Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following Middle Income/Middle sized countries would you consider living in?
Indonesia 9 15.00%
Ukraine 15 25.00%
Egypt 3 5.00%
Colombia 22 36.67%
South Africa 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM

376 posts, read 328,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

Egypt would be #3. I've little love for the desert, but the Mediterranean would be a great climate to be in. I'd have to bring my own money though.
If you'd be scared of Colombia or S. Africa, you need to seriously rethink Egypt. Egypt is a mess right now, fighters bringing guns and bombs are streaming unchecked across the Libyan border, the northern Sinai is in a open state of revolt, terrorism is rampant, and Sisi is a dictator executing whoever he wants and spending vast sums on the military while the average Egyptian works for peanuts.

Not only is Egypt a mess, it's getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:06 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,866,598 times
1. S Africa
2. Indonesia
3. Columbia
4. Egypt
5. Ukraine

Ukraine has some positives, but I don’t particularly like Ukrainian culture and I don’t like how their language sounds.

I’d live in rural S Africa or rural Indonesia. Either would be neat places to live. Egypt has some neat smaller cities, but I wouldn’t live in Cairo.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,901,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

Edit: SA, don't they hate whites over there? Indonesia...they look like...Indonesians.
They hate South African whites over there.

White is not a monolithic identity.

Sure, they may mistake you for a South African white, but that's a different story.

Let's not forget it was a white country (Sweden) that put the most pressure on white apartheid South Africa to enter the modern world.

American white people often fall into the trap of thinking white people around the world are all linked together by a common bond. No sir they are not. You would be hard pressed to find any cultural commonality with a white South African.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:28 AM

7,611 posts, read 4,515,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
"People get kidnapped in Columbia."

No they don't. See above posts. And the risk of kidnapping is zero in many areas, especially the most densely populated.

Coffee, banana, sugarcane, cocoa? These are the main crops in Colombia. Not sure why you woulddn't want to be near them.

Coca is cultivated by dozens of different indigenous groups in Colombia, they have been cultivating it for centuries and the plant has many uses. Coca farm for illicit use are located in remote areas where foreigners usually don't go, and it's just a crop, of course you can be "near them". Some farmer cultivates it for a few months, at some point someone comes and buy the "pasta", and that's all.
I cede the point on kidnapping. Looks like it's Venuzuala now. Kidnapping is down 92% since 2000. Good job Columbia!!

https://www.red24.com/pdf/red24_Spec...spots_2017.pdf

Unfortunately, the crime of choice is now murder and corruption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Colombia

But, that's getting better too.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 AM

7,611 posts, read 4,515,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
If you'd be scared of Colombia or S. Africa, you need to seriously rethink Egypt. Egypt is a mess right now, fighters bringing guns and bombs are streaming unchecked across the Libyan border, the northern Sinai is in a open state of revolt, terrorism is rampant, and Sisi is a dictator executing whoever he wants and spending vast sums on the military while the average Egyptian works for peanuts.

Not only is Egypt a mess, it's getting worse.

Yeah, I'd be staying away from N. Sinai. To move to Egypt I'd need to be in a nice expat community lounging around Alexandria with a yacht. Definitely not my first pick though.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,475,380 times
why does title mention moddle class, but i mostly see poor countries as options?

did he mean where can he play rich man in a poorer country on middle class western budget?

Old 12-05-2017, 06:31 AM

813 posts, read 852,121 times
The title isn't wrong. These are countries of middle income in comparison with the world average income.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,674,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I cede the point on kidnapping. Looks like it's Venuzuala now. Kidnapping is down 92% since 2000. Good job Columbia!!

https://www.red24.com/pdf/red24_Spec...spots_2017.pdf

Unfortunately, the crime of choice is now murder and corruption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Colombia

But, that's getting better too.
Basically same rates as Oakland in all bar one mejor city (Cali). Would you be so opposed to living in Oakland for a while? Not to mention rates across the country keep dropping fast year on year.

Same can't be said about the States where rates are rising year on year.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:56 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,238,466 times
I vote Colombia.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,603,644 times
Colombia would be my top choice out of the options listed. I think I could feel comfortable and happy there if I found the right niche and learned Spanish fluently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World