Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:49 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What is so appealing about HK? I don't get it.

Steamy/sticky hot, hideous buildings, loud, horribly polluted, no cultural sites of note, really nothing of global note. There's nothing really to do there but walk around and shop, I guess.
Have you been there in the winter? It is not hot all year. What I like is the combination of the eastern and western cultures. The public transport system is extremely efficient and it is so easy to catch the airport train and travel around independently. The high density of the built environment is side by side with all the open space.
I can assure you I am not a shopper but if you are, there is everything from designer end to the fascinating local markets. I love the harbour. Last time we got the Star ferry and revisited the peak, then took a star ferry harbour cruise. It is fun to go to some of the outer islands. The time before we went to Lantau island.
The pollution varies with the time of the year but we have come across worse in many other places.
I find the people helpful, the food is great and everything is efficient. We have been there seven times, I think, and have never been picked up late or had any issues with bookings and so on.
But each to their own and one of my favourite cities is Ottawa, which I believe is not overly fashionable as a must see destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
But each to their own and one of my favourite cities is Ottawa, which I believe is not overly fashionable as a must see destination.
OK, so this explains it. We basically have polar opposite preferences in cities.

Ottawa is one of the blandest, most boring cities I have ever visited. I can't imagine spending leisure time there. You likely don't like my favorite cities either.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Which are your favourites?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:01 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,440 times
Quote:
What is so appealing about HK? I don't get it.

Steamy/sticky hot, hideous buildings, loud, horribly polluted, no cultural sites of note, really nothing of global note. There's nothing really to do there but walk around and shop, I guess.
Except for the Highlighted areas you could apply this to Paris, New York City and London as well as many others.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:59 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Except for the Highlighted areas you could apply this to Paris, New York City and London as well as many others.
"...really nothing of global note. There's nothing really to do there but walk around and shop, I guess."

Yeah, those are the first things I think of when I think of NYC, Paris and London. Nothing at all of global note and nothing to do except shop! x10

Old 11-18-2017, 01:18 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
"...really nothing of global note. There's nothing really to do there but walk around and shop, I guess."

Yeah, those are the first things I think of when I think of NYC, Paris and London. Nothing at all of global note and nothing to do except shop! x10
Oh I forgot to highlight that.

Lol. don't need to go on a rage. Not everybody has to worship those cities as you do.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:
Oh I forgot to highlight that.

Lol. don't need to go on a rage. Not everybody has to worship those cities as you do.
Fair enough if you didn't highlight the parts you meant to

Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
NYC, Paris and London have none of these things. The air quality in HK is comparatively awful, the towers are 90% commieblocks, and there are no real cultural sites in HK.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
NYC, Paris and London have none of these things. The air quality in HK is comparatively awful, the towers are 90% commieblocks, and there are no real cultural sites in HK.
Lol

T-y !

Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Have you been there in the winter? It is not hot all year. What I like is the combination of the eastern and western cultures. The public transport system is extremely efficient and it is so easy to catch the airport train and travel around independently. The high density of the built environment is side by side with all the open space.
I can assure you I am not a shopper but if you are, there is everything from designer end to the fascinating local markets. I love the harbour. Last time we got the Star ferry and revisited the peak, then took a star ferry harbour cruise. It is fun to go to some of the outer islands. The time before we went to Lantau island.
The pollution varies with the time of the year but we have come across worse in many other places.
I find the people helpful, the food is great and everything is efficient. We have been there seven times, I think, and have never been picked up late or had any issues with bookings and so on.
Ottawa just has some nice looking buildings near parliament hill (a very small area) and some second rated museums, which all can be seen in a matter of hours. Then you walk 10 minutes further and you will be in the middle of a sea of typical mind numbing North American suburb. Any European city with more than 100,000 people is more interesting than Ottawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World