U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following Middle Income/Middle sized countries would you consider living in?
Indonesia 8 16.00%
Ukraine 13 26.00%
Egypt 3 6.00%
Colombia 16 32.00%
South Africa 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2017, 03:42 PM

1,839 posts, read 810,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why does title mention moddle class, but i mostly see poor countries as options?

did he mean where can he play rich man in a poorer country on middle class western budget?
You need to travel more mate. Poverty exists to varying levels just as it does in the US. There are 193 countries in the world, these are middle income to above average income countries with a consolidated middle class despite social issues which may challenge that more than in the developed world.

Focus more on your reading comprehension in future.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 05:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 660,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Basically same rates as Oakland in all bar one mejor city (Cali). Would you be so opposed to living in Oakland for a while? Not to mention rates across the country keep dropping fast year on year.

Same can't be said about the States where rates are rising year on year.
Yeah Iím not living in Oakland or south central LA. If you look at San Jose population growth vs Oakland youíll see most people have made the same decision. Every country has its problem areas. I have no intention to moving to any of them.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Yeah Iím not living in Oakland or south central LA. If you look at San Jose population growth vs Oakland youíll see most people have made the same decision. Every country has its problem areas. I have no intention to moving to any of them.
Plenty of people live in Oakland and there's almost always a 1.3%+ growth year on year, many people are moving out due to rent rises. Especially African American families.

In any case your argument proves my point. Do the problems in Oakland affect you in San Jose despite proximity? My guess is no. Now take Colombia that's nearly 3 x the size of California and whose largest city has more people in its urban core than in the entire Bay Area from Santa Rosa to Gilroy. Boyaca state for example has a homicide rate on par with San Jose and its capital Tunja less even. Are the problems in Cali going to affect you 400 miles away? No they won't.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Status: "SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT" (set 14 days ago)

10,660 posts, read 4,629,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why does title mention moddle class, but i mostly see poor countries as options?

did he mean where can he play rich man in a poorer country on middle class western budget?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

Aside from maybe Ukraine all the countries he mentions are indeed the "middle class" of the world, out of 187 countries mentioned by the IMF Colombia is 85th, SA is 89th, Egypt is 91st, and Indonesia is 97th, so they are pretty in the middle by world standards. If you think they are poor countries, wait until you see Liberia, Niger, or the Congo

Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Plenty of people live in Oakland and there's almost always a 1.3%+ growth year on year, many people are moving out due to rent rises. Especially African American families.

In any case your argument proves my point. Do the problems in Oakland affect you in San Jose despite proximity? My guess is no. Now take Colombia that's nearly 3 x the size of California and whose largest city has more people in its urban core than in the entire Bay Area from Santa Rosa to Gilroy. Boyaca state for example has a homicide rate on par with San Jose and its capital Tunja less even. Are the problems in Cali going to affect you 400 miles away? No they won't.
Americans always underrate the crime happening on our own home soil especially when we compare ourselves with different countries. St Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, all of these cities have murder rates much higher than many places in Colombia. Avoiding Bogota because you think someone wants to kidnap you for the $500 you have in your bank account, but then going to Detroit to catch a Lions game, that's ridiculous

Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,962,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

Aside from maybe Ukraine all the countries he mentions are indeed the "middle class" of the world, out of 187 countries mentioned by the IMF Colombia is 85th, SA is 89th, Egypt is 91st, and Indonesia is 97th, so they are pretty in the middle by world standards. If you think they are poor countries, wait until you see Liberia, Niger, or the Congo
Thatís because the world standards are as low as it could be. All countries under 35th arenít well off. Or at least are only rich in parts. Even within the top percentiles there are some incredibly ****ed up failed states.

Besides PPP is such a load of bull.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Thatís because the world standards are as low as it could be. All countries under 35th arenít well off. Or at least are only rich in parts. Even within the top percentiles there are some incredibly ****ed up failed states.

Besides PPP is such a load of bull.
PPP is not bull, $10000 is gonna take you a lot farther in India or China than it will in the United States. You need to take PPP when talking about living conditions in different countries

Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 AM

1,611 posts, read 660,609 times
Quote:

Ahh, but with no Uber, how will I get away from the bad areas?

Ok, would it be better if I said I was afraid of all the attractive Colombian women would make my wife insanely jealous...and we all know we need a happy wife for a happy life?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Ahh, but with no Uber, how will I get away from the bad areas?

Ok, would it be better if I said I was afraid of all the attractive Colombian women would make my wife insanely jealous...and we all know we need a happy wife for a happy life?
1. Uber is highly used in Colombia 2.What Uber travels 400 miles? 3. Couldn't give a toss about your wife or home life mate, just refuting your irrational statements based on a 20-30 year old reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World