U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of the following Middle Income/Middle sized countries would you consider living in?
Indonesia 8 16.00%
Ukraine 13 26.00%
Egypt 3 6.00%
Colombia 16 32.00%
South Africa 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 PM
 
Location: London, UK
1,840 posts, read 810,000 times
Reputation: 943

Advertisements

Surprised not many people willing to give South Africa a go. For me its perhaps amongst the most attractive options. I know a couple of people from the UK of varying nationalities that have gone to live in South Africa.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
1,612 posts, read 660,609 times
Reputation: 3163
The Ukraine would be #1. There's great farmland that's underutilized. Bringing modern agriculture to the region would give a great economic opportunities. There's trouble in the south, and Russia's a problem, but all sides tend to agree economic development is good and not to kill the golden goose.

Indonesia would be #2. I'm not Muslim, so this is a detraction, but there are lots of mini-groups within the island and there's plenty of trade.

Egypt would be #3. I've little love for the desert, but the Mediterranean would be a great climate to be in. I'd have to bring my own money though.

I would be scared for my well being in S. Africa (apartheid and crazy President) or Columbia (civil war and kidnappings). There's just no economic possibility to offset the risk involved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Washington State
12,192 posts, read 6,217,066 times
Reputation: 11076
definitely not S. Africa or Egypt. I said Indonesia and I would specifically consider Bali there. I've heard Columbia is getting better so I would consider it in the right circumstance. Ukraine I would probably consider under the right circumstance as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 02:59 AM
 
374 posts, read 118,953 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Surprised not many people willing to give South Africa a go. For me its perhaps amongst the most attractive options. I know a couple of people from the UK of varying nationalities that have gone to live in South Africa.
I know some people born in South Africa that can't wait to leave this country behind for good. South Africa will follow the footsteps of Zimbabwe, the worst is still ahead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:39 AM
 
517 posts, read 291,243 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The Ukraine would be #1. There's great farmland that's underutilized. Bringing modern agriculture to the region would give a great economic opportunities. There's trouble in the south, and Russia's a problem, but all sides tend to agree economic development is good and not to kill the golden goose.

Indonesia would be #2. I'm not Muslim, so this is a detraction, but there are lots of mini-groups within the island and there's plenty of trade.

Egypt would be #3. I've little love for the desert, but the Mediterranean would be a great climate to be in. I'd have to bring my own money though.

I would be scared for my well being in S. Africa (apartheid and crazy President) or Columbia (civil war and kidnappings). There's just no economic possibility to offset the risk involved.
not very logical post. Civil war in Colombia mainly ocurs in fairly remote, sparsely populated areas, and right now both Farc and ELN are inactive (Farc demobilised, ELN on ceasefire).

One third of Ukraine is or was under civil war and it affected several of the main cities and urban areas of the country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 04:09 PM
 
671 posts, read 1,003,667 times
Reputation: 347
Colombia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Status: "SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,660 posts, read 4,629,600 times
Reputation: 3716
To those who mark off Colombia for safety reasons. They had 200 kidnappings last year for a country of 50 million, the chances of you being kidnapped especially as a tourist visiting developed big cities, is very very very very very very low. Bogota has a murder rate of 14/100k, obviously not good, but lower than Philadelphia, Chicago, or Miami. If you're not scared of Philly or Chicago, Bogota shouldn't scare you either. Colombia has problems still, but don't confuse 2017 Colombia with the 1987 version that still exists in movies and TV shows
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 02:21 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
1,612 posts, read 660,609 times
Reputation: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
not very logical post. Civil war in Colombia mainly ocurs in fairly remote, sparsely populated areas, and right now both Farc and ELN are inactive (Farc demobilised, ELN on ceasefire).

One third of Ukraine is or was under civil war and it affected several of the main cities and urban areas of the country.
Yeah, but if I'm going to the Ukraine, it's to farm. Build the most productive farm around, you don't need to care about what color of flag flies over the post office.

People get kidnapped in Columbia. The main cash crop there is something I don't want to be anywhere near and narcos are ruthless. There's growing tech in the region, which is promising, as is the free trade commitment, but Oil is still king there, and I'm not an oilman.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 11:03 AM
 
517 posts, read 291,243 times
Reputation: 257
"People get kidnapped in Columbia."

No they don't. See above posts. And the risk of kidnapping is zero in many areas, especially the most densely populated.

Quote:
The main cash crop there is something I don't want to be anywhere near and narcos are ruthless.
Coffee, banana, sugarcane, cocoa? These are the main crops in Colombia. Not sure why you woulddn't want to be near them.

Coca is cultivated by dozens of different indigenous groups in Colombia, they have been cultivating it for centuries and the plant has many uses. Coca farm for illicit use are located in remote areas where foreigners usually don't go, and it's just a crop, of course you can be "near them". Some farmer cultivates it for a few months, at some point someone comes and buy the "pasta", and that's all.

Last edited by joacocanal; 11-29-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: In the heights
16,911 posts, read 19,128,233 times
Reputation: 8344
This would have to be based on under what conditions I'd be living under in each country (my occupation, where it is, what the hours are, what the payment and benefits are, etc.). Roughly speaking in preference, I'd say:

Colombia
Indonesia
Ukraine
Egypt
South Africa

There's under some conditions which I'd live in any of these. These countries are all quite large and there's a lot of variance among regions within these countries which is why the context is probably the most important part of deciding among these rather than larger generalizations of the country.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top