U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
654 posts, read 143,683 times
Reputation: 1023

Advertisements

There is clearly a flaw in the methodology. Three of the top seven are in Asia,so obviously, there is no drawback to Asian-ness. But then only two more in the next 20. What happened to the acceptability of Asia? Wait -- and then onlyh three more Asian cities all the way down to number 100. Three Asian cities can keep up with, even surpass, SF, LA and Chi. But virtually no other Aswan city, even in Japan, is a match for Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore. Even Richmond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 PM
 
913 posts, read 314,622 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There is clearly a flaw in the methodology. Three of the top seven are in Asia,so obviously, there is no drawback to Asian-ness. But then only two more in the next 20. What happened to the acceptability of Asia? Wait -- and then onlyh three more Asian cities all the way down to number 100. Three Asian cities can keep up with, even surpass, SF, LA and Chi. But virtually no other Aswan city, even in Japan, is a match for Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore. Even Richmond?
Tokyo is leading other Japanese cities by a huge margin. This is typical in many countries, the largest city(often the capital) has all the resources and population and the second largest city is left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2018, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
654 posts, read 143,683 times
Reputation: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Tokyo is leading other Japanese cities by a huge margin. This is typical in many countries, the largest city(often the capital) has all the resources and population and the second largest city is left behind.

You mean, Richmond Virginia has more of what make a city great, than any city in Japan except Tokyo? Richmond isn't even the biggest city in Virginia, nor even the second biggest, if you count all metros. Thirty-five "other cities" in the USA somehow didn't get left behind, which seems to defeat your reasoning. Only two cities represent the entirety of Latin America, neither i n the top 84. Latin America, somehow, got "left behind".

Last edited by cebuan; 02-04-2018 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,260 posts, read 670,000 times
Reputation: 1333
Rio de Janeiro behind Providence?
Shanghai behind Columbus?
Sao Paulo and Raleigh tied?
Tampa ahead of Venice?
Bangkok and Edmonton tied?
Seoul, Munich and Milan behind Calgary?
Sydney tied with San Jose (California)?
Moscow #5

What is this garbage list and why would someone post this rubbish?

My bucket list is based on Lonely Planet's The Cities Book Top 100. It's by far the best list. And isn't Western-centric either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
654 posts, read 143,683 times
Reputation: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

My bucket list is based on Lonely Planet's The Cities Book Top 100. It's by far the best list. And isn't Western-centric either.
Lonely Planet's 100 Best Cities in the World - How many have you visited?

Not clickbait (well, only two clicks) I've been ion 68 of them.

Just as ridiculous, if not more so. Dhaka? Do they mean the one in Bangladesh? Jasper??? (pop. 4,590) Hilarious.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-06-2018 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 AM
 
436 posts, read 151,187 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Rio de Janeiro behind Providence?
Shanghai behind Columbus?
Sao Paulo and Raleigh tied?
Tampa ahead of Venice?
Bangkok and Edmonton tied?
Seoul, Munich and Milan behind Calgary?
Sydney tied with San Jose (California)?
Moscow #5

What is this garbage list and why would someone post this rubbish?

My bucket list is based on Lonely Planet's The Cities Book Top 100. It's by far the best list. And isn't Western-centric either.
It seems a lot of this kind of lists are compiled by total autists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,260 posts, read 670,000 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Lonely Planet's 100 Best Cities in the World - How many have you visited?

Not clickbait (well, only two clicks) I've been ion 68 of them.

Just as ridiculous, if not more so. Dhaka? Do they mean the one in Bangladesh? Jasper??? (pop. 4,590) Hilarious.
Jasper's not on it. Not sure where you're seeing that. Do you mean Jaipur, the Pink City of India? That should absolutely be Top 100 for a tourist. I wouldn't put Dhaka in my Top 100, or Tokyo at a lowly 26, but the list is the best out there, especially for the developing world.

Last edited by manitopiaaa; 02-06-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
Status: "BUILD WALL; DEPORT FOREIGNORS" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,902 posts, read 4,903,761 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You mean, Richmond Virginia has more of what make a city great, than any city in Japan except Tokyo? Richmond isn't even the biggest city in Virginia, nor even the second biggest, if you count all metros. Thirty-five "other cities" in the USA somehow didn't get left behind, which seems to defeat your reasoning. Only two cities represent the entirety of Latin America, neither i n the top 84. Latin America, somehow, got "left behind".
I think CDMX, Buenos Aires, Lima, Sao Paulo, Rio, and Bogota should definitely get representation on a list like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
 
235 posts, read 302,881 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Rio de Janeiro behind Providence?
Shanghai behind Columbus?
Sao Paulo and Raleigh tied?
Tampa ahead of Venice?
Bangkok and Edmonton tied?
Seoul, Munich and Milan behind Calgary?
Sydney tied with San Jose (California)?
Moscow #5

What is this garbage list and why would someone post this rubbish?

My bucket list is based on Lonely Planet's The Cities Book Top 100. It's by far the best list. And isn't Western-centric either.
It's North American-centric rubbish.

Sydney is miles ahead of San Jose, as are most of those cities. Shanghai behind Columbus is laughable, as is Milan behind Calgary and Raleigh tied with SP. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Status: "BUILD WALL; DEPORT FOREIGNORS" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,902 posts, read 4,903,761 times
Reputation: 3869
>San Jose ahead of Berlin
Because eight centuries of history and culture just doesn't measure up to strip malls and In-n-Out Burgers

>Calgary ahead of Munich and Seoul
Because some town in the middle of frozen wilderness is more important than Oktoberfest and historical thousand year old palaces

>Salt Lake City ahead of Bangkok and New Orleans
Strip malls>>>Mardi Gras and ancient Buddhist temples. Don't underestimate the power of strip malls y'all

>Charlotte ahead of Philadelphia, Budapest, Manchester, and Copenhagen
Would you rather see some lame bell, or visit the world-renowned Romare Bearden Park. Don't know about you, but my choice is obvious...

>Phoenix ahead of Florence
Strip malls>centuries old architectural marvels and art

>Tampa ahead of Venice
Sorry Venice. Your historic canals just can't compete with the beauty that is the Tampa Riverwalk

>Sacramento ahead of Sao Paulo
Being the financial capital of all South America is just not as important as being the financial capital of the super-important Sacramento County

>Providence ahead of Rio de Janeiro
Yes Rio, we know that you have samba, beaches, delicious barbecue, amazing nightlife, and Christ the Redeemer. But Providence packs quite a punch with its 180,000 inhabitants, and don't understimate its seven historic hills...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top