U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:24 PM
Status: "SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT" (set 6 days ago)

10,629 posts, read 4,595,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
It was obviously gonna lose to New York, but the comments suggested that a lot of people have no clue what it's actually like.
This. Most people seemed to think that it was a dusty town in the Sonoran desert, not a metropolis with world class museums and culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:26 AM

12,130 posts, read 6,174,811 times
1. Bangkok
2. Santiago, Chile
3. Phoenix
4. Sevilla, Spain
5. Kuala Lumpur

Old 11-28-2017, 02:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 9,297,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I was quite pleasantly surprised by the following three. Obviously picking the right season is helpful.
Penang Malaysia
Montreal Canada
Vancouver Canada
Montreal is probably the one of the three most beautiful cities in North America so I agree with that.

Vancouver on the other hand, is anything but underrated. It is grossly overrated IMO.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM

18,594 posts, read 23,015,476 times
Is Montreal really underrated though? It seems to me it has pretty decent international cred.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:48 AM

13,560 posts, read 16,301,708 times
I agree that Philadelphia is underrated in the United States. It's one of the top 5 favorite U.S. cities to visit, in my opinion. For a smaller city, I like Newport, Rhode Island. Nice vibe there.

I'm sure there are a ton of underrated cities in Europe and Asia that most people have never heard of.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM

2,751 posts, read 1,144,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I do think it's underrated, except perhaps among culture buffs or people who have actually been there. It doesn't figure prominently in the "great European cities" conversation, even after the usual suspects of Paris/London/Rome/Madrid, and it really should.

Also, numbers reveal only part of the story. The population figures will tell you that the urban areas of Moscow, Paris and London are anywhere between 2 and 3 times the size of SPB. But SPB's historic center is so massive and it's built on such a grand scale that it feels very much in the same weight class. It is undoubtedly one of Europe's most beautiful cities as well as one of its great metropolises. The reason it doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves is because it's in Russia (and therefore is somewhat isolated both culturally and geographically) and is not a big international business center.
Maybe so, but I think there are other cities in Russia that are more underrated since they are almost unheard of out side of eastern Europe, in particular I think Kazan is the most underrated Russian city on a global state. It has a population of 1,216,965 placing it in 6th, however it's often called Russia's 3rd city and has a fairly large historic district, probably the largest outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBzeLHlkKo

Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree that Philadelphia is underrated in the United States. It's one of the top 5 favorite U.S. cities to visit, in my opinion. For a smaller city, I like Newport, Rhode Island. Nice vibe there.

I'm sure there are a ton of underrated cities in Europe and Asia that most people have never heard of.
Philadelphia is indeed very underrated and out of the big four Northeastern cities, it is the cheapest. For a broke college student it is an amazing place to be

Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 9,297,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is Montreal really underrated though? It seems to me it has pretty decent international cred.
At least in Asia it is less known than Vancouver and Toronto. Some might not even have heard of it.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:10 PM

18,594 posts, read 23,015,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
At least in Asia it is less known than Vancouver and Toronto. Some might not even have heard of it.
For Asia I guess you're right.

It depends where you are in the world. In many countries OTOH people still think it's the biggest city in Canada.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
1. Bangkok
2. Santiago, Chile
3. Phoenix
4. Sevilla, Spain
5. Kuala Lumpur
Agree on Santiago very beautiful Downtown and a lot of eclectic neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World