Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,347,444 times

Advertisements

It’s amusing how some bull**** dumps (I’m not naming them but well basically the Sinophone cities) receive so many international visitors while real great ones like Vienna or Lisbon aren’t even in top 25 and Barcelona only gets 23rd. That makes me question the validity of this report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,356,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It’s amusing how some bull**** dumps (I’m not naming them but well basically the Sinophone cities) receive so many international visitors while real great ones like Vienna or Lisbon aren’t even in top 25 and Barcelona only gets 23rd. That makes me question the validity of this report.
I agree one thousand percent with you

Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM

3,212 posts, read 2,221,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Top city destinations for tourists in 2017 | CNN Travel

What do you guys think? Agree ? Disagree?
I think top tourists destinations is more important than top "international" tourist destinations. For example, many in the US travel long distances to vacation in other areas of the US....they travel and spend their money further than someone in central Europe driving through 5 European countries that all tallied "international" tourists but actually received for less money for this.

Anyway, the US has 3.5 times more international tourism dollars than the next closest country (Spain) and also has a much large inter-country tourism that may of the smaller countries cannot compare with.

Likewise, China has a lot of inter-country tourism that doesn't get captured in this measuring of tourists.

Therefore, I feel measuring tourist destination the way they are doing is highly flawed.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,509,834 times
In short: Vienna.

I have, however, state that Paris is IMHO the most complete city of the world. A global city, with a power of influence only behind NYC and London (and not so behind), a cityscape preserving all the architecture of the past while also giving the value to the modern, plus lots of culture, entertainment and fun. All of this apply also to London, but Paris has the advantage of having Euro as official currency and and France belongs to the Schengen area, allowing to move more easily to other countries in Europe without all the bureaucracy of customs and currency exchange.

However... as the question is about the favourite city, I'll go with Vienna because it's like Paris, but it's cozier, not so overcrowded, the U-Bahn is better than Métro Paris and, as I'm fan of classical music, it has all that I like.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:42 PM

814 posts, read 851,540 times
Some cities have billions of people living not so far away, so they easily can have an extraordinary number of tourists. It doesn't mean that the most visited cities are the best destinations.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:09 PM

827 posts, read 682,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Hong Kong.....not my favorite city.

London
New York
Paris

Top three for most people I suspect.
Paris is #1 overrated city in the world.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:31 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,419,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
That’s just the point, and what makes this list flawed.

I can see Hong Kong being number 1 in terms of being a major transit point
but don’t tell me people prefer it over London, Paris, and New York.
I’m not buying it.
This person prefers Hong Kong to Paris and New York, but London to the other three. I have been to all of them several times and I love Hong Kong.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,664,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Paris is #1 overrated city in the world.
Ikr!

Old 11-17-2017, 02:43 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,246,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Shenzhen almost as visited as NYC? What the heck is in Shenzhen to see? It is not even the top 20 tourist city in China.
It's because they're counting "foreign trips", so everyone headed from HK to Shenzhen and vice-versa is counted. In short, it's a BS list.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:45 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,246,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
This person prefers Hong Kong to Paris and New York, but London to the other three. I have been to all of them several times and I love Hong Kong.
What is so appealing about HK? I don't get it.

Steamy/sticky hot, hideous buildings, loud, horribly polluted, no cultural sites of note, really nothing of global note. There's nothing really to do there but walk around and shop, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World