read this trip report from a British dude to get a current view of Colombia https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi....html#77867507
It's true that we have issues with drug abuses. But kidnappings don't seem too common. At least, they don't involve organized crime and ransoms ("we have your mother, give us 100K or she gets it in the head"). Kidnappings in here usually involve 'sick' cases where young women are raped and killed. There is no motif or goal. But they're not that common. That's why, when they occur, the victims get "famous". Such as the Jill Meagher case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jill_Meagher

Other cases of kidnapping tend to involve victims that are snatched by their (estranged) relatives.

Thanks for the enlightenment, anyway. I mean, I was aware that Colombia is safe for South American standards. But I guess I may have still pigeon-holed with it with Brazil and Venezuela.

Quote:
You mentioned you were gay right, you may have big issues here too.
I know that Ukraine is a bit too Orthodox and religious. But I will still choose it over, say, the Middle East (excluding Israel and maybe perhaps Lebanon) and Indonesia.

Anyhow, after reading your points I guess I will have to go with Colombia. Also, it seems really nice from pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
1. Crimea is not war-torn, it was a bloodless revolution. The region you're thinking about is Donetsk and the surrounding areas on the Russian border
Thanks for the correction. Maybe it's because I always hear "Crimea" in the news than "Donetsk". Lol. I haven't followed the Eastern Ukraine vs Russia thing much anyway. But I am aware at least aware that they both have unsafe regions due to the conflict.

Quote:
2. It's Colombia
I know. I always confuse the two. Don't blame me. It's just one letter (U and O) and don't they mean the same thing?

Quote:
This is good news. Again, I was thinking of it as "another Latin American country", if a slightly improved one. Glad that Colombia has improved.

What about the murder rate though?

Quote:
4. Never been to Indonesia so can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure it's not the Sharia hellhole you're describing, at least not in the big cities.
I'm not quite sure either. But according to Wikipedia, Aceh and Jakarta have had raids on gay gatherings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r...ing_conditions

Indonesia may not be Iran or Saudi Arabia for gays, but it does sound really dreadful.

Last edited by Ethereal; 11-09-2017 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World