U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:21 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,167,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I haven't had the opportunity for international travel yet but based on Google Streetview Moscow is stunning. Central area has amazing architecture and outer area has many impressive high rise developments. I've heard Moscow and St Petersburg have the world's best public transit.
best public transit is debatable, but most beautiful metro stations I think it's pretty safe to assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM

201 posts, read 54,437 times
Ottawa is one place that is underrated as is Canberra in Australia. Depends on what interests you, but both have many museums and public buildings and both have excellent war museums (of quite a different style) Both have good parks and a population of high income, resulting in a lot of good restaurants and other facilities.
As for Chengdu, we were there this year and really enjoyed it. I would not call it underrated as it is very well known here in Australia at least. The only problem that our tour group had with Chinese restaurants in general is that they still smoke and some people found that difficult. We all surprised ourselves by happily eating Chinese food for lunch and dinner for a month without getting tired of it. One highlight of that trip was Dali.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 PM

1,615 posts, read 664,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
best public transit is debatable, but most beautiful metro stations I think it's pretty safe to assume.
Haven't been to Russia, but how about Praha for those dropping escalators? Like a free roller coaster ride included in each one. And don't get me started about not having a hold on those accordion style busses. Still, cheap and easy.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:05 AM

836 posts, read 269,769 times
Mexico City

Old 12-05-2017, 12:12 AM

836 posts, read 269,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm sure if you pull out a smartphone you can find options, but I don't like to do that just for lunch. You have to admit the density of non-Sichuan option is very limited compared to a coastal city. In most of the city, even the touristy areas, over 90% of the food is Sichuan. I was walking down one of the large major avenues near the Big Little Alley (or something like that) for fifteen minutes and the only non-spicy and non-greasy food I could find is Starbucks. Subway is not that common in China and I didn't want fried chicken or burgers.

I guess I was disappointed in Chengdu because so many people oversold it as a beautiful, cultured city with the amenities of Shanghai but with none of the crowd and pollution. Most of the city in fact looks just like any other Chinese city, and the only "culture" that I see the locals engage in is Mah Jong. No one was playing Go or Chinese Chess or practicing calligraphy in the parks. Most of the teahouses that Betta mentioned are just normal looking establishments with cheap chairs and tables.
The Jinsha museum is the only cultural amenity that a foreigner can easily appreciate.
The city itself does not seem that attractive. The nicer, touristy parts seem too new and artificial, like other cities in China - the surrounding area does have nice scenery though.
I wouldn't recommend it to an oversea visitor for a first visit in China.
Chengdu has its own culture that is distinct from the rest of the country, but not really accessible to tourists. If you have lived there long enough, you'll note the differences.

I agree that it's not worth recommending to tourists. Plus the pollution isn't less in Chengdu.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 AM

10,644 posts, read 10,479,566 times
Quote:
I haven't had the opportunity for international travel yet but based on Google Streetview Moscow is stunning. Central area has amazing architecture and outer area has many impressive high rise developments. I've heard Moscow and St Petersburg have the world's best public transit.
I would not call them underrated though. But in my opinion, Moscow sucks unless you know some locals and kind of act like you live there. Yea, first time is nice and seeing all the sites and sounds, but gets old quick. St. Petersburg on the other hand, one of my favorite cities in the world.

Public trans is great in both cities, I do not know enough about world public trans systems to say they are the greatest or not, I just know they are better than the one here in Miami where I live.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM

9,301 posts, read 19,422,032 times
I'd say Canada's most underated city is Calgary. It is really clean with a futuristic skyline, diversity, a strong economy, and it's just over an hour to one of the world's most scenic parks (Banff National Park).

Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 PM

10,827 posts, read 9,373,221 times
Quote:
I'd say Canada's most underated city is Calgary. It is really clean with a futuristic skyline, diversity, a strong economy, and it's just over an hour to one of the world's most scenic parks (Banff National Park).
With an unemployment of 7.3%? Only a few months ago it was the highest in Canada.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 74 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
With an unemployment of 7.3%? Only a few months ago it was the highest in Canada.
And 7% is a big unemployment rate? In Europe that's a pretty low unemployment rate.

Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM
Status: "SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT" (set 16 days ago)

10,682 posts, read 4,639,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonex View Post
And 7% is a big unemployment rate? In Europe that's a pretty low unemployment rate.
In Portugal, Greece, or Spain 7% unemployment rate would be a pipe dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World