Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:28 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Saudi Arabia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 07:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Saudi Arabia
Thats what Tall was talking about, however that would require some BIG dollars for me to go there. Like retire in 2 years type money so closer to the 400-450k mark and I have heard that desperate job seekers have driven the wages WAY down so there is no reason to go some place like that.

I suppose if you were a saudi national you could just go back home but im a white guy so the pay out has to be high to endure the desert and squalid enviornment and have to be confined to a compound.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 PM

665 posts, read 612,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The article I was reading was saying that Germany (ie german companies) were having a hard time finding capable engineers and scientists and that they have drasticly relaxed immigration requirements so that german companies can recruit people outside of germany.

Now I dont know if they are simply able to recruit from neighboring switzerland or austria or where ever but the article I was reading flat out said germany was expereincing an aging work force for techncail people and the number of young people qualified to take their place is not even in the same solar system in order to keep germany on top in the EU. The older generation are rapidly retireing out as I write this post, according to the article.
Pitts, if you could provide the article that would help everyone. Alot of EU countries are experiencing the same thing. How they will address it we'll see. A lot of US companies will probably fire their older employees due to health care costs or provide them a golden parachute so they can retire earlier than they would before the reach full retirement age. Also remember the US has alot of engineering graduates from colleges so with a steady pipeline of new engineers, companies will take a newly graduated engineer with no/limited work experience with a lower pay rate than a seasoned engineer with years of experience with a higher, decent pay rate. Don't forget the H1B visa engineers having preference over experienced US engineers as well. That's how it is now.

Quote:
However, who knows if that is really true since we keep reading articles that the US needs more stem as I sit here unemployed having applied for 16 engineering jobs that I am qualified for in the last two months and nothing. On this note everyone will say yada yada yada you need to be in certian areas with ceritan niche skills ad nausium but if there were a true genuine shortage of stem people companies would be accepting people who have a strong technical back ground but who are not quite the purple squirl they are looking for and simply train them on what ever weird software they have or specific task, if they are strong techncial people they will pick it up quick. They would also be willing to do remote work or flexable schedules to acomodate people who either cant afford to live in million dollar appartmenets because the company has been there 100 years and now no one but rich people can live there etc etc.

In short if there were a true shortage I would be getting cold calls and employers would be highly flexable. But thats not happening thus there is no shortage, as the companies are obviously able to fill rolls without making these sorts of concessions.
There is an artificial shortage but you have to remember that in the US there's alot of competition and there's probably alot of older/out of work engineers. Alot of companies need people but they aren't willing to raise their pay rates. These companies would probably rather these positions sit empty and wait for another recession so all the pay rates are decreased in their favor and they can lay off their older employees. I would also be suspicious of countries where they say they need a lot of engineers too. Because if too many engineers show up to their designated country of choice that could drive down labor costs and wages for employees. As someone said in an earlier post choose company before country because the company provides the wages.

You also have to remember there's the possible (not likely) revised tax code in the US. A lot of companies especially if there are larger corporations will wait and see what happens with that. But there's so much bad stuff in the tax plan for normal workers that I doubt it goes through before the end of 2017. So companies will not hire any new employees until it gets figured if it does.

Last edited by Peasy973; 11-11-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
Pitts, if you could provide the article that would help everyone. Alot of EU countries are experiencing the same thing. How they will address it we'll see. A lot of US companies will probably fire their older employees due to health care costs or provide them a golden parachute so they can retire earlier than they would before the reach full retirement age. Also remember the US has alot of engineering graduates from colleges so with a steady pipeline of new engineers, companies will take a newly graduated engineer with no/limited work experience with a lower pay rate than a seasoned engineer with years of experience with a higher, decent pay rate. Don't forget the H1B visa engineers having preference over experienced US engineers as well. That's how it is now.

There is an artificial shortage but you have to remember that in the US there's alot of competition and there's probably alot of older/out of work engineers. Alot of companies need people but they aren't willing to raise their pay rates. These companies would probably rather these positions sit empty and wait for another recession so all the pay rates are decreased in their favor and they can lay off their older employees. I would also be suspicious of countries where they say they need a lot of engineers too. Because if too many engineers show up to their designated country of choice that could drive down labor costs and wages for employees. As someone said in an earlier post choose company before country because the company provides the wages.

You also have to remember there's the possible (not likely) revised tax code in the US. A lot of companies especially if there are larger corporations will wait and see what happens with that. But there's so much bad stuff in the tax plan for normal workers that I doubt it goes through before the end of 2017. So companies will not hire any new employees until it gets figured if it does.
Companies pay the wages but national law decides how easy it is to lay off workers.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
I put GS5 as the lowest pay accepted to see if I would get an interview and nothing.
Right now, of course the Federal Government isn’t hiring because Trump put on a hiring freeze soon after he took office. However, start applying again after the freeze gets lifted if you still want to go that route.

Also, if you happen to know someone who works for the Federal Government in the agency and field you’re interested in, then keep in close contact with them as well. Word of mouth can make all the difference. Even better if that individual actually works in hiring.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:42 PM

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...MnAnEsmA%3D%3D

Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Right now, of course the Federal Government isn’t hiring because Trump put on a hiring freeze soon after he took office. However, start applying again after the freeze gets lifted if you still want to go that route.

Also, if you happen to know someone who works for the Federal Government in the agency and field you’re interested in, then keep in close contact with them as well. Word of mouth can make all the difference. Even better if that individual actually works in hiring.
I do know one person who works for the feds though not in the depts that I have been applying for and he has a sister that used to work for the army corp. I was able to get ahold of the two hiring managers over there and they were not helpful.

I am pretty sure the freeze is lifted because they are listing a few jobs here and there and I am getting "not refered" on my usajobs page so I am guessing someone is getting refered and getting these jobs ...

The air force is tossing out a bunch of jobs but they are for resume collection only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World