U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:48 AM

3,627 posts, read 1,673,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would read that as saying "135 is greater than 28." Thanks for the math lesson, Old Stone Marker!

(Seriously, is there any other context anywhere near that sign that indicates what those numbers and arrows are showing? Because the sign itself, in isolation, is quite a bit less than helpful.)
I would assume it means highway 135 this direction and highway 28 that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:50 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,618,510 times
Quote:
I would read that as saying "135 is greater than 28." Thanks for the math lesson, Old Stone Marker!

(Seriously, is there any other context anywhere near that sign that indicates what those numbers and arrows are showing? Because the sign itself, in isolation, is quite a bit less than helpful.)
They are generally known as milestones in the UK and there are thousands of them dating back as far as the Romans who used them across their Empire, some even give the miles in Roman Numerals. However they are not much use to modern car drivers wanting clear directions quickly.

Milestone - Wikipedia

The Milestone Society UK

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 10:11 AM..

Old Today, 02:29 PM

18,586 posts, read 22,989,901 times
These French ones are quite famous. The design can vary slightly. I've seen modern metal signs mounted on steel posts reproducing the exact same design. Kinda cute to be maintaining the style while conforming to modern signage standards.

Old Today, 02:39 PM

Highway signs in Canada differ somewhat from province to province. But distance signs tend to be similar all across the country. And similar to those in the U.S. This one below is from Eastern Ontario. In some other provinces including Quebec where I live, they don't include the "km" tag, I guess because well, you're supposed to know that!

Old Today, 02:43 PM

The sign above is on a freeway. For some reason Ontario and Quebec use upper and lower case on freeways, but usually it's all upper case on secondary (two-lane) highways.

Here is an example from Quebec:

Old Today, 02:51 PM

4,084 posts, read 2,430,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The sign above is on a freeway. For some reason Ontario and Quebec use upper and lower case on freeways, but usually it's all upper case on secondary (two-lane) highways.

Here is an example from Quebec:

I know that in the U.S., any sign that receives federal funding (which is to say, the ones on the interstate and U.S. highways) must be upper and lower case. I believe that someone did a study and determined that it was easier to read it that way, instead of all caps.

And that was before ALL CAPS became the printed version of screaming. Now, I look at your picture and I imagine someone screaming at me, "HEY!! GASPE IS 45 KILOMETERS STRAIGHT AHEAD! AND BOUGAINVILLE IS TO THE LEFT!!" Of course, they'd be screaming at me in French, since they're in Quebec and all.

Old Today, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I know that in the U.S., any sign that receives federal funding (which is to say, the ones on the interstate and U.S. highways) must be upper and lower case. I believe that someone did a study and determined that it was easier to read it that way, instead of all caps.

And that was before ALL CAPS became the printed version of screaming. Now, I look at your picture and I imagine someone screaming at me, "HEY!! GASPE IS 45 KILOMETERS STRAIGHT AHEAD! AND BOUGAINVILLE IS TO THE LEFT!!" Of course, they'd be screaming at me in French, since they're in Quebec and all.
Or maybe they'd be screaming "WHY THE HELL IS THAT TOWN NAMED BOUGAINVILLE WHEN THERE IS NO WAY A BOUGAINVILLEA PLANT COULD SURVIVE IN THIS CLIMATE?????"

Old Today, 08:34 PM

14,620 posts, read 15,697,112 times

Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World