Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

I would say the most overrated in the top 10, no wait, top 100 is Dubai. Come on, a soulless fishing-village now with shining skyscrapers, an extremely conservative oppressing society, absolutely inhuman climate and an economy the size of Helsinki.

Let's break it down:

"Place:
The perceived quality of a city’s natural and built environment, including the sub-categories of Air Quality, Weather, Crime Rate, Neighborhoods & Landmarks, and Parks & Outdoor Activities."

Ok, the crime rate is low and they have a few plastic landmarks, but weather, parks and outdoor activities? High temps above 100F (38C) for six months of the year, accompanied with high humidity and the relentless low-latitude sun. How can you do outdoor activities as merely standing in the sun is bad enough? The air quality is pretty much craptastic too. After all, you have to drive everywhere.

Product:
A city’s key institutions, attractions and infrastructure, including the sub-categories of University Rankings, Airport Connectivity, Convention Center, Entertainment, and Museums.

Attractions: none. Infrastructure is no doubt excellent and the airport extremely busy, but I always feel this is way overrated on these rankings. Ok, connectivity is important, but does not affect your daily life. After all, you probably might fly anywhere from Bradford.
University of Dubai - known for alumni like... well, nobody, as the institution is 20 years old! I read the university's 'code of misconduct'. Ok, most make sense, but drinking water during class, addressing the teacher improperly or badmouthing the university -> possible probation. Nazi Germany says hello.
Museums... about what? Fishing boats? Indians killed during the building of Dubai?

Programming:
The arts, culture, entertainment and culinary scene in a city, including the sub-categories of Shopping, Culture, Culinary, and Nightlife.

Probably vibrant. The Gulf Arabs are known for their laid-back easygoing liberal culture. Give a kiss and drink a bottle of beer on the beach after a nice 45C day -> sharia court. The food is probably good, I like Arab cuisine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosec...f_Marte_Dalelv

Seems like a load of fun. Can you even dance in Dubai, or is it also haram?

People:
The immigration rate and diversity of a city, including the sub-categories of Education and Foreign-born Residents.

60% of the population are Indian, Bangladeshi and other South Asians, in some parts living in totally inhuman conditions and treated like subhumans. For Emirati and Western expats it's a different story, but I wouldn't want to live in a city built on sweat and blood.

Prosperity:
A city’s employment and corporate head offices, including the sub-categories of Unemployment, GDP per capita, and Global 500 companies.

Probably fares well... for an economy the size of Bucharest or Edmonton. GDP per capita wealth is no doubt top notch. For now. Soon climate change will revert back Dubai to a fishing village.

Verdict:

Yeah, definitely the most overrated city on this planet. Nazi Germany with a hellish climate and the only fun you can do is to drift with a lexus and shoot a golden AK in the air. Yeah gimme a break. At least in Hicksville, Kansas I can breath freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 02:40 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Dubai really is overrated. It seems like a horrible place to visit if you're not a millionaire. I wouldn't say that anywhere on the Arabian peninsula should be on a list like this

Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
While Dubai is built for the wealthy, just saying one thing, it's collection of Hotels, Shopping and the fact that it is in a desert makes in unique from any other major worldwide city. I mean, literally five star hotel next to fives star hotel with excellent food and absolutely gorgeous architecture.
While some of the city is suburban their are definitely walkable areas in Dubai- https://www.google.com/maps/@25.2688...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
I don't see why people get so upset over a random list. Any publication can come up with their own list and we would get a different order.

Dubai is definitely overrated though, but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
While some of the city is suburban their are definitely walkable areas in Dubai- https://www.google.com/maps/@25.2688...7i13312!8i6656
I love how the "historic" district of Dubai is practically all 60's modernism. At least there was something there before all the glass skyscrapers, gives it a little more soul I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don't see why people get so upset over a random list. Any publication can come up with their own list and we would get a different order.
Let's be honest though, it's a pisssy poor list. Some lists are at least debatable - this is as I said **** poor.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
These garbage lists should all be burned.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:07 AM

9 posts, read 7,762 times
Dubai is heavily overrated, I wouldn't touch it even with a 10 foot bar even if I was rich. There is nothing to see except for hype.

Abu Dhabi is a turd as well.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
[Dubai] seems like a horrible place to visit if you're not a millionaire.
I think the best way to see it is as a Monaco for wealthy arabs, though it is definitely trying hard to rebrand itself as an omnicity.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
While Dubai is built for the wealthy, just saying one thing, it's collection of Hotels, Shopping and the fact that it is in a desert makes in unique from any other major worldwide city. I mean, literally five star hotel next to fives star hotel with excellent food and absolutely gorgeous architecture.
There are walkable shopping areas in Norrköping Sweden, but that doesn't make it the world's 6th best city.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
Surprised Mexico City and Buenos Aires aren't on that list. Both deserved a spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World