U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,614,133 times

Advertisements

Sao Paulo, Rio, Bahía: all tropical and into a jungle biome but still they've some european arch. and avenues. In fact, most of southern Brazil have one of the most fake and man made environments in the world.
Shanghai: classy european avenues, yet subtropical climate with hellish summers.
Mendoza: actually located in a desert but lush and very green (man made)
Dhaka: in the middle of tropical jungle, yet still very dusty and with so few trees, so it may confuse someone as if it were in a desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM

10,847 posts, read 10,733,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Shanghai: classy european avenues, yet subtropical climate with hellish summers.
Shanghai probably has only one “classy European avenue" and that's it (there are some western architecture elsewhere in the city of course). There is very little European about this typical Chinese city.

Plus, Europe doesn't lack cities with "hellish summers" to begin with.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,614,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Shanghai probably has only one “classy European avenue" and that's it (there are some western architecture elsewhere in the city of course). There is very little European about this typical Chinese city.

Plus, Europe doesn't lack cities with "hellish summers" to begin with.
Seriously do you think that this 'londonesque' cityscape of Shanghai street image or this street image or this street image fix with Miami summers by any means??
southern european summers are way drier and the typical arch. there is much different from that of central and northern european in order to match, in fact, the hot med climate.

Last edited by marlaver; 11-14-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 01:16 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,677,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Sao Paulo, Rio, Bahía: all tropical and into a jungle biome but still they've some european arch. and avenues. In fact, most of southern Brazil have one of the most fake and man made environments in the world.
The climate of São Paulo is not properly tropical, but subtropical; although, yes, in the most recent years the summers became unusually hot.
Bahia is a state of Brazil, not a city (maybe you mean Salvador, its capital).

Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM

258 posts, read 334,408 times
Sydney and Melbourne: neither city seems to suit its sweltering hot, sometimes dry summers that approach 40 degrees celsius. They are so Victorian looking in some aspects that they'd better suit a climate more like London or New York. Paddington in Sydney looks like London, adapted for a Californian climate.

Melbourne would look exquisite covered in snow, but it isn't going to happen because of the warm climate. It's like a European city in a hot country.

In fact, a lot of Australian cities look like they should have colder winters. Even Sydney looks like it should have four distinct seasons with a cold summer. NYC is on a harbour too, just like Sydney, and it has freezing winters whereas Sydney's are only mild & sometimes cool.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,304,916 times
I think part of London charm and curse is its climate, i can't see a "hot" London, but i wish it would snow like NYC in London

Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 PM

2,607 posts, read 951,950 times
Srinagar, India, is a city of over a million where the average minimum is below freezeng five months of the year and the roads are frequently blocked by heavy snow.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 AM

155 posts, read 56,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Sydney and Melbourne: neither city seems to suit its sweltering hot, sometimes dry summers that approach 40 degrees celsius. They are so Victorian looking in some aspects that they'd better suit a climate more like London or New York. Paddington in Sydney looks like London, adapted for a Californian climate.

Melbourne would look exquisite covered in snow, but it isn't going to happen because of the warm climate. It's like a European city in a hot country.

In fact, a lot of Australian cities look like they should have colder winters. Even Sydney looks like it should have four distinct seasons with a cold summer. NYC is on a harbour too, just like Sydney, and it has freezing winters whereas Sydney's are only mild & sometimes cool.
I actually thought that Sydney would be a tropical city with palm trees and warm weather all year round (sorta like Honolulu)... and that you would find surfers walking around everywhere. But it’s not like that at all. It actually gets cold in my apartment during winter and I need the heater on.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

258 posts, read 334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I actually thought that Sydney would be a tropical city with palm trees and warm weather all year round (sorta like Honolulu)... and that you would find surfers walking around everywhere. But it’s not like that at all. It actually gets cold in my apartment during winter and I need the heater on.
It's the stereotyped image that the world has of Sydney.

But it's actually more akin to San Francisco or New York in its "vibe", than to LA or Honolulu.

Old Today, 01:09 PM

401 posts, read 281,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
It's the stereotyped image that the world has of Sydney.

But it's actually more akin to San Francisco or New York in its "vibe", than to LA or Honolulu.
That's a good thing, though. I used to wish that we didn't have to endure our winters here in Canada but now rather like the cool air and completely different landscape that winters bring. I look forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or