U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 AM

10,699 posts, read 9,270,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC, Paris and London have none of these things. The air quality in HK is comparatively awful, the towers are 90% commieblocks, and there are no real cultural sites in HK.
Living conditions in HK in general is pretty miserable, with most people living in super tiny space. There are families who live in 100 sq meter apartments. 20% of HKers live under poverty.

I am not saying HK is a horrible place, but despite is fame, it is by no means an attractive city to be, not to mention livable. I don't know why anyone would consider it "favourite".

As to east/west thing, I'd say it is 90% east and 10% west, and that's it. It can be more traditional than many place in mainland China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 AM

13,541 posts, read 16,277,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
there are no real cultural sites in HK.
It’s depressing if that is true. I’d like visit Hong Kong sometime. But my main reason for visiting cities is to enjoy the cultural attractions. The reason I love New York so much.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM

1,306 posts, read 413,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It’s depressing if that is true. I’d like visit Hong Kong sometime. But my main reason for visiting cities is to enjoy the cultural attractions. The reason I love New York so much.
You have the big Buddha with its cable car (impressive, but the hype dropped when I discovered it was finished in 1993, which is yesterday) you have the light show of skyscrapers at night (damn, thats disappointing) , you can take the funicular to see HK from the top (when you can see something...), then enjoy americans and western people in general, drunk in the bar district (most of customers aren't locals).
There are these markets everywhere on the streets where you can negotiate Chinese stuffs for peanuts... Restaurants can be good to pathetic. I had a good Vietnamese one, and a pathetic japanese one.

The metro is exceptional (really) , you can take a boat to cross the sea that separates the city, pretty in the night (at least when you stay only few days). Most of residential buildings are dirty (because of pollution), they aren't silver arrows touching the sky like the international commerce center, the city is clean in its financial district, else no. I was impressed by the cockroaches, their size and number impressed me. We have rats, they have these insects and rats, it's like that... They are unfortunately necessary but cockroaches are more visible because it's a tropical climate. There are also many homeless people -price of life is incredible- which is surprising. I'm use to them in Paris, but I wasn't in developed Asia (Japan, South Korea).

HK was my worst tourism experience. 2 days are enough for this city. First hours are magic because the skyline is really impressive but once you are used to it, it's quite boring. We are far far away from a Roma or a London. That's a modern city without anything particular except its skyline. I just wish Paris could have its metro and airport that are top notch!

I enjoyed 1 week in the little Fukuoka 100 times more !

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 11-20-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
why DID you think Hong Kong has a lot of culture? It has a very short history and was essentially an unknown fishing village 150 years ago. HK's prominence happened after the 1950s, how much culture do you expect it to have?

If you want culture, you might want to visit Guangzhou not too far away with a much longer and richer history.

Often western people's obsession with Hong Kong (and Singapore) confuses me. They are business and financial centres, but are rather boring from a touristic/cultural perspective no matter how much "east-west" thing one tries to claim. If one wants to visit an Asian city, why pick one where English is the official language? That's just odd logic. Why not just visit Toronto instead. If you want to visit Asia but don't want to deal with developing countries problems go to Japan instead.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:39 PM

6,189 posts, read 3,930,273 times
It's like some people are so sad and pathetic that they are just not capable to understand what the word "opinion" is referencing.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 PM

665 posts, read 997,541 times
There's more to a city than just cultural sites (which HK does lack in, but like I said it's not the end all be all for a city). Hong Kong blows London, Paris, and New York away in natural beauty.

Not saying it's better but for someone that wants to live somewhere with the amenities of a dynamic, global city while also having access to beaches, mountains, etc whenever they please, Hong Kong is nearly perfect.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM

1,306 posts, read 413,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
There's more to a city than just cultural sites (which HK does lack in, but like I said it's not the end all be all for a city). Hong Kong blows London, Paris, and New York away in natural beauty.

Not saying it's better but for someone that wants to live somewhere with the amenities of a dynamic, global city while also having access to beaches, mountains, etc whenever they please, Hong Kong is nearly perfect.
The nature right next to Nyc, Paris, London is pathetic, close to 0. You can push (for Paris) to Fontainebleau, Rambouillet, but I won't consider them, too classic even with their castles.
HK definitely better, yet It doesn't mean it's great at all... If there's one thing I don't remember AT ALL from my trip in HK, it's beaches and nature. Even by leaving the city a little...to see this good old buddha for example

HK, nearly perfect? lol, everyone has his own opinion after all...

I think I even prefered L.A and its 35 degrees and water at -10 degrees

Old 11-21-2017, 06:08 AM

148 posts, read 37,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ottawa just has some nice looking buildings near parliament hill (a very small area) and some second rated museums, which all can be seen in a matter of hours. Then you walk 10 minutes further and you will be in the middle of a sea of typical mind numbing North American suburb. Any European city with more than 100,000 people is more interesting than Ottawa.
I suppose that we didn't have high expectations and we were pleasantly surprised. But to be honest, I am not really a lover of cities. I travel much more to enjoy nature. One thing I love about London is that so much of it is low rise and that there are so many parks. I enjoy Hong Kong as the beautiful harbour breaks up the built landscape. We have been there a few times as we try to have a stopover when going to Europe, the flight being twenty-two hours. I prefer Hong Kong to the other main options of Bangkok, Dubai and Singapore.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:10 AM

13,541 posts, read 16,277,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
why DID you think Hong Kong has a lot of culture? It has a very short history and was essentially an unknown fishing village 150 years ago. HK's prominence happened after the 1950s, how much culture do you expect it to have?
Hong Kong is a very high-ranking global city. You wouldn't expect such a place to have little or no culture. Plus, you would think that a country with a 4,000-year history would know how to create culture out of thin air.

But I guess it doesn't quite work that way.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Hong Kong is a very high-ranking global city. You wouldn't expect such a place to have little or no culture. Plus, you would think that a country with a 4,000-year history would know how to create culture out of thin air.

But I guess it doesn't quite work that way.
China's cultural/economic centre had always been in the north, then moving gradually towards the south after the 12th century due to many wars and invasions in the north, but it was mostly just south of Yangtze River. Southern China for a very long time was considered an barbarian and uninhabitable region where prisoners were sent. HK was absolutely nothing prior to the mid 19th century. I am not saying it doesn't have culture - it does, largely due to influx of mainland Chinese in the mid 20th century, but it has always been more a financial and trade centre. HK music and movies were once very popular in the 1980 and 1990, now most singers and actors have to make a living in mainland China because the industry has been going downhill for quite some time and the economy is stagnant, losing its prior aura.

To the Chinese, HK has always been a paradise to shop cheap imported products. Nobody is gonna be impressed by its culture or touristic attractions. Guangzhou-Foshan is a much better place for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World