Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

Have you ever visited a place without being able to communicate with the locals because you didn’t know their language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 11:13 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Serious? What kind of question is this? I seriously doubt most international travelers know the language of the places they travel to. They all may share a common, non-native language, like English, but I doubt that a lot of Germans are going to be fluent in say Russian for a trip to Moscow, then turn around next year and be fluent in Turkish, oh yea, fluent in the language of every border country they may travel to.

Being I have traveled to well over 50 countries, not even close to knowing the language of the countries I have visited.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:10 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
Basically all of them except USA and London
Andorra, Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium (not the french part), SK, Japan, Hong Kong, Portugal, Slovakia....

It's more normal to visit without knowing the language than the opposite IMO...
If you travelled only in the countries that speak your language, that must be utterly boring :]

Old 12-08-2017, 04:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
All the time. I only speak 3 languages and have been to at least 20 countries.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM

165 posts, read 174,666 times
Well, yes, but I have always made sure to have some basic phrases on hand. It's not hard.

I'm a fan of:
hello
goodbye
excuse me
please
thank you
where is the bathroom?
two beers, please

People appreciate when you at least try to communicate in their language. It's easy to google to try to get the accent right.

it has served me well so far.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:42 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you ever visited a place without being able to communicate with the locals because you didn’t know their language?

Yes, Morocco, Algeria, and Greece, I got by okay in Morocco and Algeria, because as former French colonies, French was understood by a large chunk of the population, but it knocked me sideways to be told in Marrakech and Casablanca, where I was speaking French, that I had “un accent étrange”, (a strange accent.)
In Greece, the main thing that throws you is the Cyrillic alphabet, like Bulgarian or Russian, it’s not easy to see something self explanatory, like pharmacy, although the obligatory green cross is a give away.
If you stick to the tourist area in Athens, like the Plaka, they’ll speak English there, as they need to, to make a living, but anywhere away from the coast, it was pointing and sign language, and why not, it’s Greece, why should they speak another language?

Old 12-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Not only visited... but lived and worked in several countries (with my family) where I did not know the language.

Ordering at a restaurant can be a real surprise.

As can the times when the utility people show up at your apartment screaming at you (you couldn't figure out the bill...) and shut off the power (usually on a Friday night about quitting time)

And the border stops on the overnight train when you and your kids get tossed off the train (in the snow) for not having some special document (or enough local cash to pay off the guards).

Such are the adventures of living in different cultures.

Quote:
it’s not easy to see something self explanatory, like pharmacy, although the obligatory green cross is a give away.
Definitely find those Greece pharmacies!!! We got the best help and CHEAP meds there!!! way better than other countries. Very VERY cheap meds from our (USA) perspective. Fortunately they did not require a prescription.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-08-2017 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2017, 02:16 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
Well, yes, but I have always made sure to have some basic phrases on hand. It's not hard.

I'm a fan of:
hello
goodbye
excuse me
please
thank you
where is the bathroom?
two beers, please

People appreciate when you at least try to communicate in their language. It's easy to google to try to get the accent right.

it has served me well so far.
knowing a few words is not knowing a language

Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
knowing a few words is not knowing a language
I think that VTYankinME appreciated that, I guess that he meant that it showed the locals that you were politely trying to offer something in the host language.
When I went to Poland years ago with my Polish girlfriend, I knew that falling back on my French wasn’t going to get me far, so I made sure that I could come up with the basics, dzień dobry, (good morning, good day), do widzenia, (good-bye), proszę, (please), dziękuję, (thank you), tak and nie, (yes and no),
I’d already nailed Kocham cię, (I love you!)

Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Of course, it s one of the great pleasures of travel, i love listening to a different language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World