U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 06:07 PM

953 posts, read 1,370,690 times

Advertisements

We can all agree to disagree over NYC. Yes, it's different. But we all have different opinions on whether it's different enough to be out of place or not. To me, it's not out of place because most arguments are only based on having to live without a car. It's actually by necessity. I used to work in San Francisco's Financial District, and I don't drive to work because just finding a parking space is very time consuming and also hideously expensive. I kept my car, but I do know people who also made do without a car. If these people change jobs to outside the CBD, they do buy a car, as they need one. What I am pointing out is these things happen in the US outside NYC too. When I vacation in NYC, I don't feel like it I am in a different country. Yes, downtown Chicago, downtown San Francisco and the CBDs of many other US cities can feel a bit like Manhattan, just in a much smaller scale. Not just the skyscrapers but also what is around it. Don't tell me Paris or Shanghai feels like Manhattan. They certainly don't! The only city that is outside the US that does not feel like it's in a different country from NYC is Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 PM

2,782 posts, read 1,162,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not really. Only small countries with one dominate city will do that.

Will Germans say Berlin is completely "out of place"? No. Rome for Italy? Madrid for Spain? Shanghai for China? Mumbai for India? Sydney for Australia? Toronto for Canada?

Even Paris is not so vastly different from other French cities, although the second largest is like 1/6 of its size, because Paris is just an over-sized French city, but people still have relatively similar lifestyle as those in other cities such as Bordeaux or Nantes, except a bit busier, more expensive and congested. Paris essentially looks the same as other French cities, the same type of buildings and infrastructure, public space, services (train stations, post offices) except on a much larger scale. On the other hand, the typical NYC city landscape and lifestyle is very different from most smaller American cities. And this makes NYC "out of place".
Those don't really apply because those cities you listed are not way ahead of the other cities, or even the largest. Frankfurt is similar in size to Berlin, Milan is similar in size to Rome, Hong Kong is similar in size to Shanghai, Melbourne is similar in size to Sydney. So those countries don't apply. NYC is way ahead in population size compared to the other cities, just like Moscow is way ahead of other cities in Russia in population size.

I still think NYC is unique, but I don't think it's enough to make it out of place.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 PM

796 posts, read 232,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Those don't really apply because those cities you listed are not way ahead of the other cities, or even the largest. Frankfurt is similar in size to Berlin, Milan is similar in size to Rome, Hong Kong is similar in size to Shanghai, Melbourne is similar in size to Sydney. So those countries don't apply. NYC is way ahead in population size compared to the other cities, just like Moscow is way ahead of other cities in Russia in population size.

I still think NYC is unique, but I don't think it's enough to make it out of place.
Yes, but what hes saying is that NYC is unique because of its level of urbanization rather than size. In many European cities, there is a greater degree of public commute, urban density/liveliness than in North America.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 PM

2,782 posts, read 1,162,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yes, but what hes saying is that NYC is unique because of its level of urbanization rather than size. In many European cities, there is a greater degree of public commute, urban density/liveliness than in North America.
so what, if nyc was in Europe it would be even more urban. For a city it's size it's not that urban, compared to European cities, is nyc = to London or Moscow in urbanity?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 PM

13,615 posts, read 16,348,120 times
I don’t think there is anywhere in the U.S. that is “out of place.” The U.S. is culturally and regionally diverse. Therefore, different places have some unique characteristics. Miami, California and Hawaii are all different. But nowhere feels different enough to be out of place. It all feels like America.

However, it’s not the same with Canada because Quebec is the only Francophone province. That makes it more different than everywhere else.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 PM

218 posts, read 51,009 times
I would say Auckland

Old 12-06-2017, 02:11 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,570,045 times
For Korea and Japan, it would be Jeju and Naha no doubt. Applies to most of the countries with temperate climate having a small portion of the island located close to the equator.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:47 AM

5,509 posts, read 5,335,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
For Korea and Japan, it would be Jeju and Naha no doubt. Applies to most of the countries with temperate climate having a small portion of the island located close to the equator.
In terms of climate, Sanya is unique for China too because it is the only real tropical coastal city. But in terms of culture, it is not too exotic for Chinese.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 AM

5,106 posts, read 3,210,499 times
I'm surprised no one has said New Orleans for the U.S. Not only does it have remarkably unique architecture, but the culture and local dialect are unlike anything you will find elsewhere in the country and seem to bear more similarities with a Caribbean city.

As others have said, NYC is most certainly not the only dense, bustling city in the US, but simply the largest. Honolulu's uniqueness is a given, being that it's located thousands of miles from the mainland.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,208,292 times
NYC? Are you kidding? It is quintessentially American. It has crazy amounts of diversity which reflect its Ellis Island roots and how it has continued to be a portal for immigrants to this day.

Out of place:. Miami. It feels like a completely different country from how the people look, the architecture, food and languages spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World