U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:14 PM

714 posts, read 172,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Beds (30% of the world's lifes are expended on it) and toilet paper
Toilet paper is relatively rare, and to much of the world, prohibitively expensive. It would 't surprise me if less than half the world uses it. Americans may spent more money on toilet paper than rural third world villagers spend on their entire family food budget.

I think the chair might bed in wider use than the bed.

Eating utensils are by no means universal. South Asia and the Middle East, food is most commonle eaten with bare hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:14 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,152,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Toilet paper is relatively rare, and to much of the world, prohibitively expensive. It would 't surprise me if less than half the world uses it. Americans may spent more money on toilet paper than rural third world villagers spend on their entire family food budget[i].
So you're saying that people don't wipe their ass after taking a **** outside of America? Don't be ridiculous.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
So you're saying that people don't wipe their ass after taking a **** outside of America? Don't be ridiculous.
I didn't say that. I said they don't buy rolls of commercially manufactured and marketed toilet paper. Have you ever heard of a bidet? Or they use various alternatives that don't cost a day's wages per roll. Like dry grass or leaves, or sand. Or like your American grandparents did, catalog pages. Or just water, which believe it or not, is the same thing you use for your Saturday night bath. They are not bound to America's tribal customs.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 AM

24,217 posts, read 15,975,883 times
Can't we just settle for my suggestion: rice.

It has to be rice, right? Or maybe wheat.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 1,325,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Can't we just settle for my suggestion: rice.

It has to be rice, right? Or maybe wheat.
For 2014 rice barely beats out wheat in total production.

rice: 741.5 million metric tons
wheat: 729.0 million metric tons

However corn (maize) beats them both, of course corn is mainly grown as animal feed, but still, way more.
corn: 1,037.8 million metric tons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staple_food

Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 AM

31,087 posts, read 47,846,919 times
Cash!
Everywhere you travel, even in some of the most remote corners of the world, the one thing that everybody knows how to use – regardless of age, gender or religion – is cash.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 AM

But rice is not consumed by more people than wheat. In fact, half of China considers wheat noodles, not rice, to be their daily staple. People in wheat-consuming countries have more varied alternatives, so their total consumption of grains does not need to depend on just wheat. So less wheat per capita, but more caplitas eating the same tonnage of wheat.

If you're talking about food, I bet more people have chicken as part of their diet, than rice. Maybe eggs, too.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 AM

31,087 posts, read 47,846,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lots of people use bidet, thing that is a foreign concept for most Americans.
Funny how we are obsessed with sanitation, yet we insist, against reason, on the least-sanitary, least-healthy option for managing our poop. People wouldn't shower with a dry towel; why do they think that dry toilet paper cleans them?

The majority of bathrooms in the U.S., including those in the fanciest hotels, lack a bidet
It is considered standard in many European countries, and in the world, especially in Asia, parts of Middle Eastern and S. America - people would find it unsettling to enter a washroom devoid of a bidet.
I installed them in my home and so did my son. But visitors are puzzled and some even asked if we use it to wash... hair, feet or clothes. Or perhaps to bathe a baby...
http://spaloo.com/bidet-culture-throughout-the-world/

BTW: my phone seems to be confused too, and try to change "bidet" to "budget"... lol

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2018 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,347,222 times
Condoms

Old 02-10-2018, 01:04 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,376,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lots of people use bidet, thing that is a foreign concept for most Americans.
Funny how we are obsessed with sanitation, yet we insist, against reason, on the least-sanitary, least-healthy option for managing our poop. People wouldn't shower with a dry towel; why do they think that dry toilet paper cleans them?

The majority of bathrooms in the U.S., including those in the fanciest hotels, lack a bidet
Here we use bidet, but always in combination with toilet paper.
And yes, bidet is one of the best inventions of humanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World