U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 PM

9,781 posts, read 5,723,510 times

Advertisements

What are some really nice and attractive cities that are let down or "tarnished" by their climate? Perhaps because you hate that sort of climate or you think they don't "suit" that particular city?

For me, New York City. When I look at photos of the NYC skyline and its vibrant streets, I personally imagine it to have a warmer subtropical climate or even a Mediterranean one. I just cannot picture NYC having a continental-esque climate with snow and freezing temps (yes, it's "humid subtropical" under Koppen, but people criticize the categorization). Cold and snow just doesn't "suit" it.

Btw, London's climate may not be my favourite. But the city perfectly complements its climate (and vice versa).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 03:51 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,255,530 times
Why? Many vibrant cities have cold winters.
Snow is not too rare in Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai etc.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 AM

6,167 posts, read 4,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What are some really nice and attractive cities that are let down or "tarnished" by their climate? Perhaps because you hate that sort of climate or you think they don't "suit" that particular city?

For me, New York City. When I look at photos of the NYC skyline and its vibrant streets, I personally imagine it to have a warmer subtropical climate or even a Mediterranean one. I just cannot picture NYC having a continental-esque climate with snow and freezing temps (yes, it's "humid subtropical" under Koppen, but people criticize the categorization). Cold and snow just doesn't "suit" it.

Btw, London's climate may not be my favourite. But the city perfectly complements its climate (and vice versa).

I fail to see any point you are making here, I'm not sure how a city can suit its climate, I also fail to see what difference the climate makes to either New York OR London.

Last edited by Rozenn; Today at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 AM

328 posts, read 96,966 times
Cities are built according to the needs prescribed by the climate they are in.

Oh btw, cold and snow fit NYC very well, more so than tropical heat.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:44 AM

927 posts, read 1,348,034 times
NYC's climate is pretty typical. The ones that I can't bear are those bordering on subarctic (Ulaanbaatar, Astana, Harbin) or those with hot desert climates (Dubai, Doha, Cairo). Personally, I would rather have NYC's climate rather than tropical climates. I dislike the climate of Singapore, Bangkok and Manila.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 AM

5,359 posts, read 2,286,432 times
Cities in Siberia which were not built to fight the harsh winters.

I think Bucarest was also partly destroyed and remade without any regard to the quite hot summers, compared to the old city.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:19 AM

896 posts, read 518,200 times
I seem to have opposite views to the OP.

I personally find winters in New York and Summers in London more interesting than vice versa.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:26 AM

18,532 posts, read 22,827,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I fail to see any point you are making here, I'm not sure how a city can suit its climate, I also fail to see what difference the climate makes to either New York OR London, I think you are just trolling.
I get his point. I think it's more about civic personality than built form.

I've always thought for example that Montreal with its Latin-esque looseness is an odd match for a continental climate with cold snowy winters.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:32 AM

150 posts, read 35,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

For me (granted I'm a part-time resident of NYC) my view of NYC is dark, brown/gray, and cold. Yes, in the summer it gets hot, but so do most places. Most of the year it's chilly/cold. I can't even imagine it being "tropical" not sure what media you guys are getting

Old 11-10-2017, 08:37 AM

150 posts, read 35,442 times
For me, Paris and Madrid.

Not sure which one takes me more back.

Because Paris is in France, the city of love - I want to think warm, sunny, mediterranean but in reality the climate of Paris is very similar to London. Cloudy, drizzly, etc.

Madrid is in Spain, but gets cold winters. Snow is not rare in Madrid. Something about it being in a basin.

Oh yeah, some others:

Casablanca, Morocco
Nairobi, Kenya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World