U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Status: "SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,667 posts, read 4,639,734 times
Reputation: 3716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What kind of people think of hot, steamy jungles in Chile and Argentina? Please don't tell me this is a common perception in the States - let's try to at least play down the stupid stereotype.
Oh dear. You'd think most people would realize differently, but you would be very surprised...

I've had people ask me if they have giant tropical insects in Chile or the chances of getting kidnapped by drug cartels in Argentina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM
 
505 posts, read 322,066 times
Reputation: 394
Sunny Beach is really out of place in Bulgaria. Really nothing Bulgarian about it...just look it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
2,318 posts, read 988,984 times
Reputation: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Yes! When you're right, you're right! If, of course, you don't count Boston and Washington and Chicago and San Francisco and Seattle and Los Angeles and ... then New York is absolutely unique!
New York density and lifestyle (no car to commute) isn't out of place in South America, Africa, Asia, Europe. San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and Seattle are the same density of Lagos suburbs or lower, Tokyo suburbs or lower, Paris suburbs or lower etcetera. While I will say in the density argument Seoul, Hong Kong and Istanbul definitely win due to the overwhelming majority living in apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
2,318 posts, read 988,984 times
Reputation: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think New York uniqueness just comes from it's size. The reason why LA is so different is because it's a sunbelt city and developed much latter, if all that growth had gone to Chicago instead, it would be New York City 2.0. Other wise every country is just going to name their largest city. Russia will say Moscow, Mexico will say Mexico City, Panama will say Panama City, Thailand will say Bangkok, Turkey will say Istanbul, Argentina will say Buenos Aires, Chile will say Santiago, Ukraine will say Kiev, Greece will say Athens, Japan will say Tokyo. If NYC is a agreed to be the most out of place city in the USA this thread is going to be very boring and predictable.
I disagree Osaka and other Japanese areas have similar lifestyles to Tokyo were the majority is using public transportation. Same with Paris, Montpeilier, Marseille, Lyon, Bordeaux don't look that different from Paris it's just scale. Chicago has ten million people and it's density is quite low(compared to the rest of the world) American style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Status: "SENSE OF PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: NYntarctica
10,667 posts, read 4,639,734 times
Reputation: 3716
It's different for other countries tho. In Russia I would say St. Petersburg or maybe a city like Grozny or Vladivostok is the odd one. Paris is pretty representative of France I would say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
629 posts, read 522,305 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What kind of people think of hot, steamy jungles in Chile and Argentina? Please don't tell me this is a common perception in the States - let's try to at least play down the stupid stereotype.

In fact only about 22 million people out of 422 million live in hot steamy jungles in South America; the biggest 10 cities of which being...

Manaus (Brazil): 2.1 million
Belem (Brazil): 2 million
Porto Velho (Brazil): 520k
Iquitos (Peru): 470k
Macapá (Brazil): 470k
Buenaventura (Col): 380k
Boa Vista (Brazil): 330k
Santarém (Brazil): 295k
Pucallpa (Peru): 210k
Florencia (Col): 160k
Obviously none of these people live in actual "hot steamy jungles", but totally urbanized cities, which I guess it is clear for everyone. However, if we count cities and towns built on areas which used to be tropical rainforests or that have the typical "hot steamy jungle" climate, the list must be expanded, and the amount of total population is much larger. You must count, for instance, big cities like Salvador, Fortaleza, Recife... even Rio de Janeiro may be considered. The place was once part of the Atlantic forest and has a fully tropical climate. I know there are awful stereotypes everywhere that are often enhanced and ridiculed, but it's not like the wet tropical environments are secondary in South America. It's just that there are still many other natural environments and climates that are also widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,233 posts, read 10,530,755 times
Reputation: 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
or the chances of getting kidnapped by drug cartels in Argentina
Its possible, especially if you stay near Bolivia (3rd largest grower of Coca in the World).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM
 
530 posts, read 226,675 times
Reputation: 302
Kashgar in the original thread post is in China but on the ancient Silk Road. Local Muslim turks and their culture are native to land. However, China certainly claims land ownership and any separatists attempts would be met with force.

Silk Road played a big role in world history and much of its fundamentals are still around. Europe aways wanted to trade with China (drove Columbus out to sea and found America), Muslims/Arabs are in the middle either helping or sabotaging the trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
15,851 posts, read 19,965,964 times
Reputation: 8087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
This may sound weird, but I always felt like NYC differs from the archetypal American city. While most cities in the US are characterised by a definitive CBD that becomes quiet after hours, with lots of suburban sprawl and an inadequate level of public transportation , New York breaks most of these stereotypes. It has a vast subway network, a highly urbanized core that remains lively throughout the week. It’s kinda ironic when you consider the fact that NYC is often used as the poster boy of the US, yet in many ways it’s a quite atypical American city.
I agree with this. New York is perhaps the least typical American city. Another would be Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 08:56 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
15,851 posts, read 19,965,964 times
Reputation: 8087
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
No different than the rest of the BosWash corridor.

I think Miami or Las Vegas are more "out of place"
Las Vegas has company with Reno and Atlantic City though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top